Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to see a movie today and before it came on there were the usual trailers and ads. Among these, was the one about video piracy, which in response most people think, "I didn't know you could download movies!?". But as I was watching this ad it kept portraying the message, "Don't steal because its against the law". I think that statement sounds a bit off because its almost saying that if it wasn't against the law that stealing would be okay. But no, this ad neglects moral and the fact you're taking something that isn't rightfully yours, you're just 'breaking the law'.

Maybe I'm over-reading this ad, but educating people on morals has seemed to have taken a lower priority than teaching people to simply 'obey the law' without understanding it.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
They're just going for the "scaring" aproach, same here, they try to scare ppl of stealing, we got ads like that here too "Piracy is a crime punishable up to 3 years in jail!"

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
teaching on morals is really the only way to go. Many people want a reason, but the thing is, is that teaching on morals really only works on youth because when we are older we feel we have it figured out. When we listen we think we are being open minded but since we don't even try to bring it in to our lives or consister, it really just the same as being close minded and not even hearing the message at all.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
They are preaching to the wrong group of people aswell. Whats the point in telling everyone who actually paid to go see the movie that they shouldnt steal?

·
Registered
608 Posts
I think one of the quote Ngemu has says it quite nicely; it's something like "the moral ones will obey the law regardless, while the immoral ones will find a way around it." I believe it was by Plato.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Hsun Tzu believed that human nature is inherently evil and that laws were put in place to deter the nature from manifesting. I tend to think he has a point since there are no laws promoting good deeds but rather punish the bad.

Now in this case the ad is going exactly the wrong direction since you figure most of the people going to the theaters are generally legitimate. Otherwise they just would have downloaded the movie and not gone to the theater in the first place. In other words, they're preaching to the choir, which is not an especially bright tactic.

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
well, one guy in the audiance might be the guy with the video-camera :D maybe he'll be scared.

But anyway, even if I plan to buy a DVD. I think going to the movie theatre is a much better experiance, those guys downloading it just gets to sit ( in front of small screen ) or decent sized TV ( and probably not even with DVD quailty ). In the movies you get a huge screen and most of the time better sound too.

Not to mention going to the movies are great for dating ( well, aside from once when my date fell asleep... ouch.. but I got it back later that night ) :) , I think a much better approach is spreading movies and torrents which instead of having the actual movie has that commercial, or a CIA guy cooming on screen saying we know you're downloading a team will be there soon... now that'd be scary!!!

·
Registered
774 Posts
I don't even consider piracy "stealing" myself. In order to steal something, you actually have to take a something away from someone. With piracy, you can't neccesarily prove anyone lost anything. Many times people only pirate things they wouldn't buy, or better yet, go out and buy the things they pirate which they like the best. Not that I'm condoning piracy, I'm just sick of people putting it in the same class as theft. Besides, some people think this whole copyright thing is on it's way out anyway...

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
I don't even consider piracy "stealing" myself. In order to steal something, you actually have to take a something away from someone. With piracy, you can't neccesarily prove anyone lost anything. Many times people only pirate things they wouldn't buy, or better yet, go out and buy the things they pirate which they like the best.
It's funny because everyone I know that does pirating says that. Still they hardly ever buy anything even if they say they though it was really good. Besides it never stops to amaze me how stupid those people are then it comes to piracy, they're clever and they can do math. How will a expensive movie ever be made without copyright.. people donating money for it? How will we see any new games? If you steal candy from the store, you steal something they bought for money.

If you steal a movie, you steal from the people who put their time into making it. It's naive to say "I would never have bought it anyway", or "I'm not stealing from anyone" that's just for feeling better about doing it.

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Piracy is stealing in the way that you're taking something without paying for it or presenting an equivelent trade, and in that way its the same as theft.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Those ads make me sick.
You're at the movie, you've paid your ticket price - why are you being preached to?
The real crime is charging $30.00 for a new DVD when a blank DVD costs about $0.10 if that and the packaging probably costs $1.00. Who is the real criminal?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
jdrake said:
Those ads make me sick.
You're at the movie, you've paid your ticket price - why are you being preached to?
The real crime is charging $30.00 for a new DVD when a blank DVD costs about $0.10 if that and the packaging probably costs $1.00. Who is the real criminal?
Except when you buy a DVD, you are not just paying for the raw materials used to manufacture it.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
ChankastRules said:
It's funny because everyone I know that does pirating says that. Still they hardly ever buy anything even if they say they though it was really good. Besides it never stops to amaze me how stupid those people are then it comes to piracy, they're clever and they can do math. How will a expensive movie ever be made without copyright.. people donating money for it? How will we see any new games? If you steal candy from the store, you steal something they bought for money.

If you steal a movie, you steal from the people who put their time into making it. It's naive to say "I would never have bought it anyway", or "I'm not stealing from anyone" that's just for feeling better about doing it.
Although I agree that there are people like that, there are also many who DO pay for some things, while pirating others. For example, once in a while I pirate a game just to see what it is like. Up until a couple of weeks ago, I had never played a GTA game in depth. So I downloaded Vice City and played for a while. Had I really liked the game, I would have bought it. But once I had a chance to play it, it is no longer on my hard drive. Other games I just buy outright because I want to support the developers --> I bought DQVIII about a week ago and am loving it.

·
band
4,912 Posts
the whole pirating to try out a game idea seems kind of odd to me when you could pay a small amount to RENT a game (i think when you rent a game, the devs get support too) and then decide if you want it or not. if you like it, buy it, if u dont, don't buy it ...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.