Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the Orange Box with the intent to give away the parts I didn't need, Half Life 2, Ep 1 and 2, and Portal. I figured I could do some good and get Team Fortress 2 cheap.

The weird thing was Steam didn't want to let me give Ep 2 nor Portal. In fact in the end I was NOT permitted to give away a copy of Portal even though I previously owned a copy of the game.

The weird thing to me is you can gift the set, but you can't gift some of the parts, which makes no sense. Some people may have spent $49 when Half Life 2 was released and not wanted to spend another $39 for Orange, others may not want everything, others may buy the additions, why not let us choose what to do with our extra copies? After all if the person I gifted the games to enjoys them he may buy Team Fortress and they get another $10-$20 and if they don't they got me to buy Half Life Eo 1, Ep 1 and 2 pack, Portal, and the Orange Box, isn't that good enough?

I swear they are so greedy they can't see that giving duplication helps them in the long run.

oO :???:

·
Read Only
0 Posts
oO They should let you transfer the games as gifts..when I bought the orange box ages ago it added 1 copy of HL2 and one copy of EP1 to my gifts place and I was able to give them away just fine. Maybe they changed the rules?

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Nope. It's been Valve's policy all along not to be able to gift duplicate games. The lone exception was/are the Half-Life 2 games if you purchase The Orange Box. That's why those of you who've gifted those games could do so. They didn't change their policy. It's just that one game.

Gift the game(s) you'll be getting a second copy of before you buy the extra(s).

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
....games with cd keys..... as long as you have (or give it to another person...without keepign a copy) you or that person can just download a replacement disk image without retribution....

·
I'm sexy and I know it!
4,935 Posts
The idea of Steam is good, since if you lose your disks for whatever reason, you can just download the games if you want to install/play the games again.

Anyone know if you can download Far Cry via Steam? (Yes, bought the game a few years back)

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,728 Posts
The idea of Steam is good, since if you lose your disks for whatever reason, you can just download the games if you want to install/play the games again.

Anyone know if you can download Far Cry via Steam? (Yes, bought the game a few years back)
yes, but you'd have to rebuy it. Except for Valve's own games, games bought in stores aren't the same as the steam versions.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It accepted my Unreal Tournament III code for some reason?

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree, I just thought it was strange....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.