Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok something that has crossed my mind for a while. How much of a impact would sonys new cell proc thats used in the ps3 impact the pc gaming world today vs the the strongest quad by intel of today.

the biggest question is how far do you think the cell would make it in the pc world of today.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The Cell is probably better than a Core 2 quad when a game is designed for it. The Cell is made for gaming. Look at Killzone 2 or Uncharted 2. The PS3 was able to do that with just 256MB of main ram, a weak and old 7800 gpu with just 256mb of vram. I doubt that any Core 2 Quad could do something like that. It is because the Cell processor isn't just a normal cpu, it is a hybrid between a cpu and a gpu. The core 2 Quad is just not designed to be a gaming cpu.

The Cell even beat the i7 in video encoding.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Cell is probably better than a Core 2 quad when a game is designed for it. The Cell is made for gaming. Look at Killzone 2 or Uncharted 2. The PS3 was able to do that with just 256MB of main ram, a weak and old 7800 gpu with just 256mb of vram. I doubt that any Core 2 Quad could do something like that. It is because the Cell processor isn't just a normal cpu, it is a hybrid between a cpu and a gpu. The core 2 Quad is just not designed to be a gaming cpu.

yep the cell processors speed is 1 terrabyte thats beyond flying

·
Registered
400 Posts

I love my ps3,I dont anything is touching it game-wise right now thing is just a str8 beast.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
2 different style of processors which handle different functions.

thus they cannot be compared.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
That actually depends, Current PC cpu's are actually crippled by an x86 overhead., if we were to write software to work natively on them, them i've no doubt the Intel Quads would be faster.

but still. then it comes down to architecture vs architecture, design vs design.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
I don't know if Cell would be the upgrade I'm thinking of - But am I the only one who thinks the x86 (and the x64 even) architectures are too outdated and we need to stop holding onto supporting legacy software and upgrade to something better?

Emulation and such could help the transition.

·
Registered
47 Posts
why not? no doubt you can say pc's can do overall more,but when it comes to gaming hands down I think ps3 dominates.Ive yet to see a pc outperform it in this field and I know ppl with beastly pc systems.
Basically every game that was released on both PC and PS3 would prove you wrong. In fact most cross-platform games the xbox 360 performs better(usually only slightly, but occasionally the difference is spectacular).

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
I don't know if Cell would be the upgrade I'm thinking of - But am I the only one who thinks the x86 (and the x64 even) architectures are too outdated and we need to stop holding onto supporting legacy software and upgrade to something better?

Emulation and such could help the transition.
While your idea would be good unfortunately X64 is not even supported as it should :lol: let alone something new.

·
Registered
235 Posts
this thread is like comparing a cordless drill to a chainsaw. the processors have different purposes so you can't put them head to head like that.
I gues you and squall in this thread understands whats being talked about, people like the thread maker and others who agree with him know nothing what they are talking about.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
how can you compare totally different stuff ?

Intel Quad would kill those ps3 proccy if games where written natively for pc. those games are made keeping in mind ps3 proccy and when they shift it to pc, pc proccy can't take full advantage of the design.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Cell crunches numbers faster. Think of it like a single Pentium 4 processor (clockspeed at about 2.4GHz, I think) with 8 Voodoo 3...

The current fastest quad-core by default runs like 4 Pentium 4 processors at 5GHz.

So depending on what it is that you want to do, they will be fast and slow accordingly.

However, I am quite certain that Cell would outperform the latest quad-core by quite a lot if it's games, since Cell is more... geared towards high-performance computing environments and specifically for tasks such as graphics rendering or physics emulation. I mean... pair a GeForce 7800GTX with the latest quad-core and compare that to what the PS3 can do.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Cell crunches numbers faster. Think of it like a single Pentium 4 processor (clockspeed at about 2.4GHz, I think) with 8 Voodoo 3...
I doubt that a single Pentium 4 at 2.4GHz would have the strentgh to direct and control the spus. The main ps3 core is a power pc core that is just like the XBox 360s. It's clocked at 3.2GHz. PowerPC cpus were known to be clock for clock faster than x86 cpus, ESPECIALLY the pentium 4. The difference was that they didn't have high clock rates. To say that the main cpu is as fast as a 2.4GHz pentium 4 would mean that the pentium 4 is clock for clock faster than the main core of the cell which is hard to believe

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Ok. So you are telling me that a Power PC chip can out run a Core 2, let alone an I7.

Hello?

Wait, what company used PPC cpus to a large extent?

Apple

What CPU are they using now?

Uh huh.

For your information, a Core 2 is an x86 cpu, and the I7 is also an x86 cpu.

The Chip inside a PS3 is a Cell chip, NOT a PowerPC chip.

The Cell itself is a HUGE deviation from a Power PC design. It maximizes floating point operations over other methods of calculation.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
lol you pwned 'em Phil.

PS3 = Sony Cell Proc

360 = PowerPC chip (made by IBM)

Current Intel/AMD line-up = x86

Not really rocket science :lol:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Ok. So you are telling me that a Power PC chip can out run a Core 2, let alone an I7.

Hello?

Wait, what company used PPC cpus to a large extent?

Apple

What CPU are they using now?

Uh huh.

For your information, a Core 2 is an x86 cpu, and the I7 is also an x86 cpu.

The Chip inside a PS3 is a Cell chip, NOT a PowerPC chip.

The Cell itself is a HUGE deviation from a Power PC design. It maximizes floating point operations over other methods of calculation.
Cell (microprocessor) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes it is a powerpc architecture cpu. Also, I never said anything about a core 2 or i7, I specifically said Pentium 4, and I said that the powerpc cpus were known to be faster clock for clock than x86 cpus. I didn't said that it was specifically faster than an i7. I was just talking in general.

Also, look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Architecture#Processors The Cell is listed as a powerpc architecture chip. The Cell was made in combination with Sony, toshiba and IBM

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.