Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv had this comptuer for like alittle over a week now, just built it. what could be causing it to automaticaly restart itself? it does it almost every 20-30 mins. it did it this morning. and alittle while ago. ut that was after i clicked on my thermaltake. which i figgure wouldnt make it reset itself?

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
Well Id suggest checking the temp of your case and your cpu.. if its overheating it will do those reboots

Also you should try disabling the automatic reboot after BSOD (I think it was in my pc) so if its a software problem you can see where it is

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
If it's not the cpu overheating it may be a virus that is causing your RPC to reset your computer because it is shutting down a main system process. You can try setting the RPC to ignore shutdown requests in admin tools somewhere... but I forget.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Proto said:
Well Id suggest checking the temp of your case and your cpu.. if its overheating it will do those reboots

Also you should try disabling the automatic reboot after BSOD (I think it was in my pc) so if its a software problem you can see where it is
I doubt its overheating. i stuck a sensor probe under the heat sink which displays the temp. The case instructions Said to Stick the sensor Under the processor but I couldnt do that without voiding the warrenty on the processor. So i put it under the heat sink. (hopefuly its the same thing) . But wheres that BSOD thing?

this is the first pc i built ever so i wouldnt be supprised if their are problems.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Sounds like a virus. I can't remember the name of it, but there was a virus that randomly restarted people's computers, though more frequently than a half hour... also don't see why you wouldn't be protected of it, unless you downloaded a infected file. Download the trial version of Norton antivirus and scan your computer, then just uninstall it. Damn thing makes everything run slow. :)
- Modem

http://nct.symantecstore.com/fulfill/0001.105

·
He's watching you.
1,221 Posts
it could be the yourdoom virus.

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
Well, it you are running windows xp, and you are getting a "system has recovered from a serious error" message, then go ahead and send in the error report. Often it will bring up a webpage telling you a list of the most likely reasons that that particular error occured. I actually had that problem myself...or, well, something similar...and it turned out to be I needed to upgrade my audio drivers. (Crappy onboard audio...grrr....) Anyway, rather than using a temperature sensor, download Motherboard Monitor or something, and make sure your drivers are up to date.

·
Nintendo Zealot
1,425 Posts
Raiden1803 said:
The case instructions Said to Stick the sensor Under the processor but I couldnt do that without voiding the warrenty on the processor. So i put it under the heat sink. (hopefuly its the same thing) .
Ok are you saying you put the probe between the heatsink & the cpu core ?
If so Im not suprised its constantly restarting as it would mean the core isnt connecting with the HS & removing the heat properlly.
If I miss understand you & thats not correct & you have updated your windows install with the microsoft update then you prob wont have sasser or another worm, I would get memtest86 & run it on your ram to see if thats causing the random restarts.

http://www.memtest86.com/

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
run services.msc and put "Restart service" instead of "Restart my computer" in RPC. But i doubt thats your problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
What I would do is monitor the apps that are running at start up for this 30 min.
That way you can eliminate most if not all of them to conclude if it is a virus or possibly a driver problem. I'm shure you built the machine correct but it is important to get the wires to the mother board setup correctly according to the instruction booklet. It does happen that a wire or two is put in the wrong spot. I'm talking the power button and lcd lights. To eliminate the audio drivers just turn the audio card off in the control panel.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actualy its starting to sound alot like sasser. Mcafee's Security Center keeps Deteciting A Virus lsass.exe , fixing it, and deleting it. iirc from the link someone posted (forgot who)

If the Sasser worm finds a vulnerable machine on a local network or the Internet, the worm sends a specially crafted packet to cause a buffer-overflow in lsass.exe. The overflow contains instructions in a script file, cmd.ftp, on the newly infected machine to open TCP port 9996 and instructions to download a copy of itself from TCP port 5554 on the previously infected machine as

[some random number]_up.exe.
im going to run a fix for it anyway. but i still find it odd as to i have sp2 installed and mcafee keeps fixing it that its still causing problems. but im going to run that fix anyway.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
lsass.exe is not a virus but an actual windows process run services.msc to find out which one. This file though is the target for many virus's and if infected should be disabled and then overwritten.

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
try setting your AGP spped at 4x or 2x or as low as you can (just dont set it to disabled)

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Raiden1803 said:
Actualy its starting to sound alot like sasser. Mcafee's Security Center keeps Deteciting A Virus lsass.exe , fixing it, and deleting it. iirc from the link someone posted (forgot who)
Do you have a firewall installed?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts