Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

i'm keen to know if it's possible for programmers to write drivers/programs that
can damage to hardwares/cpus ?

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
Possible? Certainly. Just overwrite a device's firmware with nonsense. Remember the Mandrake Linux (was it 9 or 10?) disaster? Due to design flaws, common instructions in LiteOn (I think?) drives caused it to clear the firmware. Happened during the install. Instant dead drive that needs to be returned to the manufacturer, left lots of people with dead machines.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
how about a virus that overides your overclocking setting in your video card drivers and raise it real high or one that uses software to alter your FSB or voltage?

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
you don't need such thing... there are so many people that are so unresponsible, that the doo such thing like too much overlocking and so without any knowlage, experience... and damage their hardware... that's sad ...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Snake785 said:
They were LG CD Drives.

sportster00: you aren't planning on writing such a driver/application, are you? :p
No, i do not have such skills and heart. I asked because i like to download drivers/softwares, and to widen my knowledge. Anyway my progamming level
is low, exampe; modifiying programs with guidlines. :laugh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts