Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Unlimited...
6,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Star Fox is back and not thanks to nintendo.

Star Fox: Shadow of Lylat (PC) by B2cool

What is this?

This project is a fan made standalone game that runs on the FreeSpace Open engine. It is not a mod since you do not need FreeSpace in order to run it. Shadows of Lylat is not for any console system, and we are not affiliated by Nintendo, Argonaut Software, Namco, Q-Games, or anyone else terribly important. To play it, all you will need is a fairly recent computer system. Exact system requirements aren't set yet, but they shouldn't be that bad.

So what's going to be in it?

A great many things...
Lots of playable craft, including 3 different Arwings
Weapons galore
Massive enemies, both new and old
Space and ground based missions
A deep storyline
Multiplayer
And much more!

When does the story take place?

The story takes place between Star Fox 64 and Star Fox Adventures. Yes, there is content from Assault, but there are good reasons for that.

Will we see Andross?

No. Next question.

Is it going to be just like Star Fox?

No. Star Fox is more of an arcade shooter, while Freespace is a simulation shooter. While the SCP allows us to do many awesome things, we won't be able to get it just like the original games.

Can I help?

Yes! Even if its one thing, it does help us out a lot. We are really looking for texture, effect, and concept artists, but we are always looking for other positions as well. Send a message to DaBrain or Axem if you have any skills that you want to lend to this project. Voice actors are welcome too, but if you want to apply for being one, check out the Voice Acting Casting Call thread.

Why is Shadows of Lylat a special game among the Freespace 2 open games?

Shadows of Lylat is ment to push the engine to it's limits, using the most recent features the engine has and will get. We're using everything we can to make sure it is always one of the most advanced games based on Freespace 2.

When is it coming out?

It will be done when it is done. We're doing this in our own and for zero money, so that's the best we can give you. That being said, we're trying our best to get a demo done for people to try. When that comes out is another bunch of wonderful question dodging. We're working on it.

Will this run on a Windows, Mac or Linux?

The engine is cross platform, so it should run on any major platform.

What is the high-end package?

The high-end pack is ment for users with real high-end machines only. It features extremely high-res textures for some models and might feature some more complex models. It's gernerally stuff, we decided to remove from the main game, as the visual improvements do not justify the performance loss on most PCs. You need a 512 MB gfx card to use this pack.

http://www.shadowsoflylat.net/

---

I hope nintendo dont go all Square Enix with this guys. They should let this continue as an apology for the atrocities they have commited with the franchise after SF64.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Yeah, I worry Nintendo might shut the project down.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Sounds/looks Orgasmic :drool:
Indeed this just became my most anticipated game on the PC together with Card Sagas Wars.

First Trailer:

And a Youtube link for the Trailer in Noja's post:

Yeah, I worry Nintendo might shut the project down.
Unless they used in the game some nintendo material (like textures and such), they can't do a thing if worst comes at max they got to rename the characters though i highly doubt it it will come to that.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Yeah, Star Fox Assault is a cool game. I remember getting hooked on it at a KMART Gamecube Kiosk, and the funny part was THEY DIDN'T EVEN HAVE THE GAME FOR SALE!

Yeah, let's advertise games WE DON'T SELL!

Well they made FYE happy, as I purchased a copy at the local mall instead of KMART!

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
It's only a matter of time when you use the trademark of a company that big.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
It's only a matter of time when you use the trademark of a company that big.
Perhaps a dark truth is that no company (Nintendo, Squaresoft, Sony) wants to see amateurs code better games than they made, but on platforms the companies don't want to support. Nintendo wants you to buy their games on their systems, not competing systems, ditto for Sony. They probably see a decent PC fan made game as not only a threat to their current gen console but an insult to their company, after all, don't Asian based companies have a different way of looking at their work than American or European companies? They seem much more attached to their data than others.

Just IMSHO ;)

:evil:

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
yeah, no need to start advertising your work unless you plan to release it soon. But just don't start crying home to mama when a project you created which is based off someones intellectual property is ordered to be shut down, but I'm sure they know the risk they run when creating these things.

Cool project though.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
imo this guys should keep it quite and just release everything at once when is ready. 6 years of develpoment on this just to drop it at the last minute sucks. Just like that Chrono Trigger remake.
That Chrono Trigger that got shut down by square wasn't a remake it was some kind of middle story between Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, also in that one they used data/material from the snes version of Chrono Trigger which made Square entitled to shut there project since it was THERE FILES that got used in to making game, so legally they had the right. But with this i honestly don't see from a legal point of view what nintendo can do, since its being developed on a open source engine which has nothing to do with nintendo and i really doubt they used files from one of Star Fox's games, like i said at best nintendo can complain about the names (including the name of the game), but if that's the case all the devs got to do is change them and from a legal point of view Nintendo can't do a thing. Which is why i don't think they'll even do that it will mean just bad publicity for them, being owned by some random people who made a free game. From a illegal point of view they could hire a hitman and take out the devs of this game.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
yeah, no need to start advertising your work unless you plan to release it soon. But just don't start crying home to mama when a project you created which is based off someones intellectual property is ordered to be shut down, but I'm sure they know the risk they run when creating these things.

