Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Shadow of nothing...
6,071 Posts
I don't think PS3 is worthy of nVidia. Nice though. It better be good.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
The big N doesn't have ATi. ArtX (which were just before the release of the GC bought out by ATi) provided the chip for the Gamecube, but ATi are doing hte Xbox2 chip, IIRC.
That said, it's not too surprising. Sony like to side with winners and nVidia have had a bit of experience in the console realm with the Saturn and the Xbox.

·
Shadow of nothing...
6,071 Posts
saturn had nVidia graphics?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Huh? I though the Saturn's graphics were handled by several weird custom chips designed by Sega. It made the saturn the most powerful 2d system ever with full 3d capability, but it also made it a b*tch to develop for. I don't think nVidia would've designed a scheme like that...

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Just some scoop from console history fan DW:
Xbox Next will go ATI
ATI bought ArtX who made the GPU for Gamecube. Nintendo's Revolution is reported to also use a custom ATI chip

nVidia was originally approached by Sega who was interested in their integrated NV1 chip. The NV2 chip would have been used for Sega Saturn, but nVidia was interested in quadratic texture maps, and Sega was into triangle acceleration....Long story short..The deal fell through. Supposedly, the NV2 chip was used in Sega Pico...We have checked the PCB boards on Sega Pico, but find no proof of this

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Imagine if the PS3 is OpenGL compatible. The big deal about this is Nvidia GPUS are extremely easy to program for. And Sony is not looking for another nightmare like the PS2. The Xbox programmability is a big deal and sony knows it cant keep relying on its methods for 3d acceleration and lack of programmability.

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
I think sony are desperate and NVIDIA too. Lately sony has been going down down and down ( disregarding spider man 2, which was it's only good news ) the PS3 has to beat the XBOX 2 and it'll be no easy task, that's why they're trying to use wierd stuff like cell processors and such. As for Nvidia xbox was 25% of their total income, they need a new console partner.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
nVidia was originally approached by Sega who was interested in their integrated NV1 chip. The NV2 chip would have been used for Sega Saturn, but nVidia was interested in quadratic texture maps, and Sega was into triangle acceleration....Long story short..The deal fell through. Supposedly, the NV2 chip was used in Sega Pico...We have checked the PCB boards on Sega Pico, but find no proof of this
Uhhh.... IIRC the Saturn did use quads. The NV1 was an integrated graphics and sound board with multi CPUs on it which was also released for the PC (the Diamond Viper anyone?). Sega released special versions of certain Saturn games which worked with this quad accelerator.
From what I remember, nVidia were cut out the Dreamcast production stage early on due to thier refusal to drop Quads. This nearly killed the company, and yet somehow they've come back to be the monolith we see today.
I'd hardly say SCEI were in any kind of dire straights. The PS2 is an incredibly successful piece of h/w and there are quite a few big name new games out: GTA:SA, Jakk3, MGS3.
nVidia are back in strength too with thier NV4x chips reclaiming much lost ground from ATi

>that's why they're trying to use wierd stuff like cell processors and such

You mean the processor which Sony and IBM have been developing since before the PS2 was released?

>the PS3 has to beat the XBOX 2 and it'll be no easy task,

In Japan, it will be. The PS2 has far far far more Japanese created titles for it, and is the king of RPGs this generation. In the US indeed, where they seem more concerned with specs than a good game it may have a harder time if the power difference is similar to this generation, but I'd hardly say beating the XBox would be particularly difficult for a company of Sony's influence in the console world

·
Banned
177 Posts
Question: Does the Xbox, ps2, gamecube work well with higher res televisions such as HDTV's? Because I imagine that Sony, MS, Nintendo will be focusing on this if they havent already since more and more folks are getting Higher res televisions simply because they continue to become cheaper by the year. Regarding the topic: It seem's Nvidia has a better grasp on the major video game contenders because of $$. Take FFXI for example it has Nvidia plastered all over it. Doom 3 is another new game that works best with nvidia. THis could be because as stated earlier nvidia chips are easier to code on, but I think there is alot of $$ deals working. Can somebody tell me a few "new" games that work best with ATI ? Now then with the new ps3 its a hypothesis that one would think nvidia would pwn ps3 graphics. Not to say ATI is better or Nvidia is better, but money talks :D

Also as kane said ps2 is king of rpg, making Nvidia im sure put high bids on the ps3 rights.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Almost all xbox games (except for a few early ones) have 480p or higher support. With ps2 games it's hit and miss, but many newer games have 480p support. Also, the old ps2's weren't capable of progressive-scan dvd playback, but the new ones are capable. As for the gamecube, I'm not sure.

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Oops...looks like we had a brain fart..
Indeed NV1 did quads, but the chip WAS NEVER used in the Sega Saturn. However, nVidia and Sega did work together to produce hardware accelerated PC versions of Saturn games and allowed the use of Saturn controllers on the Diamond Edge (Virtua Fighter, Virtua Cop, and Panzer Dragoon to be exact)

We do disagree that Sony is desperate..How can that be when they have dominated the console market since the late 1990's. How can Sony be going down down down..They have dominated both GC and Xbox in total sales in every market. Not sure what your smokin ChankastRules...hehehe

ChrisRay...you touched on a good point. The PS3 will be an OpenGL beast, and it is being reported that both Sony and nVidia have been working together for 2 years developing middleware for the PS3 and other products. It looks like the Sony / nVidia tag team wishes to go toe to toe with M$ / ATI and their middleware XNA

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
Kane:
Maybe it will even if M$ is making sure xbox 2 will be a larger in Japan compared to xbox ( however I think the largest reason the PS2 has a lead there is because sony is a japanese company (yes this has a impact on what games they release ) and M$ is american (which explains x-box is doing well in America , the xbox has many great games even if they're not to your taste, so that part on it being bought just for power... nope.)

OO, and I have said this before, but I fear Microsoft they'll give away xbox 2 for free if they have to just so they'll conquer this market. ( It's not that I'm a huge fan of the xbox or anything like that)

The Aviator:
Well, half-life 2 heard of that game? ( it works better on ATI ), as do most directX based game ( all games except doom 3 really :) ), however on the newest cards the diffrence between them in games is only a few FPS so it's just a matter of price and brand really.

·
Banned
177 Posts
Half-Life 2 is geared for ATI ? roxxors. Thats a loss for Nvidia and a gain for ATI by far. HL 2 pwnz

Also about OpenGL, that will make PS3 pwn xbox2 unless xbox2 has some trick up there sleave.

Well for xmas im getting a gcard but not sure which one. Im stuck between either x800 pci-express 256mb or a geforce 6800 256mb pci-express card. As of now in my current setup i have a x300 128mb pci-express card, which is a nice card nothing special but nice.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Aviator said:
Half-Life 2 is geared for ATI ? roxxors. Thats a loss for Nvidia and a gain for ATI by far. HL 2 pwnz
Doesn't really matter anymore. It would have made a difference if Half-Life 2 was released when it was *supposed* to last year, but as it stands, there's not much of a preformance hit with using nVidia in HL2.
- Modem

·
/dev/user
407 Posts
ChankastRules said:
Kane:
Well, half-life 2 heard of that game? ( it works better on ATI ), as do most directX based game ( all games except doom 3 really :) ), however on the newest cards the diffrence between them in games is only a few FPS so it's just a matter of price and brand really.
Yeah, for the newest generation cards which all belong to the over 100fps club, it doesn't really matter.

I respect sony and hope that the PS3 will be a bastion of good RPGs as was the PS2.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Maybe it will even if M$ is making sure xbox 2 will be a larger in Japan compared to xbox ( however I think the largest reason the PS2 has a lead there is because sony is a japanese company (yes this has a impact on what games they release ) and M$ is american (which explains x-box is doing well in America , the xbox has many great games even if they're not to your taste, so that part on it being bought just for power... nope.)
It wouldn't be hard to beat hte XBox in Japan. The Xbox was a complete and total flop in Japan. Beating that is little achievement. That said, even with MS' power and money it's very difficult to break that market....
Well, half-life 2 heard of that game? ( it works better on ATI ), as do most directX based game ( all games except doom 3 really :)), however on the newest cards the diffrence between them in games is only a few FPS so it's just a matter of price and brand really.
Firstly the difference in HL2 is not significant compared to say Doom 3. Secondly I've yet to see benchmarks saying that ATi always win in D3D, wheras the bulk of benchmarks I see show that nVidia pwn ATi in OpenGL.
Also about OpenGL, that will make PS3 pwn xbox2 unless xbox2 has some trick up there sleave.
Yes and no. D3D is I believe easier to program for, and we all know that the XBox 2 will be using some *******isation of DirectX
Well for xmas im getting a gcard but not sure which one. Im stuck between either x800 pci-express 256mb or a geforce 6800 256mb pci-express card. As of now in my current setup i have a x300 128mb pci-express card, which is a nice card nothing special but nice.
I'd say a 6600GT or a 6800PCX. That way you can SLi them at a later date ;)

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
I thought there was this whole thing with OpenGL being an arse as standards take an age to implement, so games have to be programed with custom extensins in mind and the custom extensions are not universal across hardware.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts