Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would any emulators be able to play Panzer Dragoon Saga at close to full speed on a
Athlon XP 1800
Radeon 9700 Pro
512 DDR Ram
 

·
" U2K Tha Greate$t "
Joined
·
214 Posts
be back later with some information on that question....

Going to do some testing.
 

·
Canadian Spaceman
Joined
·
8,767 Posts
Moved to saturn emulation.

The General: Instead of posting a useless post like that you go do your testing, and then come back and post the information you found out?
 

·
General of Tangerines
Joined
·
3,934 Posts
Sadly the state of Saturn emulation is poor.

Most of the English Saturn emulators can barely run the games and the only emualtor that can run games is not in English.

I baffled to why it's taking so long -- almost 10 years-- to develop a decent Saturn emulator.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,330 Posts
Poor? No way, it's amazing. SSF, although requires a CPU with SSE2, has incredible compatibility, speed, and supports sound quite well. If you're implying it's only in Japanese, no.. by default it's in english, actually. Its website is in Japanese, but it's not necessary. Shima is really working his ass off to bring this to us.. I really respect the guy.

Satourne is also very promising these days, as well. :)
 

·
Familiar Face
Joined
·
4,971 Posts
I think SSF is killer. I got to play Clockwork Knight for the first time in 10 years, and found I was still able to beat it.:p I'd say the Saturn emulation scene is getting very good lately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,327 Posts
emusnicker said:
Would any emulators be able to play Panzer Dragoon Saga at close to full speed on a
Athlon XP 1800
Radeon 9700 Pro
512 DDR Ram
Azel Panzer Dragoon is one of the few games that girigiri-gav can play rather well, actually. the backgrounds might seem really jumpy, but otherwise it should work fine.
 

·
General of Tangerines
Joined
·
3,934 Posts
cooliscool said:
Poor? No way, it's amazing. SSF, although requires a CPU with SSE2, has incredible compatibility, speed, and supports sound quite well. If you're implying it's only in Japanese, no.. by default it's in english, actually. Its website is in Japanese, but it's not necessary. Shima is really working his ass off to bring this to us.. I really respect the guy.

Satourne is also very promising these days, as well. :)
I was referring to girigiri as the most developed emulator.

Last time I tried SSF it couldn't even run Radiant Silvergun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,330 Posts
Um.. the last time you could even try SSF was many versions ago. Now Shima recoded his SH2 compiler with SSE2 instructions, and thus, it requires a P4 (or P4 Celeron) or an Athlon64 to even open. It's no contest, SSF is the best Saturn emulator currently, no argument necessary. Regardless, you can't expect Saturn emulation to be nearly enjoyable with a P3 733.

Yeah, and Radiant Silvergun is flawless.





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,327 Posts
RZetlin said:
I was referring to girigiri as the most developed emulator.

Last time I tried SSF it couldn't even run Radiant Silvergun.
That must've been a pretty damn old version because even the 0.06 versions of SSF can run it fine.

By the way, last time I checked girigiri-gav, it couldn't even recognize Radiant Silvergun as a game.
 

·
General of Tangerines
Joined
·
3,934 Posts
Borisz said:
That must've been a pretty damn old version because even the 0.06 versions of SSF can run it fine.

By the way, last time I checked girigiri-gav, it couldn't even recognize Radiant Silvergun as a game.
cooliscool said:
It's no contest, SSF is the best Saturn emulator currently, no argument necessary. Regardless, you can't expect Saturn emulation to be nearly enjoyable with a P3 733.

Yeah, and Radiant Silvergun is flawless.
Eh? What is with this silly nonsense about GiriGiri can't play Radiant Silvergun on a P3 733? :nono:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,330 Posts
And it's completely fullspeed, no issues whatsoever? I doubt it.
 

·
General of Tangerines
Joined
·
3,934 Posts
cooliscool said:
And it's completely fullspeed, no issues whatsoever? I doubt it.
For P3 it's half the speed the game should be running at.

But I had the chance to test girigiri with Radiant Silvergun on a P4 and the game runs flawlessly.

As you stated cooliscool, SSF doesn't run on a P3 so girigri is the best Saturn emulator to load up Saturn games on older machines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,091 Posts
Eventhough SSF does not yet emulate the same amount of games as Girigiri, however what SSF does emulate it emulates better than Girigiri.

Personally, I can't wait till SSF emulates Panzer Dragoon Saga. It's nice that Girigiri curently runs it, however girigiri doesn't do the game justice.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,299 Posts
Emm... SSF already runs Panzer Dragoon Saga. It even runs a lot of games that do not run or have serious problems on Giri giri (ie: Sonic 3d, Sonic R, Virtual On, Thunderforce V, etc.)
However, Giri giri is indeed the best choice for people with slower CPUs or CPUs that don't have SSE2 support but I sense that this is going to change when the next version of Satourne will be released...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,091 Posts
PsyMan said:
Emm... SSF already runs Panzer Dragoon Saga. It even runs a lot of games that do not run or have serious problems on Giri giri (ie: Sonic 3d, Sonic R, Virtual On, Thunderforce V, etc.)
However, Giri giri is indeed the best choice for people with slower CPUs or CPUs that don't have SSE2 support but I sense that this is going to change when the next version of Satourne will be released...
Opps, you are right PDS is fully playable; the graphics are almost flawless, and the music sounds awesome :) the only drawback is I have to play it at work where I have access to a P4 :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,330 Posts
No. They are capable of SSE, not SSE2. Athlon64 added SSE2 instructions.

Intel debuted the technology with P4, so all P4s are capable of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,327 Posts
I must've confused it with Soukyugurentai, Radiant Silvergun indeed runs on Girigiri-gav.

Well, it runs at 40 fps on my Athlon XP 3100+, the backgrounds are updated with insanely heavy framedropping (and generally out of sync), many transparent backgrounds do not show up properly, and the music sounds like morse code on a NES, but it runs.

By the way, some Athlon XPs do have SSE2. The ones which are built on the Athlon64 core, but missing the 64bit extensions, sometimes have SSE2 enabled because of an error. Note that the core is fully capable of SSE2, as it is a Athlon64. The bastards just disable it for whatever reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,330 Posts
There's no AXP built on the A64 base. You may mean Socket 754 Semprons, which do, and are supposed to. Not to mention they are now 64-bit parts, code BX.

There are no Athlon XPs with SSE2 support.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top