Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Posteur du dimanche
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all !
Here is my problem :
when I start my computer, the bios says "Second IDE channel no 80 conductor cable installed", so what does it mean ?? what's wrong with my PC ? May my second harddrive have a problem ?

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Basically that means that either you have an old type 40 pin ide cable inserted, or (less likely) you have the 80 pin cable inserted upside down. Without correcting this your hard disk will run slower than it should.

Open up the case, locate the cable and look for a blue plug on one end. If it doesn't have one, then it's the old type and you need to replace it. It should only cost a few bucks/euros/quids. However if it does have a blue end, plug that side into the motherboard, not into a hard disk.

·
Posteur du dimanche
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I already changed the cable,which is a 80 pin cable as the first, and always the same problem. The blue side is into the motherboard. Besides the second hard disk has sometimes some problems , I can't access it..., but when I restart, it works (and always the same message...). But the first hard disk works very good !! So ?

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
:hmmm:

Well if you have eliminated the cable as the source of the problem, that effectively leaves you either having a faulty drive, or a dodgy connector on the mobo.

I'd try plugging the hard disk into the primary channel as a test, and putting your cd/dvd drive onto the secondary (which is a better layout anyways, performance wise ;) ).

If the message still comes up on the secondary then you can be sure it's the mobo. Basically that means you'll either have to replace it, or get a raid ide card and use that instead (not ideal, but hey it works ;) ).

If it comes up on the primary then it's the drive. In which case simply bin that sucker.

·
Posteur du dimanche
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I started the computer without the second hard disk on the second ide channel and always the same message :rolleyes:
It seems to be due to the mobo ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts