Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to all this encoding videos and stuff. I have ~4GB of home videos which are in avi format and take up a lot of space. So I've decided to convert them into a format which will take up much less space without sacrificing on quality. However, the feedback on the net is mixed, many software producers say that absolutely no quality is sacrificed, while others say that some quality is. But which is correct (as I can hardly trust software manufacturers for all their claims). And moreover, which format is better, Xvid, or DivX? And what are the best codecs out there for converting videos?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
13,064 Posts
Depends on how much of a tradeoof youre fine with.

ASP is more a reeditability choice than the best one (if for archiving of large collections, RMVB might actually be the better choice, as long as a reasonably non-low bitrate is used)

For ASP, Xvid is the obvious winner in about every area.

2 tools can be suggested for batch conversions for archival purposes (these 2 perform compressability checks of their own so that you dont have to calculate those yourself):
As usual with largescale archiving, try and see which methods you prefer, obviously.

- AutoGK
http://www.autogk.me.uk/

- RealAnime (conversions to RMVB or AVC):
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/RealAnime

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,479 Posts
Xvid provides more settings to play with as opposed to DivX and will get you better quality. (As long as you know what you are doing.)

AutoGK is a great program for both newbies and seasoned pro's (who aren't OCD about quality)

If you'd rather do it yourself, you can visit the forums over at Doom9.org. This is where I picked up a lot of knowledge concerning video encoding.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the help. I think I'll first make a copy of a small .avi file and play around with the settings to see which gives me the best results, before doing the lot.

I'll come again if I hit any hurdles.

·
Menthol Flavored
3,925 Posts
Make sure that you get yourself a DivX certified DVD player as well. They play both Xvid and DivX movies, and you can watch your home movies seamlessly with the family without having to do it from the computer using TV-out. Me and my girlfriend both have a Panasonic one that I got from Circuit City a while back for $40 bucks each which isn't bad at all. We can't live without it now. I also have a whole bunch of old analog movies that I converted to digital a few years back, but I have been holding off on cutting them, categorizing them and converting them for a while now. I'll probably convert to Xvid or DivX when I have the time. I just need to find a good video authoring application. I've tried all of the free ones and they don't have everything that I need to do the task. I'll probably have to resort to commercial software to do the task that I need to do.

BTW: Xvid and DivX both take quality away to achieve the smaller file sizes, but the quality loss is very, very minimal from what I have seen. Probably not that noticable to the naked eye. Both have the best compression that I have seen in any video format to date. I read that Xvid was better than Divx in many aspects, IIRC. I think I read that on Wikipedia.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,479 Posts
Not all DivX certified players will play Xvid encoded videos. There is a way to easily circumvent this though:

Just set the FOURCC code to 'DX50' or 'DIVX' instead of 'XVID' prior to encoding. If you didn't set this prior to encoding, you can use Nic's FOURCC Changer (included with Xvid in the Start Menu > Programs) to manually change it.

Also, DON'T use QPEL, GMC, Packed Bitstream, or more than 2 contiguous B-frames. Use of ANY of these are outside of the DivX certification specs. As a result, they may not play properly, if at all.

@TCOS
What are you looking for in the Video Software? Scene transitions, sound channel editing, customizable text, music tracks?

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I need to read a little more about this encoding stuff lol. I saw AutoGK's guide, and it said that the app does everything for you, so I just specified the input/output directories and hit the big red button. The result was a txt log file, and a 2MB file named <file name>.xvid.avi which was unplayable oO

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,479 Posts
Are you sure AutoGK was finished encoding? A small unplayable file is what results when Xvid is in the middle of performing its first encoding pass.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The log file said "job finished" so I'm pretty sure it finished whatever it was doing.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,479 Posts
The log file said "job finished" so I'm pretty sure it finished whatever it was doing.
:lol:
Yeah I guess AutoGK really does think it's finished.

A quick search and I found that some versions of AutoGK seem to have problems with encoding .avi files. (AutoGK is primarily for re-encoding DVDs) What version are you running?

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The latest stable release i.e. v2.55 :p Looks like I'll have to look for some other tool it seems.

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
Ever heard of h.264 format?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,479 Posts
The latest stable release i.e. v2.55 :p Looks like I'll have to look for some other tool it seems.
Good to see they finally updated it to include a version of Xvid with SMP.:p

I'm encoding an .avi right now and it *seems* to be working properly so far. I did notice a window open up on my taskbar where VirtualDubMod wanted me to agree with its GNU license. Until I realized it had opened a minimized window in my taskbar, I just sat there staring at the progress window stuck at 0%.:rolleyes:

Other than this, what codec is your original video encoded with? It may be encoded in a format that AutoGK can't pull up a graph on. Try right-clicking the video and check under the 'summary' tab. It may be able to tell you there.

EDIT: The video came out looking surprisingly good!oO Seems that the AutoGK team has reworked the automatic quality algorithms and also enabled VAQ lumi-masking. Friggin' sweet! I stopped using AutoGK several years ago in favor of a custom workflow that meets my own personal standard for quality vs. size.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@masta.g.86: lol sorry if I've been wasting your time here, but this is what I found out:

I got these videos from my uncle, the videos were actually shot quit a while back, when we didn't have a video cam. But he made all these videos and later converted them to a digital format using his TV tuner card. Brought them to my PC via USB Flash drive, seems like he'd done the hard work for me (or at least it think....)

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,479 Posts
So your original video was encoded with Xvid and AutoGK just churns out an unplayable .avi file? Dang, I'm kinda' stumped.:( The test video I used was encoded in Xvid and I re-encoded it to Xvid using 175MB as my specified target file size.

1.) Did you agree to VirtualDubMod's GNU license that I mentioned in my previous post? (pops up minimized in the taskbar after adding the job and clicking start)

2.) Did you install AutoGK with the default options?

3.) When you go to your original video's folder and set the folder viewing options to 'Thumbnails', does a thumbnail get generated?

4.) Do you have any codec packs installed? (besides CCCP)

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Hmm as far as I remember AutoGK prefers the audio in the file to be AC3 rather than MP3 or anything else like that.

One of the tools it automatically uses is VirtualDubMod, that's why the window pops up.

Gamefreak that's a failed encode, not AutoGKs norms.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,479 Posts
My test video was Xvid with MP3 audio. I used AutoGK 2.55 for consistency. The re-encoded video popped out just fine. :/

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Might have been just 2.45 then...or just a problem on my PC....I get many strange problems on my PC....for instance I am unable to use MSN at the moment and have to use Trillian...

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,479 Posts
If I remember correctly (it's been some years) AutoGK versions after 2.20 had problems encoding with .avi's. (seems to finally be fixed:))The questions I have posed for GF are to target whether it was a botched install or if there is a codec conflict going on.

The other problem that I am looking into is that his original video may have had an improper join. I'm purposely cutting out the I-frames at the beginning of a video and joining it at the end of another video. So far, it doesn't reproduce the problem. There are enormous quantization errors at the point where the join was made in the encoded video (as expected) but it doesn't crash.

Next I need to try encoding a video that doesn't begin with an I-frame.

EDIT: GF, can you attach / copy/paste the log file to your next post?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts