Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings PCSX2 team! Before I begin, i'd like to say first and foremost that this isn't one of those "OMFG! PC$>< TWO rU/\/S t3h s|_O\/\/!!!!oneone`11". Far from it. And i'd also like to thank the team for all the time and dedication they've put into this. Everything really does look phenomonal. Anyhow, moving along, I just had a few questions regarding the PS2's architecture situation. From what i've gathered, PS2's and PC's are built practicly nothing alike. And getting PCSX2 up to playable FPS's is going to be a pain in the rump. I can't imagine how hard it'll be to get a full 60+ FPS... anyway, here's my question. What ideas have been brought forward as far as 'speed optimization' goes? Or, to be perfectly straight...

How the heck does the PCSX-2 team plan on getting this mofo up to speed??? And more importantly, are you guys up for the challenge? Thank you for your time.
 

·
Emulation to the max!
Joined
·
2,560 Posts
i dont think "the team" is really gonna outline there speed optimization strategy to anyone who will not be of any help for the project. In due time they will find better more efficient ways of doing things but telling you they are going to use a combination sort instead of bubble (as example) really serves no purpose. just be thankful that 0.8 will be released soon and post your encouragement in a previously made thread.
 

·
Experenced But New User
Joined
·
866 Posts
Dodger said:
Greetings PCSX2 team! Before I begin, i'd like to say first and foremost that this isn't one of those "OMFG! PC$>< TWO rU/\/S t3h s|_O\/\/!!!!oneone`11". Far from it. And i'd also like to thank the team for all the time and dedication they've put into this. Everything really does look phenomonal. Anyhow, moving along, I just had a few questions regarding the PS2's architecture situation. From what i've gathered, PS2's and PC's are built practicly nothing alike. And getting PCSX2 up to playable FPS's is going to be a pain in the rump. I can't imagine how hard it'll be to get a full 60+ FPS... anyway, here's my question. What ideas have been brought forward as far as 'speed optimization' goes? Or, to be perfectly straight...

How the heck does the PCSX-2 team plan on getting this mofo up to speed??? And more importantly, are you guys up for the challenge? Thank you for your time.
Going into the future and stealing newer processors to run it on.
 

·
PCSX2 Coder
Joined
·
10,122 Posts
Dodger said:
here's my question. What ideas have been brought forward as far as 'speed optimization' goes? Or, to be perfectly straight...

How the heck does the PCSX-2 team plan on getting this mofo up to speed??? And more importantly, are you guys up for the challenge? Thank you for your time.
So far, not a lot! The only form of speed improvement they have done is the recompilers, which can only do so much, they arent really bothered about the speed at the moment, once emulation is perfect (or near perfect) then they will probably concentrate on speed and optimising.

until then you're just gonna have to play simple games ;p
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
52 Posts
Hey, well regarding speed optimizations, we are taking quite a few steps. First off, you'll notice in the coming days that the VUrec ( VU instructions were being interpreted before, now they are also being recompiled ) has improved alot, giving around 700% gain in some games. Secondly, GoldFinger is working on Register Caching technique which will also provide speed boost, for more information on this contact us on IRC. Other types of speed factors we are looking into are moving to the 64bit platform and gearing up for the Dual-Cored AMD64's( if our pockets stick with us :p ) which will provide significant speed boost. But all this will take time, so be patient :)

Do stick with us...we won't give up that easily. We will emulate this biAtch to almost perfection and then maybe move onto psp or ps3 :p
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,933 Posts
See guys? Give them a chance to speak for themselves before you jump to any conclusions.

