Next Generation Emulation banner

Song Handycam annoyance

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  masta.g.86 
#1 ·
Hey. I've got hold of some SONY Handycam DCR-SX30E video files here. The camera records to .MPG extension (MPEG-2). Here's the problem:

- Can play in VideoLAN, but...
- Cannot edit/import them with ANYTHING. Tried converting/importing with Windows Movie Maker, Adobe Premiere Pro CS4, Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate, VirtualDub and VLC media player converter - All of them either fail to import or they convert to another un-importable format.

Has anyone had any experience with these SONY MPG files?

Does anyone know a program which I can use to tell me exactly which codec I need to get hold of to playback/decode/convert/whatever a video file with? I'd like to have more detailed information about these MPG files.

#4 ·
Do these MPEG2 videos play in any media players?

Media Player Classic: Home Cinema can be used to figure out the actual codecs being used by right-clicking the video as it's playing and selecting 'Properties'. Then just select the 'Details' tab to see the video/audio/subtitle streams.

Also, VirtualDub won't open MPEG2 videos unless you are using v1.8.0 or later and have the MPEG2 plugin in the 'plugins32' directory. Otherwise, you have to use VirtualDubMod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.