Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be possible to recompile an entire game, and save it as a recompiled version, this way remove the need for dynamic recompiling? ( I guess this is what JAVA does but each time on startup instead )

·
Registered
88 Posts
i was wondering something like this some months ago but forgot to post it :p
what does recompiling do anyway..?

·
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I guess it is easier to describe it from JAVA, you have a file with code, and it should be possible to run it on different hardware, operating systems etc etc ( this is not possible if it's compiled into machine specific executeable ), so what JAVA does is to take the code and compile it to work for that version of operating system hardware etc, ( which make sure it runs on the hardware availiable ) I hope that explained it. I'm not all that good at describing. Anyway I guess it's now somewhat off topic from my original post :S

In the PS2 case this is ofcourse much harder because it has to take the PS2 machine code and convert it into PC compatible machine code.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Java already has the app in a precompiled form. It's quite different to a complete recompile.
I think that wouldn't be possible tho. From what I understand, you'd need the game sources.

·
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, I know this is why I wrote that it's much harder for PS2 :O, It's not impossible to recompile from machine code though, it's just much harder. ( For simple machine code I can do this )

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
ChankastRules said:
I guess it is easier to describe it from JAVA, you have a file with code, and it should be possible to run it on different hardware, operating systems etc etc ( this is not possible if it's compiled into machine specific executeable ), so what JAVA does is to take the code and compile it to work for that version of operating system hardware etc, ( which make sure it runs on the hardware availiable ) I hope that explained it. I'm not all that good at describing. Anyway I guess it's now somewhat off topic from my original post :S

In the PS2 case this is ofcourse much harder because it has to take the PS2 machine code and convert it into PC compatible machine code.
Actually, Java doesn't ever get recompiled from its bytecode form. It's interpreted by the virtual machine running on that platform, which is what's been compiled for the platform.

Maybe you're thinking of .NET which does do JIT compiling.

·
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is what old Java did Flare ( but to avoid anymore discussion let's say what I wrote above goes for .NET instead this is very much beside the point :O), does anyone have a reply to the question I asked above, I should never have mentioned Java in the first place had I known this is what the discussion would turn into :(

·
Spirit of communism
178 Posts
Isn't it possible to convert all possible commands from PS2 to PC code BEFORE running the game (thats how I understand "recompile") I think it would emulation much faster (but I don't even try to imagine time you'll need to recompile)
P.S. JAVA? oO

·
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This was exactly my question Liquid :) I guess I'm not the only one woundering.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts