Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cn someone tell me what would i need to make my one sound plugin ? If somebody could tell me it , i'll apriciate it !!

·
Registered
136 Posts
well....
  • A C Compiler such a VC++
  • Patience
  • The SPU Interface from Pete's Site
  • Patience
  • An API to work with such as DirectSound
  • Patience
  • Lots of free time :)
If you haven't got the main point in this list (i.e. Patience) then you probably wont get far, as nothing works first time!

Pete would probably add to the list that you need at least some experience in the C Language aswell! which is very true :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
>What's a good site for C++. I want to learn it
I haven't seen many good sites regarding C++, but the "...in 24 hours" book series tends to be fairly cheap and will give you a good overview of some of the basics (inheritance, class creation, enum, etc.) Bjarne Soustrip (I'm quite sure I've misspelled his name, so if he's reading, I'm very sorry ;) ) wrote a book about it that's fairly well regarded. While information dense, you're not likely to find a better reference (after all, the author is the language's creator ;) ).

You'd do well to avoid college textbooks if you're just being introduced to the language, seeing as how a good many of them are quite terse and more project oriented.

·
Registered
230 Posts
One of my favorites has been "programming and problem solving with c++" by nell dale, chip weems, mark headington. Its gonna cost about $120. A good program that i would recomend using is "Code Warrior". It has great compatability...

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted to thank you all for the info , and i will start with work imeadtly !!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Why not C++? Hummm... i wonder how simmilar C is compared to C++.... In 4 years of college, we never adressed that issue... But we talked about crappy languages like Fortran... ew....

If you dont know C++, you are very lucky...

·
Emu author
1,488 Posts
Pure C all the way! I don't know much about C++, but I do know that C doesn't have classes, good private/public variable handling, iostream, templates, some types, and I don't think it's as strict with syntax and allows more casting. Don't know for sure though.. anyway pure C is fine most of the time :D

- Exophase

·
Registered
513 Posts
>Hummm... i wonder how simmilar C is compared to C++....
C++ is named as much because it's "additional C" (or somesuch). Namely, C++ is the C language with the addition of class support. Because of the overhead associated with inheritance, classes and the like C++ is known to be a wee bit slower as a language than straight C. C's also famous for being very minimalist, given that it's defined less rigidly than C++, so it tends to let you work "closer to the machine." Of course, not having that layer of abstraction also puts you at greater risk for doing something incorrectly.

If you're going to be coding an emu or plugin, or anything else that requires relatively quick interaction with either the OS or some subsystem, you're most likely be best served by C (at least for the time being). As C++ improves and compilers are optimized, it might become a better solution, but, as I'd said, C is probably your best bet right now.

To be quite honest, this thread could probably go on forever, debating the merits of C over C++. Each has its strong points, the release of a new compiler, set of libs, and the like rendering some argument for or against either language moot.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
C++? If you don't know how to program in the first place then you should start with something simpler! Why not try <a href="http://www.python.org">Python</a>? You can learn a lot in about a day and it makes for a good starting language.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yeah, if you dont know any programming language, you might want to try basic before you jump off the deep with a higher level language...

BTW: Thanks for the information about C, i asked my prof and they just said it was a dead language... bla bla bla... we [as in the university system] bla bla...

Maybe i will look into it because i am gathering information on the xbox to possibly write an emu... since its already going to be close to a pc... But i think i will most likely stick with C++ since i have been programming in it for 5+ years...

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
FYI, all of my plugins are done in C, all of my frontends are done in C++

In the plugins I like to have more control over the code, in the frontends
I like to use the MFC libraries for all the window/gui stuff...

2,209 Posts
Thanks.

Cluthu i got that 24 hour book but for c. It's pretty good. just got it today. It wasn't cheep, it was $40 bucks.

Pete what's with the numbers for the version of the program. What do they mean? Like 1.50 and 1.5b and 1.2.0. Why thoes numbers and why that order?

Thanks again for all your help.

2,209 Posts
What programs do you guys usually use. I got this Dev-C++ off the net. it's okay I guess, but I don't know much about programing. At a course I made a video game. I'll post it tommorow. :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts