Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello!

Alright.. I hope someone out there can help me with this... I've been using epsxe for ..eh.. a year or two, at least.. though I don't really know a lot about what goes on in the plug in boxes and whatnot... though I have sounds lovely websites showing me the best config and learning from that (thanks Kane)

((ranting goes here))

So.. Here I am happily playing chrono trigger in my snes emulator. Long short,, it wigs out utterly and refuses to let me program my controls I want. Much struggle, and I switch emulators. Then I find my RL hard copy of the psx version of the game. I guess the best idea would have been to just dig up my playstation from wherever it is and play it there. but noooo.. I'm a lazy *******... -_- It takes me a while to finally get all the plug ins for graphics and all that.. get it all set up and start playing. There we go...

((problem starts here!))

All my sounds and graphic plug ins are happy and working great.. I'm happy. Then I get the urge to listen to a certain set of mp3s that.. really just don't blend with the CT music very well.. So I close out the emu, disable the sound. close it again and restart it. no sound. All happy. My set me mp3s finish playing. And I, conveniently, have just encountered Storyline rather then the same old running around and leveling.. I save state, and exit the emulator. Start it up again, reenable the sound.. close it all, open it again and start up the game and.. wait.. where is my sound? I close it and double check that, yes, I reenabled the sound, everything is set as it should be... wtf, man?

I reboot. Twice. each time, it doesn't work.

Something else to note; in during all of these.. I honestly don’t' recall when... several separate events happened:

1) My keyboard has been "blessed" with a power key. My cat stepped on said key and my computer dropped everything on the able and shut EVERYTHIGN down and I'm left staring at the screen with a sigh.

2) I noticed that a lot of my CPU cycles were being used. Like... all of them... I open the task manager and find several copied of epsxe running.. I end task all of the *****es since they had no window... after this point, I always closed using he 'exit' option in the menu, rather then going for the red x in the corner.

3) I changed my language settings. I had, previously been set to Japanese or flaogastonia or something (hell if I know how it got set to /that/.... I only recall changing in to Japanese so that I could get a Japanese game to play properly) and changed it back to English. I have no earthly idea why this would make a difference. I believe this was shortly after my incident with the power key, and before I rebooted manually.. as I THINK the accidental shut down happened before I noticed the problem..

anyway.. here are my system specs:

something like...
3ghz
110gig hd... 2-3 gigs free
some shiny NVIDIA graphics card,, with at least 32 mb of ram
1 gig ram...
winxp pro

I had been using Eternal SPU Plugin 1.41.. set up according to Kane's specs.. (though I may have set it all that way after the issue began) he sound, CDDA and XA boxes are all checked as they should be and had been... it simply did not resume working after I forced it to mute...

I tried the eternal spu plugin lite 1.41... no go.
I tried the epsxe spu core 1.5.2./// Ah! a sound! but.. oh my god that sounds terrible o_O
I then try P. E. Op. S DSound Audio Driver 1.9 .. hey.. I have sound... great. unfortunately it's only slightly better then that of the core plugin, and none of the sound effects play, to my knowledge....

I have also tried unzipping new copies of the emulator, and the plug ins... the eternal plug ins, that is.. no go..

I am at loss. I had a friend suggest deleting everything, deleting registry entries and everything (well.. reinstalling,, actually, but..) ... then rebooting at least twice and trying again. I'm going to try that next after I tries a few more plug ins... but.. the two I have tried are both rated full fives at ngemu... yet one of them sounded not-so good, and the other.. well.. isn't working anymore... Regardless, I’m going to try the rated 4 plug ins and see if nay of those will do what I need.. then try my friend's idea.. and.. hope that in the mean time, some nice person out here helps me out...

and, because I'm honestly not sure if this has changed or not... the mp3/wave slider in my playback control panel no longer makes a pinging noise when I click on it. The playback control does, however. I want to say the mp3/wave one did before... but I could be wrong. regardless, mp3s play alright... every volume is set up at least half way and I hear sounds fine... just not epsxe sounds... and there is nothing amiss in the device manager.

help? please?

Levi

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Hayashi_levin said:
I save state, and exit the emulator.
There's the problem right there. NEVER use save states with the sound disabled. It totally messes the sound settings up (as you have discovered to your cost). Your only hope for fixing this is to:

1. Load the state.
2. Goto a save game point and save using a proper memcard file
3. Exit the emu
4. restart
5. run the game
6. load the memcard.

However, the problem with this fix is that on some occasions if you mix save states and memcards the memcard gets saved into the state, rather than to the hard disk. It is for this reason that using savestates on multi cd games (especially square games) is generally considered to be a really bad idea. Anyways, if that happens to you then you can download psxmemtool to rip the memcard out of the save state file.

Failing all that I'm sorry to say but you'll probably have to restart you game.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Betamax said:
There's the problem right there. NEVER use save states with the sound disabled. It totally messes the sound settings up (as you have discovered to your cost). Your only hope for fixing this is to:
Bah.. if only I had known... c_c Then again, it's hardly a common thing for me to do--turn the sound off, I mean. The part that truely confused me was that I could get other sound plugins to work.. but not that one.. but then... I'd probably be best just accepting that it's jsut One Of Those Things and not ever doing that again..
's rather avoid any problems before they start, of course...

1. Load the state.
2. Goto a save game point and save using a proper memcard file
3. Exit the emu
4. restart
5. run the game
6. load the memcard.

However, the problem with this fix is that on some occasions if you mix save states and memcards the memcard gets saved into the state, rather than to the hard disk. It is for this reason that using savestates on multi cd games (especially square games) is generally considered to be a really bad idea. Anyways, if that happens to you then you can download psxmemtool to rip the memcard out of the save state file.
Hoo-ha. I did something similar and checked when my last ingame save was... it was only a few minutes earlier, thankfully... and the sound was working fine there.. so.. saved myself the trouble of resaving ingame and stuff. Makes me quite glad I'm paranoid about saving as much as I am about my save states... (it helps also that I suck at most games..) thank you much for the fix.. Iwas half afraid I was goign o have to go though andplay with no sound -_-

*pauses and peers for a moment* If I interpret this correctly.. you're saying that the issue with using save states and in-game saves is that.. er.. I'm thinking about how if I save state in a snes emulated game, save in-game, then restore the saved state, I'll loose the ingame save that I had jsut made. Is this the same idea--only it happens on occasion rather then consistantly, or...?

No.. I think I am slightly off in my understanding... but.. ?

Would there be a way I can notice this happening, and if it happens, will the probably be consistantly there liek a wound that deos not heal, or might it fix it's self if I don't notice it and jsut resume normal play?

Failing all that I'm sorry to say but you'll probably have to restart you game.
Thankfully, no.. as said, my game is hapily playing sound at the momnet.. thank you so much. ^__^ I really really appreciate the help and appreciate in advance the answers you offer.. ^^

Thanks!

Levi
(ps: Betamax is awesome. great choise in name ^^)

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
*pauses and peers for a moment* If I interpret this correctly.. you're saying that the issue with using save states and in-game saves is that.. er.. I'm thinking about how if I save state in a snes emulated game, save in-game, then restore the saved state, I'll loose the ingame save that I had jsut made. Is this the same idea--only it happens on occasion rather then consistantly, or...?

No.. I think I am slightly off in my understanding... but.. ?
From what I remember, it doesn't always do it, but it is as you described. the surefire way for it to happen is usin SStates on the save screen iirc

·
Registered
1 Posts
This helped me too

yea so this is exactly what happened to me and i loaded up from the mem card and bam it works

thanks!

bump!

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
i doubt you ment any harm but is it really necessary to revive a nearly 5-year-old thread just to say that? please do not bump threads like this in the future.

closed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.