Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im new to this stuff.....and reall friggin clueless, i read the stickies and still am confused to what games i can play with this emulator......so far all i know is that you first have to somehow extract the xbe file and all the other files on the disc and the only way to do this is by a modded xbox or with a modded dvd player on the pc......but when u do extract these files one way or another can u actually play the whole thing or just stare at the menu screen??? and can i do this with absolutly any game ........like maybe halo 2 when it comes out after i extract the files with my friends modded xbox??? srry for being a newb.....but a nice clean answer would be nice.....thnx

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Hey we all start somewhere :p

Basically, no games would be counted as 'playable' meaning, like you said, you'll basically be staring at a menu screen and seeing some nice glitchy 3D Models. Cxbx and other Xbox emulators just aren't developed enough yet. Hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, but tell me.....why have an emulator that doesn't play games??? whats the point of this one and y would i even want it if i can't even play the games with it? i mean theres got to be some great ups to this program if so many people are into it and all......whats the great thing about this program that makes it so big as to the last topic before mine had like 2 thousand people look at it?????

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Well it is the first Xbox emulator that is in development. Not all emulators that come out work instantly. Chankast being one exception. You can't expect an emulator to work right away; the author who makes this one Caustik, has a life outside of coding his emulator so it is a long journey till it will be completed or able to play Xbox games.

The new consoles are a lot harder to code emulators for because they have much more complex instructions to give to the CPU.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Devastater said:
ok, but tell me.....why have an emulator that doesn't play games??? whats the point of this one and y would i even want it if i can't even play the games with it? i mean theres got to be some great ups to this program if so many people are into it and all......whats the great thing about this program that makes it so big as to the last topic before mine had like 2 thousand people look at it?????
One other thing. For many people, including me, it's more the technical aspect that we find enjoyable. If it plays games great :thumb: , but the journey is for us more important than the actual goal. However, it is a added bonus that other people will be able to play their favorite games in the future. As long as people know that it most likely won't play Fable/Halo 2/*insert you favorite game here* anytime soon.

·
Shadow of nothing...
6,071 Posts
Halo 2 is theoretically "possible", but don't get your hopes up

·
Registered
159 Posts
well it took a while to get turok working, mind you it was bloody fast for 2-3 people working on it, and holding down a normal life and job. Go CXBX developers!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, you are quite right. I hardly have time to fit school/family and friends into my schedule :( and certainly not a project of this size. I got just one word for the CXBX-team RESPECT!

And yeah, turok runs bloody well... Caustic made a genius decision to use "api-wrappers" instead of pure emulation. However this makes me wonder, will CXBX still work under Longhorn or will potential problems arise?

·
Registered
159 Posts
at this point its hard to tell about longhorn, right now, from what i'm told of people at M$ its still preatty much winXP.

A couple of months ago there was a thread in this forum, about how it still worked on longhorn (it was closed because longhorn is still not public, so nobody go there)

My guess is, that it will work, because its highly doubtful that MS would change their archtecture dramatically. IE 98 --> 2000 style jump

·
Shadow of nothing...
6,071 Posts
well it took a while to get turok working, mind you it was bloody fast for 2-3 people working on it, and holding down a normal life and job. Go CXBX developers!
Right indeed.

will CXBX still work under Longhorn or will potential problems arise?
The real question of concern is will it run under a 64 bit os? Or is longhorn 64 bit?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I dont see problems with it runing on 64 bit, its just a different compiler that you need to use. .NET 2.0 will be nativly 64 complient, as for the code itself it really doesnt matter (much, or enough) if its executed on 32-bit or 64-bit.

The more important thing with CXBX is to have the "win2k" kernell, which may be available in longhorn under "run under win2k" mode or something if its change dramatically

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
Chrono Archangel said:
A Dreamcast emulator that came out of nowhere and had an insane compatibility :)
it had it has and it deffinitly will have (bigger and bigger:D) ;)

·
Shadow of nothing...
6,071 Posts
pro-logic said:
I dont see problems with it runing on 64 bit, its just a different compiler that you need to use. .NET 2.0 will be nativly 64 complient, as for the code itself it really doesnt matter (much, or enough) if its executed on 32-bit or 64-bit.

The more important thing with CXBX is to have the "win2k" kernell, which may be available in longhorn under "run under win2k" mode or something if its change dramatically
Forgive me for any dumb questions here, but doesn't cxbx emulate it's own version of the xbox's strippified win2k kernel?

·
Registered
101 Posts
blueshogun96 said:
Forgive me for any dumb questions here, but doesn't cxbx emulate it's own version of the xbox's strippified win2k kernel?
It patches the calls to the actual Win2K kernel, adding whatever's missing along the way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts