Next Generation Emulation banner

SquareEnix(1 word?) just keep milking the same bleeding game

6K views 103 replies 34 participants last post by  Exodus 
#1 ·
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/07/news_6110005.html

This time it's another FF3 remake.

I thought Anthology was the end of the older FF games being brought up on later systems?
It was a rushed job and I prefered to play the original SNES ones with the fan translations which meant no censorship and a lot of language fixes.

Personally I wander how long do SquareEnix believe they can milk the same old goat.

Can't they come up with *new* ideas?

#52 ·
dpence said:
errrr, Graphics do not a good game make. Some of the worst games I've ever played have had great graphics, likewise some of the best games have the worst. Personally, I wish they'd spend more time on gameplay and story rather than trying to "Pretty" up the games. Which is one reason FF and Sqaure are so popular. They have good story and depth. Something virtually every other game lacks. A game is nothing, and gets tiresome very quickly without a good story and depth to keep the player interested. Just like a good movie or a good book.
Well, I guess everyone has his own preference, still, I prefer games with good graphics along with the others. If graphics aren't all that important then is there really a point of them releasing new consoles?

#53 ·
>>>Men's Final Fantasy: Dead or Alive vs Tekken Chicks vs SNK Chicks vs Capcom chicks vs Marvel chicks in Nude Jello Fighting Gold EX 2 Super bounce edition.

What about the Soul Calibur chicks, DOA vs SC will be better IMO :D

>>>Well, I guess everyone has his own preference, still, I prefer games with good graphics along with the others. If graphics aren't all that important then is there really a point of them releasing new consoles?

Better sound, better control. I think most of prefer a PSX controller over a NES one :p
Also new technologie such as online gaming.

I agree with you that Graphics are important, but the point is, even a game without good graphics can be good. You have to judge every game by itself and it's own qualities, and you shouldn't compare it to games nowadays in graphics. What's really important to me with old games is that the graphics don't damage gameplay too much, and the music isn't annoying, and the gameplay and/or story has to be interesting, which is the case with FF3.

#55 ·
There won't be many, and certainly not as many as who are opposed to remaking the SNES games or even the PSX ones.

And IMO this is one part of the series forgotten by most. And it is a rather good game, so I'm actually rather curious about what they can create out of it :)

#56 ·
as long as the graphics are equivalent to the load times. the load times in chronicles and anthology were horrible (can't remember if origins had as great a problem with load times)

#57 ·
Kellicros said:
I don't understand why everyone is so upset of this, I have never played this FF3, and I am not going to play the NES version either, I can no longer stand 8bit/16bit graphics. I am so glad that they are going to rerelease it on a current console, which is really a good news for me.
I'm not upset, I just can't tolerate the overhyping over a company whose most notorious prowess (nowadays) is the continuous rehashing of video games. You (as well as anyone outside of Jp) didn't play it? It's good news for you, but that doesn't mean that the game is new.

Under that concept Lucasarts might as well remake all their graphical adventures (with the exception of MI:IV) and release it on all the consoles since most console gamers never bothered to play them... does that mean the remakes will be brand new games? No.

What most posters are failing to see in here, is that we are as free to bash Square-enix as we are to praise FFXX: starring an androgynous male and a chick in mini skirt.

#59 ·
looks like third time was a charm with the remakes. origins was probably the most useful of the remakes, for the simple reason that it wasn't NES anymore.

#60 ·
Well I think that making always new FF's will eventually lead to losing it's edge...
I mean why make new ones when you have great older in the store... Many people would probaply like the old FF's but they just hate those 16-bit graphiqs(Ididots!). So making better versions of older they give those games to the new generation...

G
#61 ·
hmm....
I think it depends where you draw the line..
e.g., in a way sequels are also remakes...
however, in this case, the entire game is about the same, save the technological updates.
But yeah...when you have to choose between remakes or bad games with sexy ch1x0rz ;p, I'd choose ...neither.
I mean, in that case, just play DOA beach volleyball :p

#62 ·
In fact DOA:XBV was innovative, it was the first Beach Volleyball game featuring almost realistic gameplay blended with some interesting elements, which albeit leecherous were still new, such as finding a partner to play 2 vs 2 games amongst other stuff... plus the game had an excuse for the extreme sex appeal...

