Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this probabaly belongs in the "Off Topic" discussion forum, but since it is specifically emu related, I put it here. I just got a HandSpring Visor Deluxe hand held PDA the other day. I was looking a the HandSpring site and imagine my surprise when I found a Game Boy emulator for it. I downloaded the Demo and tried it out, I was amazed. It plays the games excellently and is sharper than a real Game Boy. I ordered the full product plus an Over Clocking utility as well. The only downside is that it plays only original Game Boy games and the sound sucks. But, Game Boy on a PDA, who would have thought?
sincerely,
sx/amiga

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's quite a bit of emulators for handhelds, whether it be Palm or WinCE devices. PocketGB, PocketNES, Liberty, etc, are a few examples..

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting that you should mention Libertry in your list CD. Liberty is the GB emulator to which I am refering. I was playing it last night and my son asked if I had bought a Game Boy. Liberty is an excellent emulator.
Asz, a GBA emulator for PDAs? I will have to keep my eyes open for that one. Thanks for the news.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
171 Posts
my brother is interested in visors and hand held's
so i'll checking the news about it, so dont forget to get some .
see ya

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
hmm, emus for Palm OS devices? i've heard of them, but cant imagine using those buttons; arent they hard to use as a dpad and two buttons?
the Casio WinCE devices would be more like it ;)

btw, i think there is an Atari 2600 emu on Palm OS as well.

I dont know about GBA emus either. if my P3 500 cant display all frames at correct speed for Final Fight One, I can't image trying that on a PDA...

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
on the other hand, if the PDAs are powerful enough to emulate the GB, perhaps we'll see GBC, NES, SMS/Game Gear on PDAs in the near future. That'd be the day :cool:

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I'll try and find the link to the site I saw news of a GBA emu for a PDA... I I can't then you can all throw dirty socks at me.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Small update here. The GB emulator that I got for my Handspring Visor Deluxe DOES play GBC games as well. Last night I tried Zelda-DX (for GBC) and PacMan special Color edition (for GBC) on Liberty (the emulator for the PDA). Lo! and Behold! they worked, perfectly. So if the GBA emu shows up that Asz was talking about, I'm set. Also I have heard of an Atari 2600 emulator for the Palm OS, now if I could just remember where it was.
Takwu, I use a thing called the "Game Face". It snaps over your PDA and gives it a D-Pad and 2 buttons. It works excellently.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
sxamiga,
yeah, i've heard of that accessory... it was made for the Visor only. but i didnt know much more. how does it work really? is there some pictures on the site. hmm i'll try to find...

as for Asz, that site you linked has a GBA emus page as well, but none is for PalmOS or WinCE :(

i still dont think any current pda would be capable for GBA emus anyways...

ahh, and let me add to my list of platforms that may be emulated on PDAs: Lynx, NeoGeo Pocket, Wonder Swan (?)
:)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The "Game Face" snaps onto your PDA, like the cover that protects the screen when it is not in use does. The "D-Pad" fits over the up,down,left,and right, buttons and the other two button cover the function butons on the PDA. Imagine a GB w/A on one side, then the D-Pad in the middle, and B on the other side.
That is how the "Game Face" does it. As I stated it works really well and is quite responsive actually. Also, takwu, you're right, the "Game Face" is for the HandSpring line of Visor PDAs only.
I, also, wouldn't mind seeing any of those other machines you mentioned emulated as well. Lets hope someone is willing to attempt it.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
as the writer stated, you can buy a comparable MP3 player for that price.

and for his "but why?" well:
1. it takes up your only spring board slot
2. you cannot take it with you and listen without the visor
3. you must transfer files thru the visor
and the list goes on.

i thing it's a little bit gimmicky, and the writer has the new tech and/or cool toy bias

if, however, that the module is priced under comparable mp3 players, then its kinda cool.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts