Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having some annoying malware problems at this moment because of a page popping up with the name 'ErrorSafe' in it. They claim to do a scan and everything. Now I know I should not click those links, but when I hit the X in the upper right corner it linked me further anyway oO

Hereby a warning for all you guys getting the same message, because this POS seems to be one of the most annoying infections lately. The company who designed this stuff actually made it to make us sell their antispyware program. I felt like sending them an email saying they should be hung by the balls :cuss2:

If anyone has got any suggestions on removing it it will be more than welcome. Spy Sweeper didn't pick it up, neither did Ewido. I could use HiJackthis but that seems to be more like a last resort to me.

·
War Games coder
1,927 Posts
A suggestion for getting rid of further popups: Never click on the x on the top right. The window can be designed to have no title bar, then designed to look like it does have one that looks just like the windows default title bar. Clicking that 'x' will do whatever they want it to do.

Instead, make sure the popup is selected (alt-tab), then hit alt-f4. Otherwise, just don't get popups to begin with and avoid the problem entirely.

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice :)

I usually don't get popups at all ever since I switched to Firefox so this really alerted me. Unfortunately there is no way on how to backtrack where I got this program from :(

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
WTF oO

I got the message again, used alt-tab to focus on it and ALT-F4 to close it, but instead it acted if I clicked it. This really pisses me off :cuss2:
I'll add screenshots later.

·
War Games coder
1,927 Posts
Hmm... out of curiosity, does this pop up when you're not surfing the web as well? I seem to remember when I was foolish, I plugged my cable modem (just happens with cable modems, not DSL) directly into my desktop and was not running a firewall. A few minutes later, I hadn't even fired up my browser yet on a fresh install of windows... I was getting what looked like popups. This was a couple of years ago.

Turns out that there's stuff out there that ties into a Windows service over the internet - those aren't popups, they're messenger boxes. People on my local neighborhood were either infected and spreading the infection or were being malicious. This can be blocked with a firewall if that's what it is.

·
European Citizen xD
353 Posts
You should use Ad Aware Professional.It's one of the best for adware/spyware/popups .It includes an utility called Ad Watch that monitors everything suspect and stops it instantly from poping up or getting in your PC.

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KillerShots said:
Hmm... out of curiosity, does this pop up when you're not surfing the web as well? I seem to remember when I was foolish, I plugged my cable modem (just happens with cable modems, not DSL) directly into my desktop and was not running a firewall. A few minutes later, I hadn't even fired up my browser yet on a fresh install of windows... I was getting what looked like popups. This was a couple of years ago.

Turns out that there's stuff out there that ties into a Windows service over the internet - those aren't popups, they're messenger boxes. People on my local neighborhood were either infected and spreading the infection or were being malicious. This can be blocked with a firewall if that's what it is.
Difficult question, because I am either surfing online, or playing a game. And when gaming I never had such a popup. I also don't have a clue what could trigger the message. Our dsl modem has got a hardware firewall btw. (a speedtouch modem)

@ Flowrent: I will use Ad Aware to do a checkup, however I don't feel like having two spyware scanners/protections running on the background. Thanks for the advice though :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.