Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new 1 gig (2x512mb) of ram for my computer, totaling 1.5 gb. hoping to max out my settings and still get decent fps. Unfortunately i still cant. On games such as swkotor and dungeon siege 2, i have to put settings on lowest just to achieve max fps. Im thinking it could be my video card, but its not that outdated:

Pentium D 2.8ghz
Ati Radeon x600 series 256mb w/Hypermemory
1.5 gb DDR2
Latest Drivers etc.

Isnt the x600 somewhat recent? shouldnt i be able to play games on max and still get good fps?

·
カラム
365 Posts
Well, the Dell Demension 9100 wasn't made for Gaming, the Dell Demension XPs was.

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so it is my video card lol. well thanks i guess ill be getting a new one may 1st (birthday)

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
does your motherboard support dual channel memory? because if it does, youve spoiled your chance of having it, if you took 1 stick out (your older one most preferable) youd be able to take advantage of dual channels speed boost which may help you, its not likely you will use more than 1gb most of the time anyways.

Also it might be due to mixing different types of ram, so again, taking out your old stick may help

·
カラム
365 Posts
The Dell Demension 9100 does support Dual channel. I don't believe it is his video card, he should be able to max out the setting. Maybe it is his RAM. He did spoil Dual Channel.

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
i spoiled it? how? right now the old ones is (256mb x 2) and if it is spoiled how do i fix it?

Edit: how big of a speed boost?

·
Windows 8 Pro
1,148 Posts
Dual-channel memory won't give you much of a boost. If you aren't getting 10fps now, DC DDR won't give you 50fps.

The video card is the bulk of your problem. It's simply a low-end card designed for low-end performance. That's why they cost $80 new.

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha darn really? would a geforce 5500 fx 256mb do any better? just wondering even tohugh its uncompatible with my computer

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Looking at this chart, my 6200 only loses to the x600 xt...

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow... that is horrible lMao

·
カラム
365 Posts
You could get a Sapphire X800GTO2, or a 6800GT to dramatically increase performance.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
If you want good performance for a low price, you can get either a GeForce 6600 GT on Newegg for $119 after rebates or a 6800 GS for $199 (much cheaper than a 6800 GT, uses less power, and performs about the same). If you're willing to risk flashing a new BIOS to your card, look at the X800GTO2 that GCFreak mentioned. You can unlock 4 extra pixel pipelines with them and overclock them to X850 XT speeds (they actually have X850 XT chips on them :p), and they only cost $199-211 on Newegg, whereas normal X850 XT's are $250-400. There's just two things to remember: the GeForce cards do Shader Model 3 but the GTO2 only does 2.0b, and you have to make sure your power supply is strong enough to handle the cards. I wouldn't run a 6800 GS/X800GTO2 on a 250w power supply, for example :p.

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
alright thanks n_w perhaps i will get a new video card for my birthday on may 1st. Now i just need a guide to removing and installing a new video card (pci-ex16)

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
If you want I could make a short video of it :p. Adding/removing PCI-E cards is very easy. It seems that with each generation of expansion slots, it's easier to install stuff (ISA was a *****, PCI was somewhat hard but easier, AGP is pretty easy unless you have to deal with the retention tab near the front of the card, and PCI-E almost feels like nothing is sliding in/out of the slot).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.