Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· -PM to advertise here-
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've reached 4th out of my 8th Semester of getting a BS in Computer Science and from last semester I decided to jump into some Directx 3D games programming.

So far, I have not been able to do much, I am still a newbie in C++ .... just managed to render a few meshes and a bit of DInput and that's that. Of course I am moving forward slowly, but I wanna ask.......is there any "scope" or future as a games programmer?

I am attaching here the work I have done on this "game engine" so far. I'll be quite grateful if anyone can check and tell me what improvements I can do in the code that has already been written down, as I am not very good at managing classes properly.

And I wanna do a "ding dong" here to know if anybody here has jumped into DX game programming .... as I can REALLY use some help and guidance.

Thanks!

· Transcended
1,421 Posts
Well, a Syed Fawad post is enough to jolt me out of stealthspace...

Sorry if I can't help you with DX though, since I've concentrated on OpenGL/SDL. The academe I came from leans toward openness and cross-platform compatibility more. And I suck at C++.

But I can answer you quite well that there's a darn good future in games programming. It's quite a niche, with relatively fewer openings. But they pay *quite* well actually. Even if majority of gaming programmers want to, very few get the opportunity to get into EA, Epic, Blizzard, etc... Besides, the academe has not been quick to recognize the demand in a lot of places. I guess not a lot of people are cut out for it too... you need to be quite comfortable with number crunching... a LOT of it. :)

Full Sail is a school dedicated to game programming. It wouldn't exist without a sizeable demand, for sure. I have a friend there, and they're currently working on their final project. See http://www.elementxgames.com if you want a peek.

But I'll grab your engine anyway and see what I can do about it, given my limited knowledge. It should be interesting, nonetheless.

Anyway... congratulations!

· -PM to advertise here-
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Prafull said:
OMG OMG !!! Look who is posting ??

Just noticed you are back.... Nice to see you entering programming stuff. Good luck man. Join Saqib and help the team soon .. ;)
Well yeah, I'm back........just got frustrated out of my real life coleagues/buddies. Anyways, I wanna know who Saqib is......the name sounds Pakistaniish. Who is he?

And Kraelis......I remember you to be someone I knew well and you changed your nick, just tell me your old nick to refresh me, I am damn sure I know you well.

Well, a Syed Fawad post is enough to jolt me out of stealthspace...
Oh c'mon.......I've grown too sober since my previous days at NGemu. I really miss that period though, having mindless debates over which console is "better". lol.

But I can answer you quite well that there's a darn good future in games programming. It's quite a niche, with relatively fewer openings. But they pay *quite* well actually. Even if majority of gaming programmers want to, very few get the opportunity to get into EA, Epic, Blizzard, etc... Besides, the academe has not been quick to recognize the demand in a lot of places. I guess not a lot of people are cut out for it too... you need to be quite comfortable with number crunching... a LOT of it.
Donno buddy, I am still confused if I am to live in my !(beloved) country :p or not. In any case, I am just too damn eager to learn games programming as much as I can........at least learn to implement shaders or use a programmable pipeline. Its far off, I know......but let's see. Going steady and since I get no "backup" from my real life, I come here to my dear ol' NGemu. I know there thousands of much better game developer boards, but I just enjoy here :p I'll join some other too....but NGemu is more fun!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.