Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an about 7 year old PC and am having issues making Star Ocean 2 run correctly. It playes the opening FMV fine but when I get to the Start/Continue screen it's glitched up with cut out box with Start, Continue, Voices, and surrounded in a black screen. I tried starting it and after setting up the basic battle config and it gets all weird and choppy when the voice tries to start. I quit trying there cause' I figured if it has that many issues right off the bat, it'd only get worse. I've played through several games on this old piece of crap before, such as Breath of Fire 3&4, Ehrgiez, and Brave Fencer Musashi with minimal problems. This computer seems to be just barely good enough to run them with good performance. I'm wondering if Star Ocean 2 is just too much for my PC or if I should try another PSX emulator. I've tried several different versions of ePSXe but no other kinds of emulators because I've more or less read that ePSXe is straight up superior. I've also tried configuring the video plugin in various ways with no results. Here's what I'm working with:

Sony VAIO
Pentium 4 1.80 GHz
512MB RAM
Windows SP3
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64

epsxe 1.7.0 (though I've used a few different releases)
Video Plugin-Pete's OGL 1.77 (tried several versions but not the "best" ones since they said you needed an acual decent computer to use them)
Sound Plugin-ePSXEe CORE 1.7.0 (tried a few but figured this would use the less memory so sticking with it)
CDRom- Core- I'm running ISOs so I doubt that matters ::shrugs::

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,828 Posts
you could try using the psx emulator psx adn see if that runs better for you. it doesnt use plugins and its great for older hardware like your using

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
^This.

otherwise, the D3D6 plugin is optimised for graphics hardware lacking HW TnL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Is there a way to toggle the FPS on pSX? That's one of the main reasons I prefer to play emulated games, I like to triple the game speed on RPGs during all those tedious random encounters.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nevermind, I figured it out. The answer was in the emulator's Misc. Configuration. Not quite as fast as I'd like, but I'm sure that's more of a matter of my PC's speed then anything else. Oh, the joys of figuring out new emulators. :) I'm digging this one, though. Pretty compatable with an old computer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts