Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Extra Large Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gmail takes an eternity to load because of it's assanine, massive javascript. If you know how to change the useragent your browser sends, you can change this. Have it send any non-existant/unrecognizeable useragent (qwerty, fdsf, etc work great), this will make gmail use it's new "plain html" mode. This html mode is much faster than the normal mode, and also lets you do things like opening emails in new windows, and other things you can't do with gmail's normal mode.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
You what? gMail doesn't use JS to my knowledge.... what browser are you using? On my PC it loads up like a rocket, and I can use it at least as fast as Outlook on my PC.
Regardless: you can use gmail via POP anyway (settings > forwarding and POP)

·
Extra Large Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you use a browser gmail recognizes, it uses MASSIVE ammounts of javascript. The entire page is generated and controlled with javascript. View source on the frames and you will see how much javascript is used.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
...becasue they have a frame by the name of JS? I'm sure I'd notice if it was using java, as like with every other page that does, the little coffee mug would appear in my tray and my system would slow to a crawl as it does random ****e.
I'm usign firefox 1.03 and gmail, as I said, is ninja fast.

·
Back from the dead
3,741 Posts
I'm on 56k and gmail loads up instantly. In fact, the only other site that loads up as fast as gmail is ngemu. I'm using firefox btw. Sites load up 3x faster in Firefox than they do in IE.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
I have no complaints about speed either, especially since I was used to Hotmail to begin with.

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
Kane said:
...becasue they have a frame by the name of JS? I'm sure I'd notice if it was using java, as like with every other page that does, the little coffee mug would appear in my tray and my system would slow to a crawl as it does random ****e.
I'm usign firefox 1.03 and gmail, as I said, is ninja fast.
Java script is not the same as the coffee mug :p

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Seriously, any site which asks for JS ( I include when I tried it on my site using Frontpage *shudders*) brings up the cofee mug, just the same as it were a full Java app.

·
ゲート オーペン!
911 Posts
Kane said:
Seriously, any site which asks for JS ( I include when I tried it on my site using Frontpage *shudders*) brings up the cofee mug, just the same as it were a full Java app.
>_> that's incorrect since javascript and java are 2 different codes >_> the only way to see java in the internet is an applet so then it asks for coffee mug, besides java and javascripts are similar but not the same :p, btw idk what are u talking about the speed, the only reason should be the browser (I have tried with firefox 1.03 in 28kbps, and is still pretty fast)
I doubt the amount the javascript would slow down the loading speed but correct me if I'm wrong

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
I know how it _should_ be. But that's how it is on my PC. Bizzare as it sounds.

·
ゲート オーペン!
911 Posts
Kane said:
I know how it _should_ be. But that's how it is on my PC. Bizzare as it sounds.
wtf? sorry but your post makes no sense :???:
some1 explain me T_T

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
The JS/JA difference. I know how it should be, but JS loads up Java for me too.

·
ゲート オーペン!
911 Posts
Kane said:
The JS/JA difference. I know how it should be, but JS loads up Java for me too.
oh ok, hmm that makes no sense what;s wrong with your pc lol :evil:

·
Extra Large Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gmail sits on the 2 "loading..." screens (first the black text on white in the upper left corner, then the white text on red in the upper right corner) after logging in for an eternity before it finally loads all it's javascript crap.

Kane- I'm not talking about any frame with "js" in the name, I'm talking about VIEWING THE SOURCE (HTML (or in this case, javascript)) OF THE FRAME. If you view the source of either the main frame, or the hidden one at the bottom of the screen, you will see that it is done entirely in javascript. You will see some HTML tags in there, but if you look closely you will see that they only appear within the javascript tags in a "document.write" type function.

·
ゲート オーペン!
911 Posts
well if u were talking about that yeah u r right the only html tags that I saw were : <html>, <meta>, <script> <!-- lol XD-->, anyway hmm so is that a big deal? would that actually slow down the site >_> idk just use firefox and the h3ll with IE it sux anyway that is going to solve the problem why bother with ie

·
Registered
774 Posts
Why don't you just access you e-mail in Thunderbird via gmail's POP3 access? That's the only way I ever do it. Just don't use Outlook Express if you actually want to have an improvement in your load time.

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
I remember checking when it was released, and Gmail used massive amounts of JavaScript - Something like 200KB.

That's one of the reasons it's so fast, actually - The entire site is drawn by Javascript + CSS, and every time you click on a page it contacts the server and loads only the data itself - no formatting information (IIRC on IE6 it uses XMLHttp for data transfer, cool stuff).

[]s Badaro

·
ゲート オーペン!
911 Posts
Badaro said:
I remember checking when it was released, and Gmail used massive amounts of JavaScript - Something like 200KB.

That's one of the reasons it's so fast, actually - The entire site is drawn by Javascript + CSS, and every time you click on a page it contacts the server and loads only the data itself - no formatting information (IIRC on IE6 it uses XMLHttp for data transfer, cool stuff).

[]s Badaro
so then why would it look slow for him in IE?????????, and do u have any idea why would js call the "coffee mug"?????????/ XD

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Nope. It stopped doing it again after another reinstall tho. God only knows what was happening.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts