Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
the last time i've tried playing with epsxe emu was last 1 or 2 years ago... at those times, i dont think i find some slowdowns when i play marvel vs. capcom or any other fighting games with my bro...not until now that i've tried playing again with the new versions of emu and plug-ins (cant remember the plug-ins i used before)... anyways, can anyone kindly tell me the best and fastest gpu plugin i can use with my machine...im using epsxe 1.7 now (used 1.6 before and dont encounter any slowdowns in marvel vs. capcom especially in full screen mode)...as well as the best configurations that gives fast performance but not so crappy display..

these are the specs,im using a toshiba l35-s2161 laptop...
Celeron M410 @ 1.46ghz
512mb ddr2 ram
ATI Radeon Xpress 200M series @ 256mb approx. total memory

all drivers are up to date...

thanks in advance

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
use the software, D3d, or OGL1 plugin, do not use the OGL2. unfortunately with onboard video, which isnt really intended for this type of gaming, your main roadblock is that you are either stuck with sacrificing peformance for image quality, or sacrifing image quality for perforance. if you want actual video setting suggestions you need to post a screen shot of how you have whatever GPU plugin in use configured atm.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Marvel Vs Capcom is a 2D game better use peops software plugin, fairly simple to configure just play with the resolution since your CPU isnt very strong i advise not meddling with Stretching and Dithering, for 3D games you can try Pete's Opengl or Pete's D3D, since its a ati card you have to set Vram in the plugin manually so you better check to see exact how much shared memory you have (your best choice is to check in bios there is a option for shared video memory its best that this is set at maximum at 128 for your config).

Here is a config for Pete's Opengl plugin (the Pete D3D plugin is pretty similar, again like before play with the resolution to get the optimum performance/visual on your PC):

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeap thanks for the advices... after a day of experiment with different plugins and configurations...i've accidentaly found a solution for my low specs laptop...
actually, i've tested using two gpu plug-ins...pete's openGL Driver 2.9 and pete's d3d driver 1.77 (i believe this is the one i've used few years ago)..

well this is how i did... with openGL Driver 2.9 i've configured it this way

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
GFX card: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Series

Resolution/Color:
- 640x480 Window mode
- Internal X resolution: 1
- Internal Y resolution: 1
- Keep psx aspect ratio:
- No render-to-texture: Å&

- Filtering: 0
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- TexWin pixel shader: on
- VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 0
- Framebuffer effects: 1
- Framebuffer uploads: 0

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Mdec filter: off
- Screen filtering: off
- Shader effects: 0/1
- Flicker-fix border size: 0
- GF4/XP crash fix: on
- Game fixes: on [00002004]

basically, this was the fastest configuration, apart that i've change the color depth to 32bit...the highlights of this is changing "desktop resolution" to 2048x1536.... and then, loading the game Marvel Vs. Capcom or any other game...when the game loads, i press the function key "f7" which forces epsxe's display to fit my screen,,, basically, i've used a higher resolution and forced it to fit my screen for a better display with the use of function key "f7"

same goes for the other plugin which is pete's d3d driver 1.77..but i've configured some things...still the highlight is changing "desktop resolution" to the highest resolution and pressing f7 when the game was loaded... here's my configuration for pete's d3d driver 1.77

Plugin: Pete's D3D Driver 1.1.77
Author: Pete Bernert
GFX card: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Series

Resolution/Color:
- 2048x1536 Fullscreen - [32 Bit]

Textures:
- R8G8A8A8
- Filtering: 3
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- VRam size: 128 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limit: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 3
- Framebuffer texture: 2
- Framebuffer access: 0
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: on
- Advanced blending: hardware

Misc:
- Scanlines: on [0]
- Unfiltered FB: on
- Dithering: off
- Screen smoothing: off
- Full vram: off
- Game fixes: on [00004002]

both of this configuration runs @ 59.x fps...with special/super skills, fps still runs like 49-50+...(lame fast with good display)

i will gladly post a new thread regarding this hint if i wont find any post like this..probably with screenshots...this will help people with lower pc specs to have a better display and fast gameplay...

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
in 1.7.0 the F7 key toggles the software plugin on/off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
in 1.7.0 the F7 key toggles the software plugin on/off.
oh ok...thanks.. so this is best applied in 2d games? thats why when i tried it in chrono cross, the characters becomes pixelated while the background becomes smoother...

Marvel Vs Capcom is a 2D game better use peops software plugin, fairly simple to configure just play with the resolution since your CPU isnt very strong i advise not meddling with Stretching and Dithering, for 3D games you can try Pete's Opengl or Pete's D3D, since its a ati card you have to set Vram in the plugin manually so you better check to see exact how much shared memory you have (your best choice is to check in bios there is a option for shared video memory its best that this is set at maximum at 128 for your config).
thanks alot...btw., is it possible for me to use shaders?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.