Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have downloaded 5 versions of SSF including the newest one. When I open any of them a very small window appears (roughly an inch by a half an inch wide) for about 2 seconds and then the program closes its self. I have read that the program is supposed to open in this small window and then expand its self. For some reason it is failing to do this in every version I try. I have tried updating DirectX, using compatibility mode, neither have worked.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
i got the same problem....
SSF just display small windows, and then dissapear...

install newest DX, driver, C++, dotnet, dll, just doesnt work at all

please help...

·
Registered
168 Posts
You probably have your CD Drive locked up by some app, or it is used by something that prevents SSF from locking it. (ex. you are burning a cd)

Try closing all your background apps one by one until SSF gets running.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Again thank you for the reply. I do not think my CD drive is locked up by anything as it works fine for other emulators such as ePSXe and Pcsx2. I have no CD burning software running. I cannot find anything running in the background that uses the CD drive. Anything I am missing? :eyemove:

·
Registered
66 Posts
What processor is in your computer? Does it support SSE2 instructions?

Older versions didn't require SSE2 (I forget at which point the switch was made). If you're not sure try downloading a real old version, like, 0.07 Alpha. See if that will load.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hadn't received a reply in so long I had stopped checking this thread. I just now went back to trying to find a Sega Saturn emulator that worked. Anyway, I have a Core 2 Quad Q6600 which is listed as supporting SSE2. I tried a very early version of SSF for the hell of it and there was no change. Same problem as before. :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some more things I have tried that have done nothing. I tried running the program as admin, I have tried all compatibility modes one by one, I downloaded the three .dlls (wnaspi32.dll, msvcr70.dll, and msvcp70.dll) suggested here Sega Saturn Emulation (SSF and Cassini guide) - CoolROM.com Forums and placed them in system32 and SSF folders, I tried renaming the BIOS to "boot.rom" suggested here sshack, I have tried moving the folder to a different hard drive, I have tried adding the entire folder as an exception in my antivirus, I have tried turning my antivirus off completely. All of the above has failed to fix the problem.

No matter what I do when I open SSF it still opens in that small window and then closes its self. I cannot access any of the options in the program at all to try and mess with them. There is a config file, but I have no idea what to change or if that would even help solve the problem. If anyone knows how to solve this problem please let me know! :dead:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Used to happen to me as well, but in the times I had Win98SE. I don't really remember if I found a solution (SSF stopped to support Win98 a few years ago anyway).

Try to update/install DirectX, Java (?), your graphic/sound card drivers, Adobe Flash (?), IE (?), .NET, Visual C++,... The essentials for a Win based PC. Its not going to hurt you doing it ;)

·
..!!
97 Posts
What the barnacles ? SSF used to work PERFECT for me. Now the same same thing

Why would an emulator rely on Java or Flash or IE or .NET or VisualC++ to be installed ?

I ran DirectX installer and says I have latest.. SSF still bricked.. any ideas ?

·
Registered
146 Posts
If your on a 32 Bit Platform, then you can try setting the program to use one processor only, if you on a 64 Bit Platform, depending on what operating system your using, there is probably a mode you use for "windows xp compatibility". Microsoft tosses application verification in windows vista, if you don't turn this service off, certain programs won't start, forget what its called by name.

A virtual drive could cause the program to fail, or a bad installation of one, this is less likely, I got the emulator working easy enough with a few basic things, cough, years ago, I'm going to make a brief list of things you should install.

1. Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Setup
2. Visual basic 6 sp6 runtime files (shouldn't be necessay but if you can get it try it)
3. Dot Net 2.0, 3.5
4. Java 1.4 (downgrade if necessary by deleting registry entries for "java")
5. Aspi Layer Installer like "Force Aspi" to help drive related incompatibilities
6. DIRECT X SDK (FEBRUARY 2010)

Java and Aspi are probably not necessary, if your still having trouble if I had to guess, a system service or unlisted system service is causing the problem.

1. In the run box type regedit, now search for "svchost" you will eventually find a process list, spam could be loading from there, most spyware programs don't check there.

2. In the run box type "mmc", add a snapon called "services", and "stop and disable" any service associated with a program specifically.

3. If the service is running from a hidden location, you can try a program called "Silent Runners", when you find the program you can either delete it from the registry or use a program called "Killbox" to remove it on startup.

4. You have no other option but to reinstall windows - spyware or a virus can create a partition and run from it, this can prevent all the above methods from working an just about all the spyware and virus programs, if not all. The only thing the spyware or virus program would do in this case is block it when it tries to run in your memory, this is not a real solution you must reinstall, back up your files or whatever you can and try again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No problem, Glad I could help. It's done that to me before. It sucks to loose your settings but it's not to hard to get them working again. Good day to you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts