Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Extra Large Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few jpg's online where they first load a b/w image, then add color to it (similar to progressive encoding, except that progressive loads full color/low quality images first and then builds up the quality). I saw a pic like this once before and had tried to find a program with such an option, but couldn't find any. Is this only available in certain proprietary jpg algorithms, or do only a few progs have it, or...?
I saved one such pic and viewed the image info on it. The info indicated it was made with software from LEAD technologies (which supports the proprietary theory).

·
Extra Large Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmm.. I've posted this on a couple different boards. They all have many views, but no responses. Apparently no one knows what this wierd thing is. (I suspect it might be tied to the arithmetic algorythm since it is rare and proprietary, and this is rare (and seemingly proprietary).) Does anyone know of a site full of jpeg experts I could ask about this?

·
Extra Large Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was done within the image itself, not through scripting or anything. I asked about it on another site, and someone suggested it was encoded in such a way so that the Y channel (greyscale info) loads first, then the U and V channels load the color info. This behavior does fit the image I saw.

Excalibur- Yes, firefox.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Different browsers load images differently. Like at school on the macs I use they do that scanline weird thing, when on others it is pixelated then becomes more clear, and then on some other browsers and systems they just pop up :p

It's the browser - not the compression. On ways images load compression should have nothing to do with it. ;)

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Yup, you were definately right :)

·
Extra Large Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope. You're both way off (at least in this case). Nearly all other jpgs either load line by line (if they're baseline format), or in blocky low quality followed by slightly higher quality, etc (if they're in progressive format), but this one and a few others load greyscale first (line by line like a baseline jpg), then quickly throw in the color.

If anyone wants to see the pic in question, let me know and I'll PM the link (it's a nude woman, so I can't post it here).

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
We're not way-off because different browsers do handle loading things differently

Well can't you ask whoever created the jpeg this question? :idea:

·
Extra Large Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're both way off (at least in this case).
I've been using firefox for a very long time (since back when it was still called phoenix), and have seen countless jpgs with it. If it were a case of different browsers loading images differently, A) I would have noticed it soon after first changing to phoenix and B) it would load all jpgs the same (or at least all baselines the same and all progressives the same), yet the very first line in my original post clearly states that this only happens with very few jpgs.

Can't ask the creator of the image, because I have no idea who it is. The site I originally found it on had a collection of images from different sources.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Dang. Maybe this will be one of those thin s you'll never know for the rest of your life :laugh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts