Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to solder your Xbox pad wire to a USB one? (link please)

Does it matter what point you cut the Xbox cord. What are those dongle things for?
Help! I am useless at soldering.

¦: ¬ (

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
Ya try another forum, but from what I've read in other forums to connect the pad to the usb it shouldn't matter where you cut it as long as it's somewhere in the middle. You can try really long cords but those may not work. After you cut it it is a fairly easy process of connecting similarily coloured wires. There may also be an eztra wire which is a (ground, plugins, I don't know) wire that dosen't connect to anything. But after you solder it all together your computer should detect it as a device. If not try manually adding a gamepad.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Or you can go to amazon.com and buy Hacking the Xbox. It has an excellent tutorial explained so even anyone with no experience can figure it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I posted this in one of my gaming community forums a week ago. It looks like it'll answer the question here. The image links may be going away in two weeks when I change jobs, but until then, there are some quick shots of the 1st attempt. Old usb mice cords are great for this.

How to convert an XBox controller to a USB controller

Warning: It worked for me, however YMMV :twisted:

I almost bought a $15 usb converter and then I said to myself, I have a spare controller, let's give this a shot.

Tools:
  • Xbox controller
  • USB cable with male end
  • utility blade/razor
  • tape/solder
  • dykes
Image 1

1. Snip cable. I suggest snipping it after the plug connector (nearest the end of the cable) so if you botch it up and want to go back to a full Xbox controller, you only need a new patch end or just rewire the original.

image 2

2. Cut back the cable jacket on both the XBOX patch end and the USB cable. My USB cable came from a $2.50 Intel Play Camera that only worked under 98.

image 3

3. Match the wire ends up and connect them. I used black electrical tape for the first test. Note the yellow wire is not needed.

From Xbox-linux.org

USB cables

A standard USB cable has 4 wires in it, plus shield:

* red: VCC (5Volt, max. 100mA/500mA)
* black: Gnd
* white: D0-
* green: D0+ (I've seen a blue wire used instead here by some USB cables)
* shield: Drain-wire (usually connected to the case)

The Xbox cable shown above consists of the usual four USB wires plus the special yellow one mentioned above, plus shield:

* red: VCC (5Volt)
* black: Gnd
* white: D0-
* green: D0+
* yellow: special Xbox (lightpen??)
* shield: Drain-wire (usually connected to the case)

The four wires (red, black, white and green) are like the standard USB ones described above. Securely connect the two wire sets. Make sure the tape job is snug to reduce the stress of pulls. A loop at the junction isn't a bad idea for best protection.

4. Attach it to your PC

image 4

Drivers
  • XBCD Source Code Windows 98/2000/XP - XBCD_all_src.cab
  • All Digital Buttons Version 0.43 Windows 98/2000/XP - XBCD_digital_v43.cab <-xbcd.sys
Driver installation

Play away.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
shadow_tj said:
when you need to buy a new usb cable you also spent 15 dollar :)

anyone who spends more than $10 on a usb cable thats shorter than 6 feet is an idiot. you can get standard usb cables from dollar general or big lots for about a buck.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Bgnome said:
anyone who spends more than $10 on a usb cable thats shorter than 6 feet is an idiot. you can get standard usb cables from dollar general or big lots for about a buck.
You may not have noticed but shadow_tj lives in the netherlands (I think), so the value of money is different there.

·
Registered
350 Posts
blueshogun96 said:
You may not have noticed but shadow_tj lives in the netherlands (I think), so the value of money is different there.
Yes, he does, i rember seeing the in his profile (or site?)

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
yeah i`m from the netherlands :)
when buying stuff for the computer i wished sometimes i lived in the us :)
its lot cheaper there.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
I always thought dutch money was worth more then the american dollar...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Stuff in the US is cheeper but shipping is annoyingly expensive, if somebody set up a company that did 4-6 week shipping to the rest of the world, i might get more of the stuff from the US, because any saving is killed by the shipping costs.

Now back to the topic:
I know that the USB port on the XBOX is modified, so its close to USB 2.0 if not USB 2.0, does that mean that when you use it on your PC you need to be running it on USB 2.0 to get the rumble?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll be honest, I haven't gotten the rumble to work yet, nor have I really set out to play with it much as I mainly just wanted a usb gamepad at the time. The site above with the installation drivers also has a setup program that includes a panel for intensity of the rumble signal for both motors. I am assuming at this time that it does work with that particular driver set. But you know assumptions...

:eyemove:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts