Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I finally broke my own mold by actually purchasing a sound-card. However my reason probably might not be yours. Yesterday, my onboard sound died.

The driver only recognizes my HD audio jack, it has no support in Vista(this is the same driver I've used on this mobo for almost two years).

It works in linux but not without a loud wirr behind every sound.

Well as a replacement; I decided on this.

This is just to point out that sometimes necessity is before entertainment. If my PC is rendered deaf; I lose about 70% of my usability out of the fact that I'm a guitarist for a local band and I really.... can't have that happening... at all.

Has anyone else been in this situation? This is more of a "put the doughnut on and we'll buy the tire later" sort of thing. I can't afford 40 bucks worth of sound card at the moment.

EDIT: Jaded moment, forgot I wasn't in Hardware ^^;;

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Hmm. I had the onboard sound die on me in a computer once, and I did the same thing as you, just got a $10 card off newegg. Never noticed a difference in sound quality between low end and high end sound cards anyway, but I'm no audiophile.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
When my audigy died and I had to go back to using on board sound I noticed that the sound that came out of the speakers were particularly flat and without much tone. Many of the more subtle sounds that are played are lost and it generally sounded fairly poor in comparison.

That being said the software for the onboard sound is very poor in comparison with what was on offer with the audigy creative settings and I have a feeling it has more of an impact than the actual card did.

However, I still take having any sound over a mute speaker anyday.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Can't be worse than on-board I guess. I noticed a huge difference in sound quality and noise reduction when I went away from onboard. It depends on your speakers though.

Moved it for you :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.