Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, not those problems. :) I made a point of browsing through here before I even tried to run the game, to make sure things ran as smoothly as possible. After reading some very helpful threads, I managed to get the game to look very nice, run at a steady framerate, never crash, and basically prove to me that it wasn't the nostalgia talking - it really is massively superior to Twin Snakes in every conceivable way. All was well!

Well, aside from a few minor things. They weren't enough to stop me from playing the game through, but if I could get rid of them before my next playthrough, it would be pretty awesome.

#1. Some of the 2D screens are not aligned correctly. The codec screen in particular stands out as being very off-centre (it's shifted to the right). This seems to happen regardless of what internal or external resolution I'm running the game at. Obviously, I can align these screens using my monitor's controls, but then the 3D screens are off-centre.

#2. (probably a side effect of #1) The farthest-right section of the FMV scenes displays on the far-left of the screen. So it's like the whole screen has been shifted to the right, and it's wrapped around to the other side. This doesn't happen with Silent Hill's FMV, which displays perfectly.

#3. All of the game's fancy camera/motion blur effects display correctly, and look very nice, except for one - the 'focus' effect. It looks absolutely horrendous. A similar effect occurs in Silent Hill, during the loading screens with Harry running (his motion blur is very blocky) and whenever one scene fades to the next (the entire screen becomes very blocky during the fade-out). I can see the logic behind why this happens, but if there's a way around it, I'd love to know it.

#4. I only ever do this by accident, but whenever I load a game and choose to view the mission log, arbitrary lines of text are missing completely. This really doesn't affect me, since I don't actually use the screen, but I thought it was kind of strange.

My main computer specs:
Gigabyte GA-7VA, AMD Barton XP2500+ (1.83ghz), 768mb RAM
Leadtek GeForce 6600GT
SB Audigy 2 ZS

My plugin info:
Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.6
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GFX card: GeForce 6600 GT/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!

Resolution/Color:
- 1280x960 Fullscreen - NO desktop changing
- Internal X resolution: 2
- Internal Y resolution: 2
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off
- No render-to-texture: off

- Filtering: 3
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- TexWin pixel shader: off
- VRam size: 128 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 0
- Framebuffer effects: 3
- Framebuffer uploads: 2

Misc:
- Scanlines: on [100]
- Mdec filter: on
- Screen filtering: on
- Shader effects: 0/1
- Flicker-fix border size: 0
- GF4/XP crash fix: on
- Game fixes: off [00002000]

---

This is EPSX 1.6.0, by the way.

Thanks in advance! These are all problems I've not heard about on these forums, and it could easily be that I'm simply expecting too much from an emulation, but again - if I could squash these problems, I would love to do so. :)

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
i beat MGS Integral with these settings:

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.1.75
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GFX card: GeForce 6800/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!

Resolution/Color:
- 640x480 Window mode
[32 Bit]- Keep psx aspect ratio: off

Textures:
- R8G8B8A8
- Filtering: 0
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- VRam size: 128 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 2
- Framebuffer texture: 2
- Framebuffer access: 0
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: on
- Advanced blending: on

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Line mode: off
- Unfiltered FB: off
- 15 bit FB: off
- Dithering: off
- Screen smoothing: off
- Screen cushion: off
- Game fixes: on [00000080]

i found OGL and its PC FPS calculation to be invaluable.

by the way, if you're goign to still use OGL2, dont use the GF4 crash fix. you dont have a GF4 ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I shall give this a try shortly! Thanks. :]

Also, speaking of Integral - I've come to live with the fact that MGS really doesn't like me doing anything that I wouldn't be able to do on a regular PSX, i.e. using savestates, or pausing the emulation - does this mean I won't be able to play the VR Missions disc? Because as far as I remember, it asks you to insert the original MGS disc during bootup. Switching ISOs requires the emulation to be paused...

I dunno, this is a question I could probably find the answer to easily, but I am now running away from my computer instead.

(and you're right about the GeForce4 fix; God knows when and why I switched that on)

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
I've never been able to run the VR disc, but I tried only with pesxe 1.5.x, it may work now

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I tried your settings, hushypushy - I generally prefer the look of mine, though yours did emulate that focus effect a bit better. I didn't get a chance to reach any FMV sequences, though the misaligned codec screen was still there (I just tried it on my PS2, and this is definitely not normal)... strange.

Oh, I also got a lot of random flickering on the codec and memory card screens. Sound familiar at all?

Also, while poking around the settings for OGL2, I noticed the special game fix for Capcom games to 'expand screen width,' and tried it out. As far as I can tell, this gives the codec screens the correct alignment, but also gives me glitchy flashy rainbow colours on the far right of the screen. Again, I didn't get a chance to try any FMV sequences (this game has far fewer than I remember it having).

The moral is HMMMM

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
a couple of points:

there is a VR Missions that's not in Integral, you know :p i bought MGSI in japan and i played that recently (i actually never tried MGS in emulator).

and anyway, i dont know anything about it asking you to insert the original disc in the emulator....i have MGS (regular and greatest hits), MGS VR missions, and MGS:Integral and i've never had to do that. when i put in the VR missions disc it played it like that.

however, if you want to switch discs (like between discs of MGS..) just wait till it tells you to put it in, press escape and go to File-->Change disc and there you go. but yeah, it's true that MGS hates when you use savestates.

using those settings i had near perfect emulation. i didnt use OGL2 because i noticed the game felt sluggish. it was running at 60 fps but felt slow. using OGL and the PC FPS calc special fix made it run fine.

if you want, you can turn on texture filtering and see how you like it. personally, i dont like texture filtering.

·
The Metal King
6 Posts
ps1 emu on the ps2

even on the ps2 i have noticed that if you changed the settings on the ps1 driver, the graphics would come out bad. :nono:

so heres what you should do:
A) play it on a real ps2 or...
B) if you're into emulation (like me) give this download a shot. :guitar:

if anyone wants to try you can use the config file that i used on my epsxe 1.6.0. you may have to make a few changes though. :guitar:
Just so you know i'm using a gamepad so if you don't have one you'll have to change that one too.

intel celeron 2.3 GHz processor, Intel(R) 82845G graphics controller, 248MB ram, MPU-401 compatible MIDI device.

Emulator plugins for Metal Gear (SLUS-00594 greatest hits version)

video - P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver 1.16
sound- P.E.Op.S. DSound Audio Driver 1.9
cd - SaPu's Cd-rom plugin 1.0

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the thought, but honestly... those settings are pretty ugly. :dance:

Plus they don't solve the focus effect glitch anyway.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is there any one in particular that you're thinking of? I've tried quite a few, and while they usually make the game look nice in general, the moment that filter is triggered, it turns to hell.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Perhaps it's a problem specific to my videocard or drivers? Next time I play I'll get pics of the same scene with it on and off. Sadly, I can't get a pic of how it looks on a real PSX, but from the sounds of things, that's what you might be getting. We shall see!

Could you post a picture yourself?

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
well i dont have any memory card saves except at the very end of the game...if you have an NTSC MGS or MGSI memory card next to a spot with this effect ill take a shot for ya.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts