Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Moo.
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here are the errors. The program shuts down before I can do anything about any of them, but here they are.

1. Please setup a BIOS file.
Not exactly sure how to do this, where it goes/what it should be named.

2.DirectSoundcreate8() error.
File: ./SCSP_DirectSound.c
Line: 964
Function: SCSP_DS_Initialize

3. Direct Sound error.
./Main.c
Line: 5403
Function: _Execute_DirectSoundCommand

I've no idea how to fix these last two, as there aren't any files or folders that are named as such. I assume they're trying to be accessed through the .exe and aren't being found or something else is going on, but I'm not sure what exactly.

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,934 Posts
1. you need to rip the BIOS from the original Saturn and put it in the same folder as the emulator.

2 and 3. My friend encountered the same problem with his soundcard, I'm not sure if there are problem with certain sound cards?!? what system specs do you have?

·
Moo.
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do I need to name the BIOS?

As for system specs:
Intel Pentium 2.13 GHZ Processor
ATI Mobility Radeon X700
2.00 GB RAM
Using Realtek, Legacy, and Unimodem Audio Drivers.
Yes, I've got DirectX9.0c installed.

·
Miserable Bugger
1,094 Posts
I am having problems with the Beta as well. After I start it up, a few seconds later it gives me a error, one of those send error report/dont send report types.

The version 11 worked fine so this has me beat.

·
Moo.
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With this new version, every time I start it up I get "Please setup BIOS file." Then, immediately following that, Windows crashes the program. No errors are reported.

·
Miserable Bugger
1,094 Posts
Brand new folder with the name of the file download, the only file I moved across was my bios.

I'll continue to tinker around to see if I can identify if the problem is on my end though.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I believe the bios has to be named "bootrom.bin". That's what I read from an FAQ about the latest release anyway.

As I mentioned in another thread, I had the crash problem the first time I ran the beta emulator. But I ran it again and it has been fine ever since.

Perhaps the reason was that I ignored the error box and attempted to set up the BIOS anyway. I confirmed the option and received the dialog to reset SSF. I closed the emulator and the error notice and that was when I restarted the emulator. I had to setup the BIOS again but it didn't crash upon execution.

The BIOS was the only file I carried over from the previous version too.

·
KO'ed User
962 Posts
Very strange. I didn't have any problems with the beta verison. The change log was most sound stuff so maybe something got screwed up along the way? I dont see much difference between this verison and R13' so i guess people with this problem just just stick with the other one for the time being.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Shining Force 3 didn't work in the last version, but it does now. Also The fact that the sound emulation was upgraded is the main reason I want to use the beta: Dragon Force had a really annoying sound glitch but it seems more tolerable now.

The beta was working fine for me yesterday. Today I went to play it some more, and it crashed. Then again, and again, and every other time I've attempted to load it. Nothing changed overnight while my laptop was off, it just doesn't work anymore.

I tried deleting everything, rextracting the files from the archive, rebooting, etc. but nothing worked.

Yet as I write this I redownloaded the file (this time from the SSF site and not here), set everything up, and got the same exact results as yesterday: it crashed the first time, but the second time didn't. So I cannot understand this problem, and I have little doubt that it will stop working later. But it works as of this moment.

It's a shame that the developer is Japanese so it's impossible to report these errors and the fact that they're so wide spread (I've checked other emulator forums similar to this one and they have posts about crashing too).

The error mentioned something about AMD instructions, I wonder if everybody afflicted has an Intel processor? (My laptop runs an Intel 4 3.0 ghz)

Oh, I also wanted to mention that I was able to reproduce the DirectSound bug mentioned in the first post: it happened when I set the SSF.exe to Windows 95 compatibility. Disabling the compatibility option stopped the error.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
aperson said:
It's a shame that the developer is Japanese so it's impossible to report these errors and the fact that they're so wide spread (I've checked other emulator forums similar to this one and they have posts about crashing too).
The authors BBS has plenty of topics about this bug too, so you needn't to worry about that.

·
Super Moderator
5,478 Posts
cyclonmaster

Do not rename bios..just leave it alone and it will be fine.

·
Super Moderator
5,478 Posts
SSF 0.07 Beta R2' released!

Finally, I am able to set up bios in it without any problems. I am very happy that author fixed that problem I think. Now I m off to test some, finally! Thank you, author and keep up the good works. You are amaze!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.