Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yeah, buy a portable and limit your games to what you can buy from an online store that is a monopoly...

I'm glad I own a PSP 3000. If this is the future, I'll leave gaming. I'm not going to buy a download only system.

Sony plans to keep PSP downloads at 'pricing parity,' whatever that means

"Here's a great scenario for you, if you happen to be Sony's wallet: charge $250 for a handheld console without a physical game media option, and then charge on average $5 more for downloaded titles than they go for at retail, since you have zero competition in the download space. That seems to be SCEA's definition of "price parity" right now for the PSP, though in Japan downloadable titles have been on average slightly cheaper than their physical counterparts. Sure, it's rough on retailers if they have to compete with a lower-than-MSRP price coming straight Sony, but the likes of Amazon are already at below MSRP on plenty of titles, and we're not so sure consumers are going to take kindly to paying more for less (in the physical sense, anyway) after they already splurged hard on the PSP Go... not that they'll have much choice in the matter, outside of trying their luck at the old swap-a-roo."

PSPgo downloads to cost more than UMD

"There’s just a week to go until the PSPgo finally goes on sale. But a Sony exec has said that downloads from the PSN store won’t be cheaper than buying UMDs. So the question remains, is it worth forking out for a PSPgo? Read on to see just what Sony has to say for itself.

In an interview with Destructoid, Sony America’s Eric Lempel was keen to make it clear that downloads from the PSN store for the PSPgo would not be cheaper than nabbing a UMD down at your local games emporium.

“Basically, we have pricing parity right now,” said Lempel. “It is part of our strategy. We’d like to keep it that way, keep a level playing field.”
"

Added quotes...

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
wait, so first off, they remove the oportunity to loose money from seccond hand games, and now they are actually charging more to download even thougth they will already get more money in the first place due to royalties and s*** ( i dont know how this works im assuming they get a small percentage of every New game sold, so ill assume they are already going to be making a larger profit), somehow this doesnt seem all that fair, but hell it is good business if it works.

·
Unrelenting
2,286 Posts
and now they are actually charging more to download even thougth they will already get more money in the first place due to royalties and s***
And not have to package the product or pay retailers etc. that's why the $5 more average part makes no sense to me and sounds just thrown out there for the sake of a figure. Just have to wait and see I guess.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That hasn't actually been said.

They really want to get rid of UMD by the looks of it.. and an idea to combat piracy. Even though I don't think its the right way of going about it.
Those were quotes from the articles, did you read them?

:evil:

·
Unrelenting
2,286 Posts
Yes but the article writer wrote them; not quoted from anyone of importance.

Also there is talk of the UMD verification program to get free download on psp go for games you prove you already own and possibly an upload system.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes but the article writer wrote them; not quoted from anyone of importance.

Also there is talk of the UMD verification program to get free download on psp go for games you prove you already own and possibly an upload system.
Impossible, as it would encourage piracy...

I could get a "free" download for a game I "prove" I own, then resell/trade/give away the UMD, then the next "owner" could get a "free" download...

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's not impossible. Many systems could be used to minimize that issue. One example, a "marriage" system between that particular umd and the pspgo you wish to get the game on.
UMDs are DIGITAL, how do you distinguish one UMD of say Outrun 2006 from another UMD of Outrun 2006?

And what happens if your PSP Go breaks? You lose everything on it!

Whereas if my PSP 3000 breaks, I buy another PSP 3000 and keep playing the UMDs!

·
Unrelenting
2,286 Posts
I'm sure they would have some sort of identifier on/in them. It was just an example :p and it's still better then nothing. They have commented on this already so it still might happen in some way. More specifically:

I asked Sony's John Koller, Director of Hardware Marketing for Sony, what the company planned to do for their most loyal fanbase—those who'd amassed a large collection of UMDs but who'd also like to play these games on the Go. His response:

We're in the midst of putting together a good will program. We'll be unveiling that soon [because] we actually think there's a significant group that will be upgrading from the 1000...In the past, we've seen a 20-25% trade-up factor, and I assume that's going to be the case here. We've modeled that. So we're looking at a good-will program—a short term good-will program that would continue for years afterward."
"We are looking into programs for owners who have previously purchased UMD titles and want to exchange them for digital versions," said Sony Computer Entertainment's Brian Keltner. "It's something we are still hammering out the details. As soon as we have solid plans in place we will make an announcement."

Keltner added that SCEA hopes to have the plan in place before the PSP Go ships.

Sony's John Koller, Director of Hardware Marketing, told Gizmodo that the program was a "short term good will program that would continue for years afterward."

Earlier this year rumors surfaced that one of the programs Sony was looking at would put kiosks in retail stores that would allow gamers to turn their UMD games into digital ones.

Keltner declined to comment on the rumor.
A little hope something will happen.

I do agree with you however. This is not something I'm going to buy anytime soon.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
We all know Japanese are the most suicidal in the world.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In other words trade your game for a virtual one?

I might buy a few "cheap" used games and trade them in that way, but there's no way in Hades I'm trading $20+ games for virual ones...I'm not an idiot like those morons spending cash for virtual money in World of Warcraft...

:angry: :cry:

·
エリートキラー
392 Posts
From what I hear, PSP Go's made for media. Smaller size is better for music/movies. The game controls suck. It's way easier to carry a music player without UMDs. The huge storage is perfect for music. And the pause feature is probably to watch a video or something. Go's for music and stuff and 3000 is for gamers.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So people will buy PSP Go's and not any games for it? COOL! :) :thumb: :wub:

·
エリートキラー
392 Posts
I think the gaming feature is like a bonus for the Go. Like a few pastimes you play once in a while. There has to be a reason they made it look like a phone.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think the gaming feature is like a bonus for the Go. Like a few pastimes you play once in a while. There has to be a reason they made it look like a phone.
But if people don't buy games for it, where will they make their profit? off downloadable Sony movies? :evil:

They need people to spend mucho money on games so they'll make a profit. With that attitude what companies will make 3rd party games for the PSP?

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Game title | PSN price | Retail price

Tomb Raider Anniversary | $12.99 | $19.99
Twisted Metal Head On | $15.99 | $19.99
Wild Arms XF | $14.99 | $19.99
WipeOut Pulse | $22.99 | $29.99
Warriors Orochi | $14.99 | $29.99
Valhalla Knights | $14.99 | $39.99

...stop this already. PSP Go is here to stay. You can't do anything about that. :p

And FYI, those are prices on the US PSN. I can check the EU PSN and the Japanese PSN as well. It makes no difference. These download titles ARE cheaper than their physical counterparts. Whoever says otherwise either needs a reality check (seriously...), or is just intentionally spreading bad rumors to falsify the image of the PSP Go so that they can justify not supporting it. A certain video game retailer chain in Europe comes to mind... :innocent:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.