Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Crotally Tazy
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

Im experiencing some strange connection problems since using a router.
The wireless function works flawlessly all the time, but my desktop is connected using a cable to one of the router ports.

My connection would strangely stop working for a certain period of time for no reason at all, and then resume working again. Ive run some basic trojan scans with no results. Ive also recently formatted my desktop, but the problem resumed immediately.

When it stops working there are no error messages, it just behaves as though as there is no internet connection at all. Intervals range from minutes to a couple of hours. My router is set up using the automated bundled software.

Any ideas? :(

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
check your modem logs. i had similar problems before, the upstream power was way out of specifications >55

192.168.0.0.1 i think it usually is.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Try repairing the connection and see what error it returns. Also try pinging your ISP server and laptop to see if can.

I had a similar problem like this once, no internet activity was possible, but I could ping the ISP server, so I rang them up and they asked me to bring over my router so they could configure it properly.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
check your modem logs. i had similar problems before, the upstream power was way out of specifications >55

192.168.0.0.1 i think it usually is.
3 things here.

1. It's probably not his modem since the issue doesn't happen when he's on wireless.
2. to be able to telnet or http into the modem he'd have to connect directly to it first. As he's connected into the router right now he can't login to the modem.
3. 192.168.0.0.1 has one too many octets.

When it stops working, do you get the connection icon going on your taskbar? Like it's in the middle of connecting?
That's what I asked him

Also try pinging your ISP server and laptop to see if can.
I feel dirty for praising gamefreak, but this is also good advice.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
"
2. to be able to telnet or http into the modem he'd have to connect directly to it first. As he's connected into the router right now he can't login to the modem."

*cough* not being directly connected to my modem has never stopped my from accessing it via http.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
"
2. to be able to telnet or http into the modem he'd have to connect directly to it first. As he's connected into the router right now he can't login to the modem."

*cough* not being directly connected to my modem has never stopped my from accessing it via http.
Then your modem is on the same subnet.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
...well i did manage it once when it wasn't but i think i fluked that heh

·
Crotally Tazy
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This stuff is too complicated for me. :p
Sorry, but I forgot to mention Im using a single modem+router unit. Linksys if the information helps.

Okay,
Local Area Connection doesnt indicate "disconnected".

I dont get any icons on the taskbar, but the Connection dialer pops up prompting me to connect - and fails. I forgot the error message but its a common one; will take note next time.

And I have no idea how to check my modem logs or ping my ISP. How do I?

Thanks ya all.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
To ping your ISP you need to know it's server IP address. But since you can't connect I don't think that will be available. Anyway, in XP you click on the connection icon, go into the support tab, click "details" and see what number is given next to DHCP server.

Once you have that:

1) Go into start menu --> Run

2) Type "ping 192.168.1.1 -tl" (replace 192.168.1.1 with the server IP you got I just put in an example). A CMD window will open and if you should get regular replies like "Reply from 192.168.1.1 bytes:32...." if the ping gets through.

Provided that works, you can try pinging it with larger packets of data as well just by modifying the ping command slightly: "ping 192.168.1.1 -t -l 6500" (change 6500 with any number smaller then 65,000).

Edit: Pinging the laptop works similarly. Just see what internal IP address the laptop is getting from its connection icon and replace the server IP with that.

·
Crotally Tazy
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm sorry but whats the purpose of pinging the server? :p
I got replies for pinging with 32bytes packets, but not for 6500 bytes. Is it a coincidence that when I pinged the server I got my connection back? It only happened on the 3rd try though.

A troubleshoot by Windows Messenger gave a "Your DNS is unable to resolve IP addresses" error.

Thanks.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
most servers filter bytes above 2000

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
This might sound like a dumb question but, is the cable going from the desktop to the router loose?
It's not.

1. Ping your local host or 127.0.0.1 with the -t option.
2. While that is pinging, open another command window, ping your router IP with the -t option.
3. While that is pinging, open another command window, ping one of your Primary DNS address with the -t option. (ipconfig /all)
4. Also ping an internet address like 4.2.2.2(AT&T DNS) or a FQDN name like Yahoo!.

With all those up, check which ones fail. That should give you an idea where the issue resides.

If you think it's a DHCP issue, try to renew your IP when the issue arises. (ipconfig /release, /renew). Or give your connection a manual static IP and see if that clears it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.