Next Generation Emulation banner
61 - 80 of 104 Posts
hmm....
I think it depends where you draw the line..
e.g., in a way sequels are also remakes...
however, in this case, the entire game is about the same, save the technological updates.
But yeah...when you have to choose between remakes or bad games with sexy ch1x0rz ;p, I'd choose ...neither.
I mean, in that case, just play DOA beach volleyball :p

In fact DOA:XBV was innovative, it was the first Beach Volleyball game featuring almost realistic gameplay blended with some interesting elements, which albeit leecherous were still new, such as finding a partner to play 2 vs 2 games amongst other stuff... plus the game had an excuse for the extreme sex appeal...

:rotflmao:

Thats true. :D I hope that parents would accept that excuse... :D

Radix865 said:
Many people would probaply like the old FF's but they just hate those 16-bit graphiqs(Ididots!). So making better versions of older they give those games to the new generation...
wanting better graphics is hardly idiotic. whats really idiotic is believing and old game is good just because its old.

wanting better graphics is hardly idiotic. whats really idiotic is believing and old game is good just because its old.
I completely agree with this. For one, why is improving graphics becoming heresy in the industry? I'd love to see my old games with a shiny new coat of paint. Also, many of us have not played the NES versions of Final Fantasy and frankly I don't enjoy archaic graphics of the aging system. I would love to see some of the old games actually remade (FF: Origins :rolleyes: ) on more than one system (gotta be optimistic).

Furthermore, liking old games for the sake of them being "old school" is just inane. On the other hand, admiring older games from back in the day for what they are is truly what you should strive for. I enjoyed (and still do) Final Fantasy VI (the US III) for its awesome gameplay (I truly think it is one of the better games I've played) and exceptional storyline (oh, and Kefka too, he's so evil, evil, evil).

First of all, FF:Origins has been ported to the GBA.

After reading the first 2 pages of this thread I'd have to say you people suck (bar the long-time posters, you guys listened to reason). How is making NEW rpgs under the same name NOT creative. Are you guys suggesting that if they changed the name to something else but kept the same game that it would be creative? Seriously, that is the most stupid argument I've ever heard. Its not like Square is solely focussing on these 10-people-team remakes.

You people make me sick.

(again I'd like to thank the 1000+ posters that agree)

Exodus said:
actually some game(s)(genres) really improved over the years and those newer titles beat the classics in every way, except for being a classic.

Not saying that there aren't any awesome old games; there are lots; in fact, many of them seem to appeal more to me than newer 3D games, because they just play better (3D doesn't quite work on everything).

I don't think including new graphics/sounds necessarily improves or detractsfrom a game. The main thing to think about is whether the gameplay is good to begin with rather than the graphics/sounds.
You can make any game look and sound good, but if it's gameplay sucks, the game will as well...
Look at the "3D joke" versions of Castlevania? Konami 'tried' *I think* to "Modernise" the game and screwed up.
Some games are just fun "as is" and changing their graphics isn't going to make the game better. I play a bunch of MAME games because I'm happy with them "as is" and don't need them to be screwed with...Although "sequels" might be nice...
Not long ago I bought "Black and Bruised" thinking it was an "updated" Punch Out, but I found the game to be too complicated and traded it for Super Monkey Ball 2 *at a profit no less!* and I was happy with my trade... I dunno about anyone else, but I enjoy games that are easy to start, addictive, but don't require too much time per session *have save points*... Nothings wrong with "improving" a game but sometimes people complicate games that were simple, fun, and addictive...
But that's my $0.50 ;)

Samor said:
Not saying that there aren't any awesome old games; there are lots; in fact, many of them seem to appeal more to me than newer 3D games, because they just play better (3D doesn't quite work on everything).
true, i have come across games that i felt would have been better 2D, but those feelings usually arise when the game was badly done to start with. bad camera angles plague games like tomb raider. but in general, the transition to 3D is well recieved, and when it comes to RPGs, shooters, RTS, there really is no reason to be playing in 2D.

Samor said:
same with racers...actually, racers only became good when everything went 3D ;)
I :wub: 3D racing games, but I still like to play Motorace USA, Turbo, and Rally X. :thumb:

Samor said:
well, I still play F1 Spirit (MSX) and Micro Machines 2 occasionally :)
Hehe, I still like Lamborghini for the Gameboy, and Rad Racer for NES (made by Squaresoft :p ) But Micro Machines was fun as well! :D

"Starting with the outstanding Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, the recent crop of RPGs are not only breaking from the usual Final Fantasy formula but are showing far more imagination and creativity."

l3illyl3ob said:
racers were only good in the 2D ages. All the 3d race sims pretty much suck, and the new focus on those makes the more arcadish race games suck too.
I disagree. Those games had, compared to nowadays' games, like no handling at all.
Actually when people nowadays talk about arcade racers, they mean dumbed down physics... bah. arcade racers should have exaggerated ones.
I like race sims. It's just a whole different style of playing, and may come across as 'boring' to some, just similar to how I can't get into realistic flight simulators.
I don't really see a focus on race sims... dumbed down ones, perhaps, like colin mccrap. ;) ..the real focus is on the silly street racing culture, which is really 'bleh'. I mean, NFSU is for me interesting mainly because of the gameplay; I don't care at all about the 'cool attitude', in fact I dislike it.

racers made a very nice transition from 2D to 3D. and the sim aspect of them has far more depth than just arcade racing. in one mode you have increasing your time, and in the other, you have increasing your time AND making your car better.

and i hated the "cool attitude" in NFSU. damn you EA.

The Demise of racing games today is the "illegal street racing" theme going on in all the new ones. NFSU was a nice one, but now they just keep making damn illegal street racers :/

61 - 80 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.