#66 ·
Radix865 said:
Many people would probaply like the old FF's but they just hate those 16-bit graphiqs(Ididots!). So making better versions of older they give those games to the new generation...
wanting better graphics is hardly idiotic. whats really idiotic is believing and old game is good just because its old.

#67 ·
wanting better graphics is hardly idiotic. whats really idiotic is believing and old game is good just because its old.
I completely agree with this. For one, why is improving graphics becoming heresy in the industry? I'd love to see my old games with a shiny new coat of paint. Also, many of us have not played the NES versions of Final Fantasy and frankly I don't enjoy archaic graphics of the aging system. I would love to see some of the old games actually remade (FF: Origins :rolleyes: ) on more than one system (gotta be optimistic).

Furthermore, liking old games for the sake of them being "old school" is just inane. On the other hand, admiring older games from back in the day for what they are is truly what you should strive for. I enjoyed (and still do) Final Fantasy VI (the US III) for its awesome gameplay (I truly think it is one of the better games I've played) and exceptional storyline (oh, and Kefka too, he's so evil, evil, evil).

#68 ·
First of all, FF:Origins has been ported to the GBA.

After reading the first 2 pages of this thread I'd have to say you people suck (bar the long-time posters, you guys listened to reason). How is making NEW rpgs under the same name NOT creative. Are you guys suggesting that if they changed the name to something else but kept the same game that it would be creative? Seriously, that is the most stupid argument I've ever heard. Its not like Square is solely focussing on these 10-people-team remakes.

You people make me sick.

(again I'd like to thank the 1000+ posters that agree)

G
#69 ·
Exodus said:
actually some game(s)(genres) really improved over the years and those newer titles beat the classics in every way, except for being a classic.

Not saying that there aren't any awesome old games; there are lots; in fact, many of them seem to appeal more to me than newer 3D games, because they just play better (3D doesn't quite work on everything).

#70 ·
I don't think including new graphics/sounds necessarily improves or detractsfrom a game. The main thing to think about is whether the gameplay is good to begin with rather than the graphics/sounds.
You can make any game look and sound good, but if it's gameplay sucks, the game will as well...
Look at the "3D joke" versions of Castlevania? Konami 'tried' *I think* to "Modernise" the game and screwed up.
Some games are just fun "as is" and changing their graphics isn't going to make the game better. I play a bunch of MAME games because I'm happy with them "as is" and don't need them to be screwed with...Although "sequels" might be nice...
Not long ago I bought "Black and Bruised" thinking it was an "updated" Punch Out, but I found the game to be too complicated and traded it for Super Monkey Ball 2 *at a profit no less!* and I was happy with my trade... I dunno about anyone else, but I enjoy games that are easy to start, addictive, but don't require too much time per session *have save points*... Nothings wrong with "improving" a game but sometimes people complicate games that were simple, fun, and addictive...
But that's my $0.50 ;)

#71 ·
Samor said:
Not saying that there aren't any awesome old games; there are lots; in fact, many of them seem to appeal more to me than newer 3D games, because they just play better (3D doesn't quite work on everything).
true, i have come across games that i felt would have been better 2D, but those feelings usually arise when the game was badly done to start with. bad camera angles plague games like tomb raider. but in general, the transition to 3D is well recieved, and when it comes to RPGs, shooters, RTS, there really is no reason to be playing in 2D.

#73 ·
Samor said:
same with racers...actually, racers only became good when everything went 3D ;)
I :wub: 3D racing games, but I still like to play Motorace USA, Turbo, and Rally X. :thumb:

#76 ·
Samor said:
well, I still play F1 Spirit (MSX) and Micro Machines 2 occasionally :)
Hehe, I still like Lamborghini for the Gameboy, and Rad Racer for NES (made by Squaresoft :p ) But Micro Machines was fun as well! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.