Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something magical happened...
I was playing Galaga (in Namco Museum) again, and I used the Gamepad Pro USB because to be honest it is STILL the best pad to use when all you need is digital controls. Suddenly, I don't know if it was the pad or what, I wanted to play this really old game Jedi Power Battles. As if I was cursed to love this game :laugh:

Anyway, I dug out the game and the memcard file. The game has 5 regular characters (Jedis) and 3 hidden ones. On my save I only had 2 characters completely finished (all levels all skills, I think). That'd be Obiwan and Mace Windu. So I decided to start playing another Jedi, Adi Gallia.

This game is primarily a beat'em up in 3D, but it's also a platformer, with a bit of character building (gain more skills). The beat'em up nature of this game makes it incredibly replayable. While the save point system (instead of instant respawn) keeps the game challenging. I can't believe that after finishing two characters, I still get the Game Over screen on the second level when playing with the this new character. It's like I am playing this for the first time again.

Just a few shots from the first 2 level. I'll try to make more shots next time.

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.6
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
GFX card: RADEON 8500 DDR x86/SSE
Resolution/Color:
- 1152x864 Fullscreen - Desktop changing [32 Bit]
- Internal X resolution: 1
- Internal Y resolution: 1
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off
- No render-to-texture: off

- Filtering: 0 - edge clamping supported
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- TexWin pixel shader: off
- VRam size: 0 MBytes - 196 textures usable

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 1
- Framebuffer effects: 0
- Framebuffer uploads: 1
- Subtractive blending: activated

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Mdec filter: off
- Screen filtering: on
- Shader effects: 0/1
- Flicker-fix border size: 0
- GF4/XP crash fix: off
- Game fixes: off [00002000]

S

·
0 Posts
have it on DC, and indeed, quality game :)

I see you're still enjoying the gravis :)
I don't use mine anymore, but I did modify my current pad to work better, and also fixed a gamepad for MSX I found; you could say I was inspired by that tutorial of you I once followed to make the gppro better :)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool Samor, actually when I wrote the tutorial, it was for the gameport version of the gamepad pro. And I originally played this game with that too. Yeah the mod helped me moving in the intended direction :D But some time after, I bought this USB version on a big sale, and it came with some Disney games too :heh: the d-pad is much better and didn't need any mod. BTW I normally use the Hammerhead FX USB, which is great for everything from Street Fighters to N64 to Dualshock emulation. But as they say sometimes, less is more ;)

This game is actually the only Playstation game I can think of where you have to constantly use all buttons and d-pad. I don't really remember how it goes with the Dreamcast version, because it's got less shoulder buttons. You don't have a speed button and a force button, right? The DC version looks way better of course.

I just wish LucasArts would wise up and do a follow up on newer hardware. This game is too good to be forgotten. I think it redefines the genre for the transition to 3D. Other 3D beat'em ups don't really have the same feeling as the good o' 2D ones, but this one does.

S

·
0 Posts
takwu said:
cool Samor, actually when I wrote the tutorial, it was for the gameport version of the gamepad pro. And I originally played this game with that too. Yeah the mod helped me moving in the intended direction :D But some time after, I bought this USB version on a big sale, and it came with some Disney games too :heh: the d-pad is much better and didn't need any mod. BTW I normally use the Hammerhead FX USB, which is great for everything from Street Fighters to N64 to Dualshock emulation. But as they say sometimes, less is more ;)
I actually used your MOD on the USB one, so you could say I made the effect of the MOD 'stronger' ...worked good for me. Btw, it is true that the USB one is less problematic, but I didn't find it too comfortable until I modded it.

The pad I'm using now is the Thrustmaster Dual Power 3; it had a crap d-pad; however, I also had an inferior old (early) model (with bad analog controls) that used a simpler, but far better d-pad design. Switched that around and now I have a pad I'm pretty happy with; it's good in everything. ...I really don't understand why they swapped such a good d-pad with a more complex but really crappy d-pad design in newer versions.

For the racing game fans: DON'T get the Thrustmaster 360 Modena Uforce gamepad; the regular Dual Power is better, even in racing games (bigger analog sticks allow more precise steering... just don't get the very first models since they have inaccuracy problems and a dodgy button layout (1 -4 as shoulder buttons...what were they thinking?)...afaik the Dual Power 2 is the same to the Dual Power 3 but still has the good d-pad design.

And if I had to buy a new pad now I'd probably go with Saitek. Cheaper and better than Thrustmaster.

This game is actually the only Playstation game I can think of where you have to constantly use all buttons and d-pad. I don't really remember how it goes with the Dreamcast version, because it's got less shoulder buttons. You don't have a speed button and a force button, right? The DC version looks way better of course.

I just wish LucasArts would wise up and do a follow up on newer hardware. This game is too good to be forgotten. I think it redefines the genre for the transition to 3D. Other 3D beat'em ups don't really have the same feeling as the good o' 2D ones, but this one does.

AFAIK the DC one has a force button; I haven't played it in a while though.
To be honest the DC one looks sort of like N64 on a higher resolution...better than PS, but one would wonder if it's a game that was canned for the N64.
This sounds odd, but I've seen Star Wars Ep. 1 racer on both an N64 emulator (beefed up gfx) and DC and they were remarkably similar... and Jedi Power Battles has similar graphics quality.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, my Gamepad Pro is the version with Disney games, not the original USB one, so there's a slight chance they improved it again? BTW it's translucent red, but I don't mind :D

With the unmodded gameport version, if you pressed the d-pad in any direction, there was a stronger tendency to go into a corner than staying straight. Trying to stay straight was like trying to roll your mousewheel between two clicks... mmm I hope that's a good example :rolleyes: In the Disney version I use now, at least if you go straight, it tends to stay there. You have to push a tiny bit harder to go into the corners; so once you learn to not press too hard, you can distinguish straight and corner presses relatively easily. I think I am over analysing again...

As for new gamepads... Logitech just released the new Rumblepad 2. It's got a round disc d-pad (FINALLY). But I haven't tried it.

Saitek gamepads? I thought their d-pad wasn't particularly nice. And having only one pair of shoulder buttons pretty much disqualifies them ;)

Ok I better go make some more screenshots before this thread goes out of control <-- bad pun :emb:

S

·
0 Posts
takwu said:
Actually, my Gamepad Pro is the version with Disney games, not the original USB one, so there's a slight chance they improved it again? BTW it's translucent red, but I don't mind :D
nothing wrong with translucent red....
that modded gamepad of mine, you can tell the difference because the old model had different colors.... so now I have blue buttons, but a grey d-pad ;) ...however, it doesn't look THAT weird..

With the unmodded gameport version, if you pressed the d-pad in any direction, there was a stronger tendency to go into a corner than staying straight. Trying to stay straight was like trying to roll your mousewheel between two clicks... mmm I hope that's a good example :rolleyes:
it is ;)

In the Disney version I use now, at least if you go straight, it tends to stay there. You have to push a tiny bit harder to go into the corners; so once you learn to not press too hard, you can distinguish straight and corner presses relatively easily. I think I am over analysing again...
sounds pretty much like the USB one after modding it.

As for new gamepads... Logitech just released the new Rumblepad 2. It's got a round disc d-pad (FINALLY). But I haven't tried it.
It's too bad you can almost never probably test these things; I have no idea if it would be any good...

Saitek gamepads? I thought their d-pad wasn't particularly nice. And having only one pair of shoulder buttons pretty much disqualifies them ;)
well, aren't there any models with 2 then? Otherwise, that would be a bummer. A friend of mine has a Saitek with only 2 shoulder buttons though.. but it played well in fighters (I liked the d-pad, and the 6 buttons on front are streetfighter-friendly)

Ok I better go make some more screenshots before this thread goes out of control <-- bad pun :emb:
okay...
speaking of which, I wonder if the levels are even completely the same in both versions of the games.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
levels 3 and 4 :thumb:
I think I'm getting the hang of it. Plus I got the Attack bonus, which really helps a lot :)

But I better finish this quick, because toysrus has this buy 2 get 1 free offer on GC Player's choice games... I got 3 today (mario golf, f zero, metroid), and maybe 3 more tomorrow :evil: So that might keep me very, very busy.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, I did buy three more GC games (RE0, luigi, zelda) so it was kinda hard getting back to this.

But anyway, I did.
Level 5 was Tatooine; fighting sand people (you cannot reflect their bullets like blaster shots), jumping from rock to rock, meet Darth Maul :D

I couldn't get past level 6 :emb: Corusant; jumping between roof tops and flying cars... I think this Jedi (Adi) is too fast. I just need more practice...

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it is :)
Which reminds me I should get back to this game again. Altho I'm also tempted to play the many many GC games I have now...

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
YES! i love when people post PSX screenshots. even though sometimes the graphics can look like crap sometimes, i love it :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts