Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that during video sequences, like the one at the begining of Legend of Mana, sound only comes out of my left speaker. However for normal gameplay, the sound works fine, and I can clearly hear sound out of both speakers. This doesn't make the game unplayable, however it's giving me quite a headache.

I've found that only certain plugins do this, and some plugins will play sound from both speakers, but the video sequence stops partway through (For legend of mana, it's right after the square logo disapears).

Is there any reason for this? It doesn't always happen, either. In Chrono Cross for example, the sound in videos is just fine.

I've tried multiple plugins, including Petes, Eternal, and P.E.Op.S., with a variety of settings. Is there something I've missed? Is there a setting somewhere that would fix this problem?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
I think that has more to do with your soundcard drivers than with the plugins. You should try upgrading to the latest ones, or if you are using them, downgrade to a previous set to see if it's a bug introduced on the latest.

If you think it's the plugins, check that everything but 'spu irq hack' is enabled under config->sound, and use eternal. Configure eternal tu use directsound, a buffer of aorund 40-64, audio out method spuasync-smooth mode, neill's reverb, and you'll probably need the first special fix. Leave everything else disabled.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
so, you say for some plugins it plays both but crashes? which plugins are those? if it's Eternal, do you have the Square games special fix on?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I-Chan said:
I think that has more to do with your soundcard drivers than with the plugins. You should try upgrading to the latest ones, or if you are using them, downgrade to a previous set to see if it's a bug introduced on the latest.

If you think it's the plugins, check that everything but 'spu irq hack' is enabled under config->sound, and use eternal. Configure eternal tu use directsound, a buffer of aorund 40-64, audio out method spuasync-smooth mode, neill's reverb, and you'll probably need the first special fix. Leave everything else disabled.

I'm not sure if it's my sound card or not. I haven't tried it with another computer, or replaced my sound card to check. I've already tried downgrading drivers 3 or 4 versions, but that didn't help at all. I also changed the settings to the ones you specified, and the game does sound slightly better now.

hushypushy said:
so, you say for some plugins it plays both but crashes? which plugins are those? if it's Eternal, do you have the Square games special fix on?
P.E.Op.S. and Petes will play from both speakers, then in the middle of the FMV, it will stop and skip straight to the menu or the game.

Eternal will now play sound from both speakers during the opening movie, however after you place the mailbox at the begining of the game, another video plays, and it only plays sound out of the left speaker.

I'm going to stick my old soundblaster live! in my computer and see if that solves the problem.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I've tried turning the square game fix on in eternal, and it doesn't help.

·
Is this thing on?
2,121 Posts
Check your driver configuations. Be sure it is set to 2-speaker-config. Disable Dolby for this case. ePSXe plugins have no support and capability for AC3 encoded sound tracks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts