Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have mostly had good luck with my games on the last run of epsxe (although i have yet to finish ff9 so I don't know about that one), however, there are some minor things I wish I could fix!

1. I use Pete's 1.51 OGL plugin on a GeForce 256 and it runs REALLY slow with Extended Offscreen Drawing on during the intro (and apparently only the intro... I guess it pre-loads/slideshows the pictures or something and it kills the memory on the card?) However, on 3d stuff it's just fine so I leave it be!

2. This one really bugs me... the faithfulness of the sounds in many games is CLOSE, but a little off sometimes (especially FF games). This is true no matter what plugin I use and I can't seem to figure out why. Examples are 'beepy-whistly' stuff in FF8, and the complete disappearnce of CD audio altogether after about 20 seconds in Bust a Groove, etc. Is there anything I can do on this or should I just wait for more plugins to arrive? However, the MIDI sounds have come a LONG way lately. MIDI based sound is perfect in nearly any game I can play now!

3. I use Windows 2000 on an Athlon 1.33Ghz with 256 MB DDR Ram right now (and the aforementioned Geforce 256) with an SBLive! (original). I still can't get Pete's audio plugin to work. Either I get repetitive clips of sound or NO sound at all! How should I get this to work in epsxe?

Feel free to reply to my email if you wish!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
extended offscreen isn t recommended.
Try to use the enhanced one...which is workin' perfect.
(For the intro meaning, u meant ff8 right? cuz' ff9 has a mdec for the intro...or u are speaking of the characters pictures.)
BTW, the memory card isn t doing anything...u should exchange the word memory card w/ VRAM in ur sentence.

Hum, for the sound probs, there s a buncha spu which are workin' great:
Null2 spu (discontinued :( ) ; iori spu ; or even the internal one (the most compatible at the moment).

Give them a try.
and for the info:
I ran w/ a p3 733mhz, 128 mb of sdram, a geforce256 like urself and a sb 512.
And all the games i ve tried works great w/ the graphics.
The sound, still have gliches, but perfect emulation doesn t exist heh (at least for now :D )

Bye

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Actually he didn't say "memory card" but "memory ON the card".
Watch closely when you read rargh;) .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no probs = )

I haven't tried Iori's plugin yet... maybe it will sound different. I wish I could get Pete's to work tho... =(

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Which game do U want to play?
If it is a Final Fantasy, u really should try the null2 1.35 spu..
No problems at all, great sounds (but, still, the mdecs are stuttering w/ it, so change the spu plugin just before a mdec, take the internal spu at that moment for example)

Bye

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mostly Null's sounds good in FF8, but in nearly all the PSX FF games (7, 8 and 9) there are minor differences. If you play them on a real PSX, the difference is clear: all the summons and monster attacks seem to suffer from some sound quality problems (they seem to be missing something, they sound very beepy-whistly, as opposed to the way they sounded in the game, which had great sound, I used to play them on my home theatre setup it was so good).

But perhaps I am being too picky =) I am a bit of an audio nut after all ;)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Yeah i think so :D (an home theater? geez...)

personnaly, I ve finished ff9 w/ epsxe and the sound was really sufficient, sure there were glitches but it s far enough to play don t u think?

Play at vagrant story *sigh* my PAL version has awfulll problems w/ the sound (bips when Ashley s walking, thunder sound in the intro is like that too and so on....). If u have heard that, u would say that the sound emulation is wonderful (like i do) ;)

Sawasdee

1 - 9 of 9 Posts