Cool project though.
True, I really think they should stay under the radar until it is ready to be released on torrents. Don't even think of taking credit publically. Make sure you stay anonymous and you should be safe. A letter isn't going to help much if the final product is out in the wild already.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Cool project. I'm also skeptical its ever going to see the light of day with the start fox name though.

They've used the name in its title. And likeness of characters/ships.

A good example of why this is dangerous is Xenogears/Xenosaga. You can't create new content from someone else's intellectual property without their consent. Especially if it looks profesionnaly made (because most companies will let it lide if it looks very amateurish - aka fanfics and the like).

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Hmm i feel ignored here... i think i'll offer a example in a racing game or any game involving cars, you need the approval/license of automakers to include there cars (and like with the NFS series and some others important ones they can even put certain limitations in the game like: no car damage, yeah that's right blame it on the automakers), but big time games like GTA and some other games have been doing fine without getting a license on using there cars, they just included the cars without using the real names and look they been doing it for some time without any problem. So why can't the same apply to this game ? (change names everything is ok)

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
the cars look similar but are never carbon copies of what they are trying to produce. These guys are using the name and all likenesses of the game which is trademarked, licensed and copyrighted to Nintendo making it their sole intellectual property. If Nintendo decide to go after them they have the strong case to say that these developers are in breach of the trademarks that Nintendo have and can order a cease and desist notice. If they change the name and all likenesses then the mod will be fine, however no matter the platform that it is being written in and no matter what agreement that the devs are going under, unless they have written consent from Nintendo to release this game, for free or for any money, then Nintendo have the right to stop them, if they so do wish.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
But with this i honestly don't see from a legal point of view what nintendo can do, since its being developed on a open source engine which has nothing to do with nintendo and i really doubt they used files from one of Star Fox's games, like i said at best nintendo can complain about the names (including the name of the game), but if that's the case all the devs got to do is change them and from a legal point of view Nintendo can't do a thing.
They can still complain, they're using their IP, Nintendo can claim that releasing a free game based on the Star Fox franchise, even if it doesn't use material made by N themselves, can hurt potential future sales of the game by diminishing the interest toward the series. (whether or not this is true is a completely different matter, I personally believe it would help if the game is good)

That's not the only way Nintendo can ask for the project to be shut down either, but that's the one that seems to be the most commonly used when fan-made games receive a Cease and Desist letter (from what I've seen, at least).

They would have to change the models of their spaceships, the levels may not need to be touched a lot tho. Even if Nintendo ask them to stop, it would probably be worth it to simply modify their game a little bit, considering how much time they spent on it.

Either way, looks like it could be pretty damn fun, I'll definitely try it whenever they release a demo.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
They can still complain, they're using their IP, Nintendo .....

They would have to change the models of their spaceships, the levels may not need to be touched a lot tho. Even if Nintendo ask them to stop, it would probably be worth it to simply modify their game a little bit, considering how much time they spent on it.
Well GTA and other games use IP of automakers, (they just don't use the real names) though strange there doing just fine, i don't think there's a need to change the space ship models only the names in the case of a Nintendo attack. Although if this also contains characters then in that department there might need to do some remodeling.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Well GTA and other games use IP of automakers, (they just don't use the real names) though strange there doing just fine, i don't think there's a need to change the space ship models only the names in the case of a Nintendo attack. Although if this also contains characters then in that department there might need to do some remodeling.
There's quite a bit of difference tho. It depends on how closely the cars look like the real ones, if they don't look too similar they can still use it.

It also depends what they use as their "excuse" to be able to use them. There's quite a few things they can claim to still be able to use them (if they didn't ask permission first), thing is, they have a legal department to take care of those things, unlike the guys behind fan games. (Ex : Rockstar can claim their cars are a parody of the real ones and try to get away with it. But people making a fan game won't be taken seriously by big companies no matter what they claim.)

But the guys would have to change the spaceships if Nintendo sent them a C&D letter, there's really no way around it. They need to show that they're not using the SF IP anymore, and the ships are quite a big part of that IP.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
6 years of development and a premature trailer without taking the legal part in to consideration (especially since there was that small scandal whit Chrono Trigger) don't know it just doesn't add up. And no Rockstar or others didn't ask permission or permission was not granted to have permission to use them (the cars) means also permission to use there names. Still speculations will do nothing this is going to far lets just hope the game is out without any problems.

·
Premium Member
17,148 Posts
The game looks very nice.. i hope they can finish it before Nintendo come to the idea of shuting the project down ;)

Anyways i think i should create my own Starfox game maybe.... so what do you think about that???(check out the attached file)

Basic controls:
Right-mouse-click = Rotation 1
Left-mouse-clik = Rotation 2

Enjoy until the game comes out or until i decide to write my own lol ;)

Regards
@ruantec

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.