Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found this, it touches a point that was already being discussed on other thread...

27/04/2009

Square Enix president and CEO, Yoichi Wada, has told GamesIndustry.biz that he believes his company takes too long to produce new games, and that cost performance and quality are not mutually exclusive facets in game production.

Speaking at one of the first interviews given since the acquisition of Eidos last week, Wada-san was answering a question on the practice of releasing games before they were truly finished in order to meet financial deadlines - and if gamers buying Eidos titles from now on could have more confidence in the brand.

"Yes - that's what I hope to achieve for the entire group," said Wada-san. "But we at Square Enix also have a problem - it takes too long for us to produce a game...

"In reality I think the issues we have are basically the same. On one side you might say that because of the budgetary constraints they released the games without having the games polished to perfection, but on the other side we take too long to release the game.

"So we have the same issue in the management and control of the process isn't strict enough. Even though we're producing entertainment products we need to have the right production process in place - and that is something that I'd like to implement across the entire business in our group.

He went on to hint at possible conflict with those working on the games over those production processes, nothing that the group would be trying to "change the mindset of the creators".

"I personally believe that having a good cost performance and having a good quality game can co-exist - I think that this relationship is actually a positive one. But when you look to the creators they tend to think that if they're asked to pursue a better cost performance, they have to sacrifice quality.

"It's not true, but we have to change the mindset of the creators."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/square-enix-we-take-too-long-to-make-games

Take your own conclusions....

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Meh.

If FFXIII is as good as it sounds (and it definitely looks it too) then it was worth the wait. All the games in between FFXII and FFXIII weren't so bad to pass the time. Some seemed kinda rushed though, and half assed. A lot of them would've been much better if they spent more time on it.

For me, it's always quality over quantity. I can wait it out. It's not like there's nothing else for me to do anyways :lol:

·
Oilslime
77 Posts
All I want is Materia, Espers, Gunblades, and a Job system in ONE GAME. I enjoy knowing that Dragon Quest CXXI will have Fight, Cast, Parry, and Flee as battle commands and that one of the first enemies I will fight will be a slime. Final Fantasy XIII would be better titled "RPG Battle and Leveling system experiment featuring a character named Cid or Sid XIII" or maybe "Unrelated plot lines and completly unfamiliar battle/level system XIII"

Every game I can imagine a dev saying "Alright, we found something really good that the players really seem to be enjoying. It's time to scrap it all and try something new now." Maybe if they didn't start from zero on each title they could produce games a little quicker, with better plot, and slightly less feminine male leads.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Release it when its ready
not when Time says to.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
For me, it's always quality over quantity. I can wait it out. It's not like there's nothing else for me to do anyways :lol:
The article isn't talking about making the fans wait while they polish a game... It's about spending too much time on a game, making costs increase.

It's a sad day when devs have to rush out games to meet deadlines. I would imagine that Square has enough games in the works, and enough revenue streams that they won't have to release half-ass games. Being their own publisher usually has that advantage.

Now that I think about it, in a sense, it's theoretically beneficial to the gaming industry to have large publishing companies like EA since they wouldn't normally have to set such strict deadlines, as they have many games in the works and being released. Still, I suppose as cost control measures, deadlines always have to exist. It's a good idea in theory, anyways.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
It's a sad day when devs have to rush out games to meet deadlines. I would imagine that Square has enough games in the works, and enough revenue streams that they won't have to release half-ass games. Being their own publisher usually has that advantage.
As long as people keep buying emulated Snes games, they'll have their stream of revenue. I guess that in this light it's not that bad after all, since in the end all these ports and re-releases make it financially possible for them to release a monster game like FF13.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
As long as people keep buying emulated Snes games, they'll have their stream of revenue. I guess that in this light it's not that bad after all, since in the end all these ports and re-releases make it financially possible for them to release a monster game like FF13.
Exactly. All those port/remakes bashers have to remember that those are the games that help fund the new ones!

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
It's not that they took that long IMO. Some PC games took even longer and dare I say... quality wasn't as good as FFXIII (though, FFXIII is not the most technologically advanced game ever).

If anything, it's just that the economic crisis is making developers aware of the fact that before long, people won't be able to afford their games anymore. We used to wait many years before we saw a good game (if it has a brand new engine), then it's just a year or two for games based on the engine.

At the rate things are going, chances are that S-E bit off more than it could chew when it accepted to port FFXIII (not FFvXIII) to the XBox360. And now that it did, it has to research the engine all over again.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
Well, it's hard to say what they're saying is "too long". For all we know, "too long" to them is just spending too much due to time. Maybe they want higher profit margins.

If it has anything to do with the economy, the only thing they can do is spend less time on a game (meaning potentially worse) or outsource to some cheap programmers in India or Korea to definitely produce crap.

SE should already be relatively familiar with both consoles.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Well, not too familiar with PS3 in my opinions, this would be about the first time they've ever programmed anything from scratch for the PS3.

I would have personally preferred them going either for PS3 or 360 altogether. 360 more, probably... because they've been more familiar with that. Plus fans don't have to shuffle between Star Ocean 4 and FFXIII on different consoles.

·
Banned
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The article isn't talking about making the fans wait while they polish a game... It's about spending too much time on a game, making costs increase.

Now that I think about it, in a sense, it's theoretically beneficial to the gaming industry to have large publishing companies like EA since they wouldn't normally have to set such strict deadlines, as they have many games in the works and being released. Still, I suppose as cost control measures, deadlines always have to exist. It's a good idea in theory, anyways.
This is the only intelligent and ontopic comment I saw in this thread....... You're shining today Exodus..

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
I don't think Star Ocean has much of a chance, but I know what you're saying.
Yeah, you're right. I don't think Star Ocean has much of a chance either... Either way I'm only buying FFvXIII. :) FFXIII doesn't interest me... and if anything, I'd just get it for my 360 to see how they're doing. It'll probably be worth a rental and that's that.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
FFXIII doesn't interest me... and if anything, I'd just get it for my 360 to see how they're doing. It'll probably be worth a rental and that's that.
Get it when it's cheap, at least! It'll still be a good quality product!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.