Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"The SSSCA is a bill, pushed by the entertainment industry, to be proposed in Congress by Senators Fritz Hollings (D-SC) and Ted Stevens (R-Alaska). The acronym stands for "Security Systems Standards and Certification Act. The law would force all new personal computers and digital home entertainment devices sold in the United States to have government-approved "policeware" built-in. This policeware would restrict your use of copyrighted material on these devices -- including music files and CD's, video clips, DVD's, e-books, and more."
Read more here.
Americans, please sign the petition here.

·
Registered
680 Posts
luckily i don't live in the USA

- for you americans, you should fight for this policeware shit. you don't want to have some invicible cop to spy on you 24/7/356 when you're using your computers right?

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I dont live in US but once such thing is passed in US it will start in every other place.
Thats really really bad.One should have some privacy.It really makes me angry.:mad:

·
Scourge of the Seven Seas
2,412 Posts
This is insane! What some won't do to suppress people! I'm definetely gonna do more than just sign the petition! Look out, Adam Schiff!! But politely. :)

·
playing FGO
10,134 Posts
Since alternative operating systems like Linux and FreeBSD would most likely refuse to incorporate government policeware into their code, users of these open-source systems would also be eligible for hard time.
....time to move to another country, guys. :p

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I blame Piracy for it...
To many stupid people ripping people off. It's bound to Pass eventually, everyone should prolly just get used to the Idea.
Blame the pirates...and the lamers who aren't willing to buy stuff :(

S

·
0 Posts
If that passes, they better start building jails already....

that way you get a waiting list:
"sorry, jail's full, i'll put you on the list, come back in ten years and we'll put you in"

anyways, weird laws like that shouldn't pass.

S

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by dpence
I blame Piracy for it...
To many stupid people ripping people off. It's bound to Pass eventually, everyone should prolly just get used to the Idea.
Blame the pirates...and the lamers who aren't willing to buy stuff :(
you could also blame the big boys in the entertainment industry for being greedy.
..they want you to pay for EVERYTHING...and I mean EVERYTHING

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Originally posted by Xeven
a cop on your pc? that would SUCK!:eyes:
Besides the obvious problems, I see a number of other potential difficulties this article does not bring up. Besides the "obvious" uses of the software, other things could be monitored. Lecherous teachers (or other fragile employments based on reputation) everywhere could very well find themselves out of jobs.

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts
and now you get to go to jail if you use linux/freeBSD?:eyes: (now is there a conspiracy there kai?:p) IMO, this is an idiotic move.. I know that the entetainment industry will most definitely benefit from this, but whatabout the user? Like, if you wanna burn a backup of your own freaking cd, you get a freaking police clearance or something? :eyes: all shareware has to be tagged and you'd go to jail if you exceed the 30-day trial period by one day?:eyes: .. i could go on an on about how silly it is.. and how the hell are they going to monitor your pc if you don't have a net connection? will a cop come to your house and check that you haven't screwed the software? or will you be forced to connect to the freaking net? (not that that's a bad idea :heh: ).. and howbout people from other country going to the US for business trips? if you don't have the policeware... gag that BATARD! and put him in computer jail! :D:D:D

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's stupid that they'd even try, but I'm thinking that it's just too outrageous to be accepted. Just like the perposal to allow the RIAA and copyright holders to hack and take down systems which had illegal MP3s on them. What a load of s***!

S

·
0 Posts
anyways, it's good that it gets attention, otherwise weird laws like that might just pass....

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
> and now you get to go to jail if you use linux/freeBSD

I particularly find it ironic they just went through the Microsoft antitrust case and this law would throw Windows right back into even more of a monopoly than it was before the case.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
well, I build my own computer, so what, I would I Have bring it in and get apporoval, this is BULLSHIT, but thanks, you finally gave me an Idea for my editorial paper in English.

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
I don't live in USA, but I think that's an absurd! And how are they going to control who have this policeware? That's only a new way for hackers to get into people's computers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts