Next Generation Emulation banner

Spy-ware promblem

859 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Cid Highwind 
#1 ·
Okay when I start up IE or go to a different page in IE I get a pop up(these are webpages that don't give pop-ups). I've tried ad-aware and spybot S&D and that found files but didn't solve anything. So then I tried free AVG and it found viruses but didn't stop the promblem. Does anyone know a solution other than a new browser or a pop-up blocker. Because my family is unwilling to change to a different browser and I don't like having programs running in the background. I just want a virus scanner or adware remover to pick this up for free.

#2 ·
A popup blocker or a different browser is likely to do squat to help you. Most of that crap use their own code to generate the popups.

Whilst I hate suggesting such drastic action, but if the comp is as badly riddled with spyware/virii as it sounds you most likely best just to format the whole thing and start from scratch. (Oh and apply the patches/firewall/av scanners too. The drop of 2 fps in counterstrike is acceptible if it means that it prevents the 10fps drop having that rubbish running could cause ;) )

#3 ·
id have to agree with beta, if spybot and adaware dont remove all the spyware, and if youve got some unremovable viruses, then its better to just format and reinstall

i dont have any real problems with spyware anymore though, spybot and adaware take care of all the garbage for me and bitdefender takes care of viruses... firefox blocks popups from pages that i go to, and it adds some firewall protection... and then ofcourse, you should always virus scan all the files you download before opening/executing them... never know when somethings bugged

#7 ·
Player-X said:
DON'T reformat just download Spybot SnD from http://security.kolla.de/ and run it
Erm he said he already tried that :D

フェニックス said:
mhh you could run hijackthis, check the log for any abnormality and then you might get rid of the problem.
Normally I'd agree. That might work, but it looks like in this case it's a compounded problem. Miss 1 entry and the whole lot will come back.

#9 ·
Yeah you MUST dl spy sweeper, look for the site at google. It's way better than Spybot and AdAware IMHO. It found way more and way more threatening things than those two combinated: the LITHIUM thingie. I had the same problem and it helped me a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.