Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let's get straight to the point, right?

Here's the problem: the "Sony Computer Entertainment America Presents" stays up for about... 30 seconds too long -- and the only way it will work is by turning on Full VRam Primitives (this is for Pete's OpenGL). The game will run reletively smoothly until I hit a battle, then it slows waaaaay down... of course, I heard that was an issue...? In soft mode (I'm using OpenGL; I'll tell you more in a second) it runs okay -- even has the spiffy blurry thing before the battle (sans proper transparencies); it's just that that runs incredibly slow and doesn't have all the convenient options that the OpenGL version does

You can see my system config, right? Here's what I'm using (when not soft):

Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.55 w/Default settings for Nice plus unfiltered framebuffer, 640x480, extended w/o sprites filtering, special game fix, fullscreen. I've tweaked around with several things and nothing speeds those battles up. SIO IRQ is enabled. Using Pete's DSound 1.12. All options checked in Config Sound.

I've tried Segu's D3D. Doesn't help.

Tried configuring every possible thing I could think of. Doesn't help.

Also, tried both my original disk and a BIN ripped from it. No good either way (though the BIN is nice since it speeds up access times...).

Every game but this one that I have on hand works. Any help? Please?

Edit: Oh, some other symptoms: when not using full Vram Primitives, there is a single line that flickers for awhile. Also, transiitions to battles (hit F3 after saving state with Soft driver) WITH Full VRam are really glitchy, and simply non-existant without... but again, I don't know if this is just an issue or what...

Another Edit: Doesn't look like it's showing my specs. Here they are, so you don't have to go and look them up:

Athlon 900 MHz, Radeon SDR 64 MB, SBLive!...that should be all that matters, I think.

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
Ok Try this for a workaround. Enable Full Vram Primitives and wait til you get past the part with the problem. Make a savestate or memory card save as soon can eg at the train station before the first battle. Exit the emu. Switch off Full Vram and restart the game. Use the save state to bypass the affected area and continue with your game. Hopefully there shouldn't bee a slowdown anymore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well...

I DID manage to get around it. Enabling Full VRam Primitives happened to give me a different effect (the words fade in and out very slowly). If I use the Peops Soft Driver, I can get around it.

I heard that the blurry transition to battles is glitchy unless Full VRam Primitives are enabled, yet when they are it only shows the first couple of frames. I think this has something to do with my vid card (the Radeon), because this doesn't happen with the Soft plugin. I figured all this out after I posted (and updated the plugins in a desperate attempt to find a way around this -- yay for version 1.56!).

Not that I'm ungrateful -- everything else runs just fine, and for free, the emulator and plugins work great.

But to be able to run it in OpenGL or D3D mode without some...bothersome glitches would be very nice :D

Anyway, thanks for the input!

·
Registered
27 Posts
aloah!
that's my config for ALL FF titles... IT WORKS FINE here...

sys: Win 2k / Geforce 2 MX 400 / 512MB RAM

ePSXe Settings:

video: Pete's D3D Driver 1.56 / 1024x768 16Bit / Texture Quality 2 / Filtering 6 / Caching Type 2 / FPS Limit ON / 60 FPS / Off Screen Drawing 2 / Advanced Blending 2 / Framebuffer Textures 1 / Alpha Multi. OFF / Mask Bit ON / Scanlines OFF / Unfiltered Framebuffers ON / Color Dithering ON / Full VRam Primitives OFF / Game Fixes OFF

sound: ePSXe SPU core 1.4.0. / Enable Sound ON / Enable CDDA OFF (HD Image... ) / Enable XA Sound ON / Enable XA Read ON / Enable SPU IRQ Hack ON

cd-rom: ePSXe CDR WNT/W2K core 1.4.0. / Acc. Timing OFF / cd-rom Status OFF

bios: scph7502

SIO IRQ Always on ON

hope it works for you , too ;)

cya

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, full config...and stuff

Okay, I turned on frame skipping and show FPS, and I found something interesting: that starting text gives me around 24 FPS and STILL takes awhile to load (other than that my framerate doesn't fall below 59.4 FPS normally). The battles still show only the first frame or so of the transition and flickers right after a battle's won.

Oh, this probably has to do with WinME. I *really* wish I could find a Win98 SE CD to use. Or, better yet, my SBLive! drivers, so I can actually reinstall it. I wish I had $90 to blow to go get an Audigy, and another $80 to get a mobo I want...

Anyway...yeah. Oh, and it freezes temporarily as it transides into battle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry for borrowing you your thread but I finally found the pic I was looking for.;)

With every plugin that I tested, when filtering is enabled you can notice that textues are tiled : the floor in the ff7 pic for exemple.(like moved to a direction) Whereas when filtering is disable you can notice that though the texture look pixelated there are no problem with the textures alignement.

Does anybody have an idea of where it comes from? (Maybe the filtering algorithm)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.