Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
try changing the option to "automatically update." It may be that there is one little piece you don't have that needs to be downloaded. Happens occasionally. Restart Steam once or twice after updating just to be sure.

·
War Games coder
1,927 Posts
In order to play steam games offline, you need to log into steam, then log off. It's really stupid, and prevents me from buying any more games from anyone using that system, but it's the way it works.

In order for me to play HL2 offline on my laptop when I went to the arse-end of nowhere in Germany was to use 3/4 of my battery talking with Valve online on the freakin airplane to find that I needed to log in, log out, and for god's sake never reboot until I'd finished the stupid game. Thanks again, Valve :curse:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i love how i always seem to compleatly forget about threads i start then seem to remember them acouple days later.. :heh:

Killershots : yeah iv been trying that, (unless im missunderstanding you. do you mean that you have to be signed in atleast once every time you start your computer, then disconnect and start it in offline mode?)

according to steams site you have to sign in first, make sure your games up to date, AND says its 100% ready for offline mode. restart steam, then while your offline start steam and tell it to start in offline mode.

·
AKA snkmad
4,063 Posts
Havent been able to play offline too....

·
War Games coder
1,927 Posts
Raiden1803 said:
Killershots : yeah iv been trying that, (unless im missunderstanding you. do you mean that you have to be signed in atleast once every time you start your computer, then disconnect and start it in offline mode?)

according to steams site you have to sign in first, make sure your games up to date, AND says its 100% ready for offline mode. restart steam, then while your offline start steam and tell it to start in offline mode.
Yeah, that's what I mean. In other words, single player mode requires that you have been connected to the internet at least once to sign into steam, after which point you can sign out and be offline (and play as often as you like without an internet connection) at least until you shut down. When you start back up again, you'll have to log into steam again before you can go into offline mode.

·
AKA snkmad
4,063 Posts
And that totally defeat the purpose of offline games,doesnt it?
Hate Steam :cuss2: , Love Half-Life :wub: (1, 2 ....2029....)

·
Okama Way!
352 Posts
bizzarely, it didn't used to be like that, used to work in offline mode as long as signed in once then, as long as you were never stupid enough to connect to steam (or try o and fail due to rubbish servers) for any reason to play any other game or for any other purpose, you would be OK, otherwise it would force massive updates down your throat and not let you play (offline or online) untill it was 100% sure you had the latest version, a pain in the ass on broadband, game wrecking on dial-up.

Then I think they changed something, now, as said, you it seems to reset offline mode every time you reboot meaning that people with dial-up are even worse off (if thats even possible).

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
yeah, that's what i was thinking when i tried this thread. "old" steam would automatically go into offline mode if there was no internet. well maybe if there is enough outrage they'll change it back....

·
War Games coder
1,927 Posts
Heh, I doubt they have any intention of fixing it regardless of the outrage - or at least that was the attitude I got from my talking to them over the internet on the plane. Consequently, when I eventually had to reboot, I never bothered to sign on again. Lost a customer for life for that kind of policy.

·
Registered
378 Posts
haven't heard from the guy w/ the problem. Wonder if its fixed.

wikipedia said:
Privacy concerns have also been raised, as one needs to login and validate with Steam online at least once in order to play any Steam game. While there is an offline mode available, critics point out that it can only be accessed when not connected to the internet - there is still no command line parameter.
That sucks. I was hoping there was a command line switch to do what I'm detailing below.

Basically, if you never intend to play online, set up Windows Firewall (or your router, whatever you use) to completely ban both the steam client exe and ports 1434 (apparently used for SQL servers), 27007, 27014, and 27035. These are the only ports steam uses when I logged it in and out (three times). That should keep you offline, even if steam complains that you have internet but no STEAM access. Also, since Steam uses ports 27005 and 27015 to connect to other games, LAN access should still work (didn't test this though).

edit: did some tests. Steam goes through windows firewall like butter, even when instructed to deny access to the steam exe, so if you want to do a PC side ban, you'll have to invest in a third party firewall.

·
War Games coder
1,927 Posts
Let me know if you actually test that and get it working. From my experience, even if you have no internet access at all (ie next to a pig farm in the middle of Germany many many miles from anything) steam will not allow you to play anything in single player mode. I tried hard and failed. Unless they changed the way steam operates over the last year (and they were adamant they wouldn't when I talked to them) that won't work.

·
Registered
340 Posts
masque said:

That sucks. I was hoping there was a command line switch to do what I'm detailing below.

Basically, if you never intend to play online, set up Windows Firewall (or your router, whatever you use) to completely ban both the steam client exe and ports 1434 (apparently used for SQL servers), 27007, 27014, and 27035. These are the only ports steam uses when I logged it in and out (three times). That should keep you offline, even if steam complains that you have internet but no STEAM access. Also, since Steam uses ports 27005 and 27015 to connect to other games, LAN access should still work (didn't test this though).

edit: did some tests. Steam goes through windows firewall like butter, even when instructed to deny access to the steam exe, so if you want to do a PC side ban, you'll have to invest in a third party firewall.
Yeah, windows doesnt block outgoing connections, just incoming.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
masque said:
Opps.. i really gotta remember my threads. :heh: :innocent:

Killershots said:
Let me know if you actually test that and get it working. From my experience, even if you have no internet access at all (ie next to a pig farm in the middle of Germany many many miles from anything) steam will not allow you to play anything in single player mode. I tried hard and failed. Unless they changed the way steam operates over the last year (and they were adamant they wouldn't when I talked to them) that won't work.
Yeah actualy i read that post awhile ago, Yep i had to log in atleast once just to get offline mode working, after then i can start things in offline mode.. by the way, never ask valve support team anything.. their not real bright. threw the same auto response at me Twice before i finaly left them alone. oO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.