Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i have read in a magazine that Sony haven´t bought VGS, they have (Connectix and Sony) make an association to replace a chip in the PS2 (Sorry, I don´t rebember which one).

The objetive of this is emulate the PSOne in the PS2; I hope that when that happends, we´ll be able to get a better (and maybe a definitive) version of CVGS

What do you think????

Seifer :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is taken from the press release:

As part of the agreement the two companies have resolved all legal issues pertaining to Connectix Virtual Game Station (CVGS). For consideration, Sony Computer Entertainment will acquire from Connectix all assets related to the VGS emulation technology. Connectix will continue to offer the current version of both CVGS for Macintosh and Windows until June 30, 2001. Connectix will provide continuing support to existing users. All further emulation development for the PlayStation® game console will proceed under the auspices of the joint agreement.

Translation, VGS will only be made after 6/30/01 if sony wants it to. The odds of that are slim at best. Sony prety much entered this agreement (read buyout), to get virtual PC (a product line they were trying to aquire before VGS was released). So don't hold your breath (unless Connectix releases one at the last moment, and I wouldn't bet on that either)

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Considering how quiet Connectix has been over VGS recently (as in NO update about VGS since the rebate offer was announced/pulled (the latter without an announcement)), I highly suspect it's dead.

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
Actually I thought that fpse is also dead but they came up with a walla emu....................!

Now as far as VGS is concerned maybe they are working on an advanced emulator,I mean they are making more advancements in the next release of VGS and taking their time.

But on the other side everyone thinks it is dead and so do I........!

Lets hope for a new and better VGS.The dead line is approaching

Ali
M.L.A

S

·
0 Posts
I think VGS is dead....and to be honest the differences between 1.3 and 1.41 are not THAT big either (mainly a few small fixes and fixed the display bug on some pc's).....it's a good emu as it is now though.

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
Man actually I still like VGS,I feel it is still the best just that the graphics sort of a suck but are tolerable.

It runs almost all the games in the book of psx.Not only the compatability but man the speed is also very good.All the game run at full speed.The GT2 is slow on epsxe but it runs perfect on VGS.

But there are some games which run very well on epsxe such as smack down 2!..........

But on the contrary I think that VGS is still good and we wish that it lives a long life.............................!!!

Ali
M.L.A

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That´s exactly what i´m saying; they are trying to emulate PSOne on PS2 because they want to reduce components inside the console; it will run PSX games and PS2 games (the emulator will works with PSX games; the console with PS2)

That´s all i know; and i agree with liaqatali, VGS it´s an excellent emultor becuase it compatibility and speed; also the graphics are not the best ones, but you can play with them and it have a minor glitches in compartion with the other emulators.

All what we have it´s to pray for a newest (and maybe a definitive version of this emulator. I still think that it´s alive, but there isn´t any new that tell other thing, until this one so this is my only hope.

Seifer

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think it's dead...

No matter, we have epsxe! Anyways, why does soney want virtual pc? What plans do they have for that?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what???, they also want Virtual PC???

What does this program do???

i have read in aldo´s site that Virtual pc just let you to save anywhere; can u explain me what´s going on???

Seifer

·
Registered
26 Posts
Virtual PC was an app designed to run PC software on a Mac. The newest setup's designed to allow you to go from between OSes w/o rebooting. Hard to say what sony plans to do with it (I can take a few educated guesses and say it's for the notebook PC section, or possibly tablet PCs, but it's hard to say for sure.) There's also a possibilty they think it can be converted to go the other way (PC on linux), maybe for a non-M$ tablet PC, but that's unlikely at best (from a business standpoint)

For a description of the new virtual PC, see:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/18678.html

The replacement of the chip may not be as far fetched as it sounds either, given plans to drop the PS2s price by about $100 around september to combat the X-box and Gamecube hype (unfortunatly, this is place of the usual $50 E3 and second $50 pre-xmas drop, so it means being more patient if you want a good deal). It's still unlikely however that Sony would go to a software emu in the PS2, barring near-perfect emulation (a difficult prospect at best)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by Seifer
That´s exactly what i´m saying; they are trying to emulate PSOne on PS2 because they want to reduce components inside the console; it will run PSX games and PS2 games (the emulator will works with PSX games; the console with PS2)

Seifer
ARE ALL OF YOU DENSE?!! PS2 can ALREADY emulate PSOne games (and with greater compatibility at that). What componets, they have the same I/O Processor and it was so easy for it to emulate, they included it in the PS2.

