Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I downloaded SSF so I could play Dracula X: Nocturne in the Moonlight.
But every time I start up SSF.exe, I get the same error message:
XAudio2Create() error.
File : ./XAudio2.cpp
Line : 218
Function : XAudio2_Initialize

I have no idea what this means, and I can't play NitM without this emulator. Can anyone help me out here?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Another problem

I updated DirectX and the emulator is working now (thank you LensLarque).
Anyway, I followed the tutorial I found in loading roms, and I mounted the NitM .CUE in Daemontools. Then I set Daemontools as the CD drive for SSF.
But the rom isn't loading, and SSF just gives me a black screen.
What's the trouble now?

·
lazy shmupper
897 Posts
Well I don't know, there could be many reasons...
Try to give us more details about how you set up SSF and your cd image.

Maybe a bios issue (do you use the emulator without a bios or do you have one?)

Maybe a region issue (you have to select the region that matches your game's in the options.)

Maybe a CD image issue ? (is it BIN/CUE? ISO/WAV/CUE? ISO/MP3/CUE? the later one won't work.)

One more thing: in the latest SSF builds, the DirectDraw rendering mode no longer works, so you want to keep that option unchecked.

Ah, and last advice: the first time you launch SSF you might see the Saturn's 'first time set up' menus where you enter the date, language etc. There you might need to format the Saturn's 'internal ram memory' and 'external cartrige ram' memory (something like that) before even trying to start playing games.

Good luck. ^^

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I will look at all the possibilities you have raised:

I have the Japanese Saturn Bios (SEGA_101).
The game was Japan-only, so naturally, that is its region.
The rom is a BIN and a CUE.

I'll check the DirectDraw thing, though.

[UPDATE]

DirectDraw is off, so that isn't the problem.

I downloaded the emulator and rom, and installed the emulator, fiddled with the options to fit my computer (a hopelessly out-of-date machine from '01), and managed to get the Saturn's first-time setup menus to run, as well as the main menu.
As per reccomendation, I have mounted the CUE file for the rom (which is in the same folder and under the same filename as the BIN) in DaemonTools, and selected that as the loading drive for SSF.
But every time I try to load this rom in SSF, it either tells me that the tray is empty or gives me a black screen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I noticed there was a thread that listed known compatability issues with Saturn emulators, but have it spread over a couple of dozen pages isn't very user friendly. Could we perhaps have a format similar to this: SSF Tribute - Compatibility List
It's neatly organized, or maybe we can get rid of that convoluted thread and condense the info with a link for members to contribute findings to that source & put the older info from that thread there.

Any how, just got SSF 11 alpha 5 & Daemon Tools Lite 4.35.6. Are these the latest & most compatible Saturn emulator tools? I can't find the DirectDraw thing, & none of the cue files I've tried are mounting.. can someone help me pls? I was able to figure out Mame32 by myself a few days ago, but a Saturn emulator is proving to be much more tricky. All I want to do is play Final Fight Revenge, can someone suggest a good Emulator for that game? or perhaps an arcade Rom that could play on mame32 would be equally appreciated, thnx!! :thumb:

·
Registered
168 Posts
There are gigantic compatibility lists at Saturn SSF emulator compatibility. Satakore.com database and SSF Tribute Neo.

To set up SSF, all you need is the emulator, and a cd image mounted on a virtual drive (ex. daemon tools). Point the emulator to the virtual drive, and thats it. You don't need a bios file, you don't have to edit regions and so on. Note that you'll have to restart SSF if you get a dialog box after updating your settings.

If you DO use a bios file, remember that you'll need to set up the region in the emulator. It doesn't matter which bios file you use, region lockout is handled by the emulator, not the bios files. Jap bios works fine for USA games for example.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thnx 4 da reply! :) kept fiddling with it until I figured it out & got it to play Final Fight Revenge & Bust A Move 2! ;) Is there an improvement if I use the ST-V Bios? I kinda realized after a while that the region didn't make any difference. The resolution is horrid, considering SSF v0.11 Alpha R5'' for Windows was released 9/11/2010! The sound quality is good tho! :lol:

·
Registered
168 Posts
STV bios is only needed if you are running STV arcade games.

The resolution is the exact same resolution the Saturn is running at, don't expect a 1994 console to output 1080p video. And no, you can't improve resolution like on Playstation emulators, the Saturn does not do 3d in a way for that to be possible. Not without major problems anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts