Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
11,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spider-Man: Web of Shadows

A new look

Spider-Man is one of the few comic heroes who has received fairly solid transfer into the video game realm, with Treyarchs efforts with Spider-Man 1 and 2 focusing on the best aspects of our webbed hero, swinging through New York at a cracking speed and beating up baddies with a good fighting engine. Even the poor camera couldn’t hold it back, but when Spider-Man 3 was released something went completely wrong, as the whole experience was marred with plenty of design flaws that along with movie, rendered the game rather painful in most aspects. Well Treyarch are back along with Shaba games to tell us a fresh, original story, free of any film responsibilities, and he’s brought some friends along.

Spidey starts out on a rooftop amongst a raging battle between heroes and ordinary people, possessed by the same Symbioite that gave birth to Venom, with Spidey’s head hung low and slowly walking through the carnage, sympathetic piano music in the background, he picks up speed before jumping over the edge into the foray of a city that is under siege by the Symbioite menace. After the tutorial the story as to why people are possessed by the alien symbioite is told through Parker's recollection of the past few days and entails all the events that lead up to the epic battle in progress, his inner struggle with being in possession of the black Spider-Man suit and to why Mary Jane is mad at him.

"HEY! Are those nipples PG rated?"

Decisions, decisions…

It is this struggle with Peters decision whether or not to keep the Black Suit is the underlying context of this story and the main driving force as to how he goes about his business. With a click of the left thumbstick he can change from the traditional red and blue suit to the darker black suit, with each starring their own strengths and weaknesses. Red suit is generally faster, has light but rapid fire attacks and generates positive repercussions for Pete. On the other hand the black suit feels heavy, scares off civilians but enables higher levels of strength and power as combos are heavier hitting and deliver greater amounts of danger, and with the ability to lift and throw cars quite dangerous. Over use of this suit can gain negative points for Pete which directly affects his integration with other superheroes of the city and affects his alignment with either the red or black suit. The powers of each suit can be increased using an experience system from defeating baddies, with these XP points being spent on new combos, finishers, linking attacks, aerial combos and so on. Collecting spider tokens around the city will also level up our hero, unlocking further attacking options for both red and blue suits.

Yes, Spider-Man isn’t the only superhero to star in his latest outing, as other super heroes and villains either require the help of Spidey to complete tasks around the city or need to be smacked around until they come to their senses. With appearances from Lucas Cage, Black Cat, Wolverine, Vulture, Rhino and a wealth of others there is no shortage of stars making their presence felt. These characters give our hero leads on villains to progress the story and will come to help with combat, but only if Pete’s alignment is with good intentions. At times throughout the story there will be instances where Spider-Man will have to make decisions based on what Red or Black suit he chooses to wear. Case in point, when confronting Black Cat Spidey can either choose the red suit, do the heroic thing and choose to ignore her sexual advances, or he can indulge in the black suit and get into all kinds of mischief. Depending where his alignment is, and what we choose to do as players other villains and heroes will either help us or try to stop us.

None were impressed with the new nipple inspector

Swingin’ in the midst

As is usual with Spidey, travel throughout the NY is done using his web shot, either to swing from building to building or to hit a target and zip line to that location. What separates this mode of transport from previous encounters is that there is no chance to latch onto and swing through the sky where there is no buildings or enemies. Where there is no building to latch onto, Spidey will fall gracefully like a bullet to the ground. If there are enemies in the sky however, then he can easily zip line from one enemy to another using an all new targeting function and attack style. By pressing Y he will shoot out his web, locking onto an enemy and with perfect timing either demolish the bad guy on the spot, or bounce off his head and chain the attack onto other baddies. This can be done indefinitely as long as there are enemies in the vicinity and in a few missions it is a pre-requisite to achieve success.

The new lock on system is utterly fantastic, but does nothing to help the camera. Past Spider-man games had woeful cameras at best, missing the action, and blocking the view of the enemy, but the new camera is undoubtedly worse than all the rest. For instance, swinging through the buildings, spotting a group of nasties on the side of the building and swooping in to fight them will either result in the camera struggling to show the position of our hero and where his foes are. It tries to get the best angles, but will focus on a wall, or point onto the sky or just completely vomit all over itself and show nothing but glitches. It isn’t always bad, but when trying to take down a mechanized menace and then focus on a civilian in a car explosion to save them it becomes an exercise in frustration, as you can’t lock on to the helpless person because the camera is busy giving you an ace close up of a lamp post, meanwhile the civilian dies and you end up looking like a chump.

Bug Spray

Optional side missions to increase XP are also somewhat of a bore as they entail saving a set number of civilians 3 times, then 7 times, then 10 times, or beating 50, then 100, then 150 enemies and with the random spawning nature of foes to crush completing these side missions, which will disappear when the story progresses no less, become somewhat of a time waster, boring and a bit frivolous in the end and before long you return to just swinging in the breeze looking for more tokens, ignoring the screams of the general public.

Having the ability to choose their own visual design in more traditional sense with the comics rather than the films, Web of Shadows sports some great character designs, but surprisingly some rather iffy ones too. Spidey, Venom, Cage, Black Cat and Vulture all look fantastic, whereas Wolverine looks a bit wrong and Mary Jane has a serious case of man shoulder-itis. New York city also looks to be rather dull as the developers seem to have borrowed the model from The Incredible Hulk, and we all know how generic that looked. I suppose having a bland backdrop will inspire the masses to focus on the heroes, but when you spend most of your time swinging around, everything tends to look the same, as major landmarks tend to go unnoticed.

*Om nom nom* "Gah! My nipples!"

The audio department is also nothing special, with voice actors on occasion sound rather ace, but in many cases are out of place, uncomfortable or just downright dodgy. Spider-man does sound good and familiar being typically wimpy sounding with a sense of false authority and the added poor one liners give him a certain charm, but funnily enough it is the banter that lies outside of the main story are where most of the giggles are to be had. Spidey teasing Wolverine about having a My Face page is a bit of a standout and delivers some much needed giggles. What is done well is the audio sense when you are high up in the buildings with nothing more than the wind to keep you company, which just further enhances the bliss that is just horsing around with Spideys web in amongst the sky scrapers.

In the end though, Web of Shadows is a bit of a mixed bag. On the plus side it has great combat, plays well to star more heroes and villains rather than generic enemies, and it looks fairly well. But the hateful camera, inconsistent voice acting and boring side missions that tend to pull this game down a bit, which is a crying shame as this has so much potential to be the best Spider-Man game to date.

Gameplay – 87
Visuals – 80
Audio – 80
Overall – 85

Great, fast paced action and a fine game, marred with some poor production and a hateful camera.

Game experienced on 360 with 40" Sony Bravia at 720p over component and 5.1 surround sound

· Curiously Cheddar
4,521 Posts
Brilliant review. I played it for an hour or so on my friend's PS3 and I agree with you 100% on just about every point. It really could've been so much more.

· Demon
1,205 Posts
My main complaints are that the "heroes" and "villains" that help you are useless, repetitive missions and nowhere near as good web swinging mechanics compared to Spider-Man 2, the story was poorly told and the voice acting was inconsistent (the worst va is the spiderman one).

But, you know, even with all of it's flaws, I enjoyed it. It's not the best Spidey game out there, but it has a fun combat system and the story was decent enough to keep me going on.

· Heroes Might& Magic Champ
9,320 Posts
Great review snicko. You should become a professional videogame magazine writer. Even your photo captions are grade A hilarious.

I recall the hulk games had somewhat similar gta like design. Seems marvel is taking a liking to these gta like designs.

11,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brilliant review. I played it for an hour or so on my friend's PS3 and I agree with you 100% on just about every point. It really could've been so much more.
Thanks man. I was really hoping that Web of Shadows would have been better overall, but there is just so much potential as it is.

My main complaints are that the "heroes" and "villains" that help you are useless, repetitive missions and nowhere near as good web swinging mechanics compared to Spider-Man 2, the story was poorly told and the voice acting was inconsistent (the worst va is the spiderman one).

But, you know, even with all of it's flaws, I enjoyed it. It's not the best Spidey game out there, but it has a fun combat system and the story was decent enough to keep me going on.
Indeed. Spider-Man 2 managed to achieve gaming nirvana, and will still be considered the definitive Spidey experience, but Web of Shadows does manage to remain fun and enjoyable.

Great review snicko. You should become a professional videogame magazine writer. Even your photo captions are grade A hilarious.

I recall the hulk games had somewhat similar gta like design. Seems marvel is taking a liking to these gta like designs.
Wow thanks man, that really means a great deal.

I think that Rockstars involvement with Spider-Man 2 and Hulk: Ultimate Destruction really paved the way to make comic games an open ended affair rather than a linear one, and I think that they are all the better for it. It does get tiring having to constantly return to NYC though.

11,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another pro review by snico. Great job =D

By the way, why is Altair in the first pic?
Great review Snicko.
Last spiderman I played was the one with venom, don't remember the number.
Thanks guys.
lol at Altair, I think that guys name in Moon Knight.

· Registered
10,973 Posts
Thanks guys.
lol at Altair, I think that guys name in Moon Knight.
Yeah, that's Moon Knight!

He's a pretty obscure character, I think he was also in Marvel Ultimate Alliance (Gold) for the 360, but I'm unsure...

:evil:

· Registered
3,106 Posts
good review, but may i ask what is you obsetion with spider mans nipples? :)

11,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dude, start a game review site. Like, now damn you!
Agree. You would do really good snicko. Seriously =)
I am doing work for a review site that emwearz is developing, progress has stalled however with him not having access to the internet. I guess when he is back online it will be pretty close to being launched.

good review, but may i ask what is you obsetion with spider mans nipples? :)
hehe, I honestly was struggling for some select captions and seeing as super hero nipples are something that is never discussed I thought that it is the right time to bring this issue to the forefront. I was going to have a picture of Black Cat in the review with her revealing costume, but I think there is enough talk of nipples to keep the readers aroused as it is.

Another awesome review. :thumb: BTW, there's also Wii version of this game, it's pretty same too :)
Thanks man, and you are right. There is also a PC version in tune with the 360 and PS3 versions, but there are also a PS2 and PSP versions out with a different story line.

· Mhm.
2,390 Posts
And from what i hear the ps2 version reeked. For some reason they went side scroller (as i was told from a disggruntled friend) like the psp version was. But the graphics were terrible and story was crud. My friend played every spiderman game, first time he was that dissapointed oO

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.