On another note, can't some talented people out there hack VGS and start making it better? Possibly adding graphic enhancements? This would all be illegal of course.

S

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by JDK

ARE ALL OF YOU DENSE?!! PS2 can ALREADY emulate PSOne games (and with greater compatibility at that). What componets, they have the same I/O Processor and it was so easy for it to emulate, they included it in the PS2.

On another note, can't some talented people out there hack VGS and start making it better? Possibly adding graphic enhancements? This would all be illegal of course.
not more illegal than the patches that are out now...as long as the exe is not distributed illegally I don't see much harm in it.

·
Old Geezer
148 Posts
From the way Sony has been hounding bleem!DC these days, I have come to the conclusion that Sony bought VGS to kill it. :eek: . 'Nuff said.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if they did buy out Connectix to shut down VGS. Can't beat 'em, buy 'em. Which is a shame too because I was hoping Connectix would release a Win2K version or something =( Does anyone know of a patch that will enable you to use VGS with Win2K so I don't have to keep dual booting everytime I feel like using it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Why did Sony want to take VGS off the shelves? It wasnt on a lot of a game store shelves in the first place and many people who do have VGS probaby have a cracked version (i.e. me). PSX was one of the most succesful systems ever, and lots of people (I think 27 million or something) have a Playstation... and VGS was never a best seller.

Yet Bleemcast! was a best seller and why? Emulation on PC has one drawback: You need a good system. Now most people don't want to spend over a thousand dollars (if they don't have the money) updating our making a new computer just to play PSX (or any games) on their computers. But DC is only 99 bucks! So with Bleemcast you can enjoy GT2 with Geforce 2 on EPSXE graphics but only on the Dreamcast (plus no glitches). People don't have to worry about buying new equipment or worrying about compatibility. Isn't that great?

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
Bleem!Cast cannot possibly approach ePSXe graphics due to the minor problem that televisions cannot produce high resolutions (Try hooking your video card to your TV, you'll notice you can't actually READ any text anywhere). FSAA is a great feature, it helps a lot, but you STILL want some high res involved.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
> Why did Sony want to take VGS off the shelves?

The most basic of motives... money. Connectrix developed a legal system that can play psx games on a pc ... and this included backups. Sony gets most of its money from the licensing of the games. nuff said.

>It wasnt on a lot of a game store shelves in the first place and many people who do have VGS probaby have a cracked version (i.e. me).

To begin with sony had some sort of court order preventing them from selling it and was seeking other legal action. Think about it. if you were a store would you sell a product that you might be forced to remove from you shelves?

Man did you even READ the rules. Warez are not allowed and can get you banned

> Emulation on PC has one drawback: You need a good system.

True ... but Bleemcast has its own disadvantages

1) you need a separate vmu to save games (is more than double the cost of Bleemcast)
2) you can only play one game per pack (as apposed to the comparitively larger list for epsxe etc..)
3) It doesn't work in all DCs .. only ones that can boot mil cds

Thats three to your one

>Now most people don't want to spend over a thousand dollars (if they don't have the money)
updating our making a new computer just to play PSX (or any games) on their computers.

Ok my main machine is an athlon 650 which I purchased a year ago. I have no problems running games (ableit FF9 UK). I would call my machine average for today. My second machine is a K6 2 300. The games on this are about 2/3 of normal. That said quite a few games are still playable.

> People don't have to worry about buying new equipment or worrying about compatibility.

See disadvantage no 1 and 2

Personally I'll stick with epsxe

·
Old Geezer
148 Posts
At TV resolutions, no. Epsxe is much better. Using the VGA box for the DC, maybe. You'll see games for the DC at resolutions for which it was intended to be (NTSC 640x480, PAL 640x500 something). Then again, a console is made for TV, right? ;)

If that were the case I would rather buy a PC than a DC.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts