Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to get ePSXe to work with hardware acceleration at decent speeds but its getting rediculous. I'm running on an Athlon 700 with 384m of RAM and a GeForce 256 DDR. Now, theoretically, this should be plenty to be able to play the playstation but every 3D game I play runs like utter crap. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night runs great, but unfortunately, that isn't the game I want to play right now (Ghost in the Shell is!).

I've tried all the D3D, DX7, OpenGL plugins by everyone and they all seem slow. I'm running the 12.41 nVidia Detonator drivers with DirectX 8 installed.

This is the most frustrating part. Games run supremely faster when using software rendering. Now something is DEFINATELY wrong here.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've tried all the graphic settings and none help! =(

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
There's a Ghost in the Shell game?!!!?! I loved the movie, must find the game now must must mussssssst!!!! Well it sounds like you have something tweaked improperly 'cause you should get just fine performance. Go take a look at a guide for tweaking your geforce http://www.tweak3d.net/ and also if you're using a via chipset you'd best make sure you've got the latest drivers for that too.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
One thing I discovered while playing around with Lewpy's and FF9 is that resolution has a MASSIVE effect on the speed of the game. Try bumping your resolution down.

·
Registered
91 Posts
try 640x480 res with FSAA at 4x.

much better and faster. i myself have only a geforce 2 mx and a 1.1 athlon but games tend to run at full speeds already with very very infrequent slow downs.

use only pete's ogl plugins. they work best for geforce cards. although i noticed that the paletized setting does not work very well with bilinear filtering in the legend of the dragoon.

anybody noticed? or is it just cursed me again ;)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Hey sorry to get off topic here.
Ghost in the shell has almost nothing to do with the anime. It's a fun game but you play as a spiderlike tank that can cling to walls and ceilings. I think you play as someone in the same branch of armed forces as the girl in the movie did, but you're some kinda tank driving rookie. I only played a few levels of the game a while a couple of years, but my friend said it was really fun.
BTW there's a cool anime opening Mdec.

Elixir, this isn't much of a fix for your problem, but a general way to speed up game play is by Making an ISO of the gameby using CDRwin or ISObuster.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
As Pete has mentioned, the palettized mode hasn't been full tweaked out due to faulty support in both nvidia and 3dfx drivers. That's why it comes out looking so poorly for you sunstorm. I was already assuming that Elixir was running 640x480 (or less even) but yes bumping your rez down to that if it isn't will make a big difference.
Thanks for explaining Ghost, Adair. Doubt the local rentals here have it though. Grr. Sounds like a weird game.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ISO ISO ISO

Adair mentioned it bud, Make an ISO, I was having similar problems (and I have a low spec computer) playing Tekken 3 (the only game I own for the moment) and I discovered that my CD-ROM reader was the problem, it seems that the plugins doesn't like my CD drive, or my CD drive doesn't like PSX games. Anyway I made an ISO and the runs great now, 60 fps at 640x480 (it was like 23 from the CD). So before trying anything fancy (like throwing your computer out of the window) try to make an ISO of the games.

Cheers.....Drac

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is another alternative if you're in an experimental mood... I have a Ge2 MX and was running Pete's OpenGL at full screen in reses of 1280x1024, 1024x768 and so on.

My desktop resolution is at 1280x1024.

I found that if I started up ePSXe with Pete's OpenGL set at 640x480 and then pressed Alt+Enter as soon as the first screen came up, it went to a window on my desktop. Here's the kicker : The window sized itself to a resolution down from my desktop rez (in my case my desktop is 1280, so it sized to 1024, leaving a border around the screen) .. but the speed seemed much improved, the aspect ratio looked perfect, and the 3d was at native desktop resolution (1280x1024) with a viewable area of the aforementioned 1024x768.

I do that all the time now, and I find it works very well. Give it a try, you never know.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I believe that when you use alt-enter to switch to windowed mode it uses the res you have set for windowed mode, which can be very different from what you have set for fullscreen mode.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's the weird bit; I was playing around with windowed beforehand, and it's still set to 800x600, and yet it comes out as 1024x768... I was wondering if there was a correlation, but I didn't mention it because of this :)

Still seems to work better than starting in windowed, too. Weird eh? I think so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts