Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I run an AMD FX-55, which is a 64-bit processor. I also run Windows XP x64 edition. When I tried to run a known good game from ePSXe, I got dumped into a debugger (crash). I changed the GPU plugin, and now instead of crash I just get a blank screen. PCSX gives me the same treatment. This happens either from the disc or from an iso.

Is there any work going on to provide an emulator with x64 support? I don't really even care if it's native 64-bit or not; all I want is to be able to play my games without the emu crashing.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
im gonna install xp 64-bit this weekend, gonna run a few test myself.
Since pcsx is open source, someone could port it to x86-64...

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
hmm, it may have to do with what drivers you're using for your graphics card. what is your graphics card and what drivers are you using? what plugin are you currently using for video?

also, PSX emulation is 32bit, and will probably remain that way forever, unless some ambitious person decides to make a 64bit compile of PCSX (or if Xeven does it for PSXeven...give him an A64 and maybe he will!). it doesnt really matter though, it's not like you need the extra speed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hushypushy, thanks for replying. Sorry I didn't see it for so long; I'm visiting my folks right now and they're on dialup X_X.

I'm using an ATI Radeon 9800 pro with the latest Cat drivers (I wanna say 5.12 but it might not be that...I don't have that computer available at the moment). I generally use Pete's OGL2 plugin, but when that crashed under Win64 I also tried Pete's DirectX plugin and the PEOPS Soft GFX plugin. The soft plugin didn't crash but just displayed a black screen, all the other plugins crashed. I have had no problems with any of these plugins under my old Windows 2000 installation using the same graphics card...

I would be glad to do testing for any emu devs who want to work on an x64 version. I also have a copy of Visual Studio 2005, including Microsoft's latest C++ compiler, so I would be glad to contribute a 64-bit build. I don't currently have the time to deal with porting PCSX myself (even if I did have the skills, which I'm not sure I do).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Someone on another forum told me that he had ePSXe running under Win64, but then apparently he suffered a fatal heart attack and died since I have not heard from him since. Has anyone even gotten it running?

I selected the null graphics plugin, null CDR plugin, and no sound plugin. I then tried to run the BIOS (just the BIOS, not a game or anything), and ePSXe crashed. So it seems to me that ePSXe is fundamentally incompatible with 64-bit Windows. Has anyone had a different experience? What needs to be done to make it work?

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
a few people on here have windows 64 bit....you should poke n_w95482 via IRC or perhaps PM, he is a win64 owner and an avid PSX emulator.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
I just tried it out and it worked perfectly, using Pete's OpenGL2/OpenGL/P.E.Op.S. soft GPU for video, Eternal 1.5 beta for sound, and Mooby's ISO plugin. Perhaps you should try deleting and redownloading your ePSXe files, deleting the registry entries, or reinstalling your drivers.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
So it does work uh? glad to hear that, any speed loss running it on 32-bit mode?

OT:So thats how task manager works, it tells you what programs are 32-bit. Nice... ;)
Another question, u have to dl the SP1 for XP 64-bit?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, it's good to know that at least theoretically it does work under Win64. I wonder if the crash is because of some difference between the 64-FX series and the Athlon64 series, or if I have a setting borked up somewhere. I'll try smiting the registry entries and reconfiguring to see if that helps.

Thanks!

·
IceyD the Ice Cold Prince
176 Posts
This might be a stupid answer but have you tried combatbilty and changeing it to windows xp? it might help or it might not its just a suggestion

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Iceydamo, thanks for the suggestion. I have tried every compatability option (from Win95 up to WinXP) with no luck.

I deleted all the settings from the registry, downloaded a clean binary, and ran it from a different folder. I also tried using the Mooby disk image plugin instead of choosing 'run iso' from the menu. None of this helps; it still crashes. I tried using different BIOS files with no change, and this has pretty much exhausted my repertoire of stuff I can think of to try.

Any other suggestions appreciated :)

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Maybe its related to your gfx card drivers.
Have u tested any games for pc on it?

Here it worked just fine:
epsxe 1.6.0, petes OGL 1.76, peops SPU, peops CDR (although it crashed when i tried configuring it) so i used a ISO file, front mission 3.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Me also, and works like a charm here...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.