Its also good hear someone with a positive attitude for once. Thank you. Saqibakhtar.

saqibakhtar said:
Other types of speed factors we are looking into are moving to the 64bit platform and gearing up for the Dual-Cored AMD64's( if our pockets stick with us :p )
Another good reason members should donate funds and hardware to the project.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting. And yes, I will still with this emulator for a long time to come. Happy trails emulating the PS3!:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
in my personal opinio, i think the memcard reading and writing should be optimized for now because i was trying to do a save game in WWE: Raw vs Smackdown, Mortal Kombat Deception, and some other games, i waited like 2-3 hours just to get MKD to finish saving, WWE Raw vs Smackdown took way too long that i got tired of waitng
 

·
PCSX2 Coder
Joined
·
10,122 Posts
hbk0259 said:
in my personal opinio, i think the memcard reading and writing should be optimized for now because i was trying to do a save game in WWE: Raw vs Smackdown, Mortal Kombat Deception, and some other games, i waited like 2-3 hours just to get MKD to finish saving, WWE Raw vs Smackdown took way too long that i got tired of waitng
thats cos memcard support doesnt work properly yet ;) nothing to do with the optimization of the code
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Wow, good to hear from you guys. At least we know you weren`t assasinated by Sony secret agents :lol: (just joking).
Originally Posted by Viper_Viper
Going into the future and stealing newer processors to run it on.
If you could do that, then why not get the latest emulator version instead of paying for a new processor ? (retoric question)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,071 Posts
Cloud Strife 7 said:
If you could do that, then why not get the latest emulator version instead of paying for a new processor ? (retoric question)
I don't think there is anyone who wants a High-end processor just to get playable speeds on their PC because the best stuff is usually the most expensive. Know what I mean ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Yea, im gonna buy a 100Thz CPU for $3,000 to emulate a PS2.... LOL
GO BUY A PS2 TO SASTISFY CRAVINGS. But, I said in my post... it is just awesome to see a game system emulated on a PC. That is all there is to it. It's kinda "amazing"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Oh yea, did I forget to mention.. I poop and get tired (Bro, lighten up - It has already been said that the emulator is in the process of trying to run properly rather then getting 60fps) So why all the fuss about "optimizations"? Just be patient. Everyone is too touchy. I respect every effort being show here.
 

·
Familiar Face
Joined
·
4,971 Posts
OPTICON said:
Oh yea, did I forget to mention.. I poop and get tired
That's kind of an irrelevant/unimportant, not to mention stupid, post. Grow up. Anyways, that aside, saqibakhtar, you guys rock. I'll be honest, speed isn't anything that I'm concerned about, compatibility is more of an issue I'm sure, but if speed increases are in the works, I won't try to change your mind :) I'm glad you guys have that kind of dedication. I'm sure you'll kick just as much ass in emulating the PSP/PS3 as you're doing right now with the PS2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Poor attitudes

OPTICON said:
Oh yea, did I forget to mention.. I poop and get tired (Bro, lighten up - It has already been said that the emulator is in the process of trying to run properly rather then getting 60fps) So why all the fuss about "optimizations"? Just be patient. Everyone is too touchy. I respect every effort being show here.


I agree with Ocitigon Seems like alot of people want to show their a----
by their hateful comments. I could care less about speed at this point would rather see games work. By the way guys , youre hard work and dedication to this emulator is amazing
 

·
Familiar Face
Joined
·
4,971 Posts
kenelad said:
I agree with Ocitigon Seems like alot of people want to show their a----
by their hateful comments. I could care less about speed at this point would rather see games work. By the way guys , youre hard work and dedication to this emulator is amazing
Well, Mr. insightfull, you may not know that up until that opticon guy edited his post, all it said was:
OPTICON said:
Oh yea, did I forget to mention.. I poop and get tired
So if you think that these kinds of posts are appropiate, may I direct your attention to bositman? I'm sure he wouldn't smile at that post either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Dude, it doesnt matter, I corrected myself for you.. but, I did it in a way that made me seem better then you. So... go do something with yourself... It was meant to be comedic... go out to a bar and have a drink or somethin... GOD
 

·
Familiar Face
Joined
·
4,971 Posts
OPTICON said:
Dude, it doesnt matter, I corrected myself for you.. but, I did it in a way that made me seem better then you. So... go do something with yourself... It was meant to be comedic... go out to a bar and have a drink or somethin... GOD
And I think you need to check the rules. This isn't a forum for clowns (though many do come here). And I don't see how you made yourself seem better than me, if that was your intent, I can assure you it wasn't mine. As I said before, grow up.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top