Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm seeing a lot of threads about the Spyro games crashing. This can be caused by the libcrypt copy protection featured on the discs.
Info on Libcrypt said:
Since the end of 1998 Sony introduced the first protected PlayStation games in Japan (PoPoRogue). They added extra code, called LibCrypt, could detect if a Mod-Chip was being used. When it detected it then game could not be played.

About 6 months later the LibCrypt protection was also used on European PAL games (Medievil) and now also US games are being protected.

The LibCrypt protection uses a Digital ID (16 bit key), which is stored in the SubChannel of a CD-ROM.

In order to solve the problem you need to rip the subchannel data from the disc onto your hard drive. To do this all you need is P.E.Op.S. CD-R Driver 1.4 from here. Place that file in your ePSXe 'plugins' directory and then select it as your default plugin for CD-Rom. After that follow these instructions:
Please note: Your CD/DVD drive MUST be capable of reading CD subchannels for this process to work. 90% of modern computers (2004+) SHOULD be ok. If you're not sure google your CD/DVD drive to check the specs/reviews :)

1) Click 'Config' then 'CDRom'

2) Click 'configure'

3) Near the bottom of the new window, select 'use subchannel SBI/MS3 info file (recommended)' and then click 'Create SBI/MS3 file (Only with supported drives)

4) Select 'Read subchannel from CD-Rom' and then select .SBI file. Then
create click 'Create subchannel info file'.
Please note: Your computer may appear to lock-up or become unresponsive during this stage. Don't worry, leave it 20minutes or so, if it's still unresponsive you may have to force a shutdown (holding down the power button)

5) Once it's created save the file to the location of your .ISO or another convenient place

6) When you're about to play the game associated with the subchannel info you need to configure the plugin again. In the field where it says 'File' click the three dots, locate the subchannel file and click 'Ok'.

7) Enjoy Spyro! :D

To my knowledge the fix effects:
- Spyro 3 (PAL/NTSC): Year Of The Dragon
- Spyro 2 (PAL/NTSC): Gateway To Glimmer/Ripto's Rage
- Spyro The Dragon (NTSC)

·
PCSX2 Coder
11,343 Posts
can you please not link to sites that contain game cracks please.

if you cannot find a site without legally comprimising things, then download the file and attach it here in the forums.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
refraction said:
can you please not link to sites that contain game cracks please.

if you cannot find a site without legally comprimising things, then download the file and attach it here in the forums.
Sorry, didn't realise it had cracks on. I've removed the link and just posted the quote I wanted from there :).

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm wondering:
- Spyro 1 (both), 2 and 3 NTSC don't need subchannels to work
- Spyro 2 and 3 PAL do
Plus, anytime i tried solution described above, it didn't work. The solution is make image trhough CloneCD with SC and then use Mooby CD plugin with SC reading enabled. But then strange think appears: the music isn't playing correctly. It is only a loops with different lenght each time it repeats. It finished very rarely.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i got the rom from zophers but you cant get to the next world. this bs message pops up saying it's an illegal version when you 1st enter the area probably cos of that paradox bs at the beginning. when you try to get on the balloon it just keeps saying to go rescue more people from the worlds. after you've done all the kangarros stages she dissapears and moneybags comes back and keeps asking for the gems to release her but I already did that!making it impossible to use the balloon! i really want to play this game but can't

does any1 else have this problem on ePSXe 1.7.0??

or does any1 know where to get the normal UNCRACKED version (no paradox)?

·
God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
make an image in a format that contains the subchannel data like .ccd/.img/.sub, mdf/mds, or .bin/.cue. you could then either mount the image onto a virtual drive and configure whatever cdrom plugin you are using to look towards that particular drive or you could just load it by doing file>run iso in the GUI.

if you want to play from the disc instead of an image (i dont recommend this since the performance is not as good) you would just need to enable subchannel reading in the cdrom plugin.

·
God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
as long as you make it in one of the fomats i mentioned above you should be fine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
still won't work... i made a bin image and the game crashes in one of the places people say it would crash cuz of the subchannel.
i tried playing it from the cd with the subchannel read on and it doesn't work either. the screen just turns black when i click "play cd-rom" and that's it...

·
God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
enable logs in the GUI and then tell me what it says in the output window. is your version NTSC or PAL?

·
Registered
60 Posts
when i play with the image file and enter the level after which everything goes black the last things the log says are

* Doing spu init...
* Spu open...

exact same thing happenned when reading from cdrom. it's the PAL version and the logs say they DON'T read any subchannels

there's another problem level that just crashes and the log closes by itself - sheila's alp

·
God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
what cdrom plugin are you using now and how is it configured, can you post a screenshot? and what format did you make your image in?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.