Asus K7V Slot A motherboard
AMD athlon 840mhz (k7v chip)
128 SDRAM 133mhz
50x Cd-Rom (creative)
10 G.B Harddrive (quantum brand)
1.44 Floppy
Voodoo3 2000 16MB 146mhz
creative labs soundblaster live value
1 box fan and 1 cpu fan. (dunno its brand)

I'm asking this because I want to do some overnight downloading.
When my computer is on the sound of my computer can be heard from a room 10 meters across from mines. Is this normal?? Are there solutions to lower the sounds from the fan, HD, CD etc. without putting my computer at risk??

·
Registered
513 Posts
>Is this normal??
Looking at your specs it doesn't seem as if your computer should be old enough that you'd have to worry about fan failure or somesuch. Generally just prior to their dying a fan will make quite a bit of noise, the same is true of hard drives. However, it's most likely that your problems are either related to something that's poorly secured to your box's chassis or is naturally loud.

You can look for poorly secured objects in your computer by opening the case and looking to see if anything is moving about and/or rattling. If so, look to see if its support screws are in any way loose.

>HD
Hard drives that were created before the move to 7,200 spindle speeds generally are louder than newer ones. If you'd rather not consider getting another drive, you might want to see if your HD supports spin down, though that'd have a minimal effect if you're downloading overnight.

>CD
Variable speed drives (which constitutes most drives out there today) tend to sound like jets taking off. While this is rather annoying, it is, however, normal. The best way to stop a CD-Rom drive from making noise is to simply remove the CD that's in it ;)

Some cheaper (and even some fairly expensive) fans can produce quite a bit of noise even while operating normally. The box fan that originally came with my case was terribly loud, even with nothing more than the fan and power supply in the case. I replaced it with a smaller, generic case fan and placed a Golden Orb* cooler/heat sink combo on my proc and have been very happy with it. Note too that if the internal temperature of your computer's case is higher, the fans will have to work harder, and thusly produce more noise. The solution then would be to try and cool your computer through some other means, usually accomplished through better ventilation.

If all else fails, you could probably set up some sound buffering material around your computer. A store that sells alot of audio-related products may be able to provide you with some.

I have no idea if either of my suggestions are helpful, good luck.

*- http://www.asis-computing.com/ProductInfo/thermaltake_orb.htm

·
Registered
345 Posts
My brothers fan used to make a lot of noise he took it out and cleaned the dust and grime off and it sounded alot better

my old case didnt secure very well so i got a new one (cases are only about 40-60 US$) but that still might be too expensive of a solution.

good luck in solving your problem

·
Registered
310 Posts
i think it normal for your pc to produce loud sounds like that. from what i have heard athlon cpus tend to build heat fast therefore needing powerful fans which can produce loud sounds.

my solution: if your pc doesn't build heat that much put a thick cloth or towel over it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I dont think its normal for today's PC's to make much noise.

I have a 1.2 GHz Athlon and i can barely hear the fans when im sitting down at my comp typing. Also, if your hard drive is being accessed alot, increasing your RAM will decrease the amount that it needs to be accessed since more of the information can be stored in memory and it doesnt need to be read off the hard drive. Also, defragmenting your hard drive frequently decreases the access time needed to find the information since it puts related files closer to each other

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
You obviously haven't heard mine then. One machine has got 8 fans in it (1 in PSU, 1 on chip, 1 on geforce 2, 2 extras above psu, 1 extractor above the chip and 2 at front to prevent a vaccuum :D). The other machine has 3 (1 on chip, 1 in psu and 1 at front). Thats 11 fans in total. The neighbours must think that I have ajet engine or somethin' in here:D

Ps I can sleep ok with that racket.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
the CPU fan noise should be almost nothing
the Box fan noise should also be nothing, otherwise it's cheap to replace.

My guess is your HD. No solution to that, except replacing the whole drive. However, if Quantum advertises your HD should operate below certain decibel level, and it doesn't, you can ask them to replace it for you under warranty.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Originally posted by Betamax
You obviously haven't heard mine then. One machine has got 8 fans in it (1 in PSU, 1 on chip, 1 on geforce 2, 2 extras above psu, 1 extractor above the chip and 2 at front to prevent a vaccuum :D). The other machine has 3 (1 on chip, 1 in psu and 1 at front). Thats 11 fans in total. The neighbours must think that I have ajet engine or somethin' in here:D

Ps I can sleep ok with that racket.
wow...
thats lotsa fans... if i may ask, why do u have some much? OverOverclocking?

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Partly overclocking, partly paranoia, partly because it was the only case I could find with a powerful enough PSU. (This was about a month after athlons came out.)

The damn case cost me £100 ($139.074 ) but it came with a free mobile phone. :cool:

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
Originally posted by mecharmor23
Asus K7V Slot A motherboard
AMD athlon 840mhz (k7v chip)
128 SDRAM 133mhz
50x Cd-Rom (creative)
10 G.B Harddrive (quantum brand)
1.44 Floppy
Voodoo3 2000 16MB 146mhz
creative labs soundblaster live value
1 box fan and 1 cpu fan. (dunno its brand)

I'm asking this because I want to do some overnight downloading.
When my computer is on the sound of my computer can be heard from a room 10 meters across from mines. Is this normal?? Are there solutions to lower the sounds from the fan, HD, CD etc. without putting my computer at risk??
Sounds like it is time to clean the computer.

If it is the hard drive is making the noise then it is warning sign that your hard drive will fail soon.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Originally posted by Betamax
Partly overclocking, partly paranoia, partly because it was the only case I could find with a powerful enough PSU. (This was about a month after athlons came out.)

The damn case cost me £100 ($139.074 ) but it came with a free mobile phone. :cool:
ehehhehe
wait some time and mobile phones will start coming out in cereal boxes ;) now thats a strange offer ;)

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
... and with every 8 tokens collected from packets of fosted chocolated sugar rice flakes you recieve a free nokia 3310 with a hands free kit.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
230 Posts
Humm... My computer is not loud at all. In all actuallity, i can barely hear it and its right next to me...

I bought an antec power supply that produces white noise and it made my case considerably quieter...

I have the boxed fan for my PIII, a fan on my GeForce card, a fan on my chipset, a (large) fan sucking air in at the front, and a medium fan blowing air out in the back..

The fans i bought make very little noise, and they are just some genric fans i bought at frys...

The kenwood truex cdroms are extreamly quiet, because they use muti-beam lazers to read mutiple tracks at once instead of spinning the disk really fast to reach there speed...

Also, some harddrives have diffrent settings that can affect the noise they produce... You can switch the setting via software from the manufactuere.. I think its maxtor or quantum... (well, quantum and maxtor are now once company when it comes to HD's)...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts