Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
band
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for engineers/aspiring techies/nerds in general this new development is very interesting. despite the fact that many fuel cell breakthroughs are taking place, this is the first ive seen that uses buckyballs and that alone automatically makes it cool. of course, its also the most efficient kind of its type right now and from wat we're seeing on the site, it appears that it'll be the first readily commercializable one because of its nature.

Source: Slashdot

·
The Nexus of a Crisis, and The Origin of Storms
767 Posts
Greetings,

That is an interesting article, thanks for sharing. The only thing they dont explain is how exactly they are using the methanol for fuel. The only way to get the energy from methanol that I know of is combustion, and even if they use a non-flame catalytic method to generate heat, they would need to have miniature steam turbines in the battery packs to generate the electricity. Doesn't seem very effecient or realistic, so they must be utilizing some other method. Time to do a little research on this DMFC technology. I will share any pertinant links I find for others who might be interested.

Sincerely,
TastEPlasma

PS For those interested in how exactly this tech works, check out http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/p.a.christensen/dmfc1.htm . I have to admit, they are on to something really nice here, utilizing direct combination of methanol and oxygen to produce electricity. In an ideal situation virtually no heat would be produced, and the only by-products of the reaction are carbon dioxide and water. Very clean.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.