Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a laptop with an intel integrated graphics 2 card. Now obviously this isn't the best card out there but I was wondering if there is some kind of software pixel shader program so I could run games like Prince of Persia on my laptop. Games which require pixel shaders. I found the TnL software emulator, so I would assume there was one for pixel shaders as well. I'd be grateful for a link.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
3d analyzer is currently the best. It does the job well with geforce4mx440. I am not sure it will work for intel integrated graphics card though.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, ill try it. thanks!

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
It doesn't emulate PS, it simply tells the game/program that the videocard supports them, bypassing the check. Most games won't look correct this way, mostly not playable.

POP: SoT looked fine on my MX440, sans any water or sand effects. It also ran pretty crappily too, I wouldn't really call it "playable" at least by my standards, which aren't very high. :p

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Was* ;)

·
Forgot this place existed
100 Posts
there is/was a PS2.0 software emulator in devlopement, but seems like it isn't done yet. Anyway, emulating the PS2.0 would be so complex that it would run realllllly show (like less than 1fps).

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well... hum so i tried using 3d analyse and some games run, some don't. I was hoping for more of a real pixel shader emulator, that actually "shaded pixels" lol but since it seems they don't have one as of yet I guess I'm stuck.

·
100 Posts
why would you like to run a PS2.0 emulator to make a game run if it takes 99.9% of your CPU and the game is way too slow?

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
i think rivatuner has some option like that...

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Is it possible to write your own pixel shader? If so, how?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Sort of off topic, but I might as well ask. Is there a program that will force pixel shader instructions in direct3d? Right now I'm using the latest catalyst drivers from ati, but there isn't a blur shader available for direct3d in the smartshaders section, only for opengl.

·
100 Posts
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sw-shader/
OR
http://sw-shader.sourceforge.net/features.html

Seems like they improved the performance after I talked to the guy, long time I didn't check:

swShader is a DirectX 9-like software renderer, including efficient shader emulation using soft-wiring technology and MMX/SSE assembly optimizations.

This version offers ps 2.0 and vs 2.0 support. It also features a fixed-function pixel pipeline with 8 texture stages, and a vertex pipeline for transformation, diffuse & specular lighting.

Additionally, great performance increases have been achieved using a vertex cache, triangle batching and copy propagation. The latter is a new feature of SoftWire, swShaders code generation core...

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
So what does this sw-shader really do ? I mean, will it enable me to play games that require pixel/vertex shaders on a non supporting video card ?

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
I'm not sure if it can help you emulate PS/VS on those games yet. It looks to be mostly showing demos of using it. No actuall file to incorporate into actual PC games. I did try a few of the demos. Looks promising, but it's slow even at low resolutions(640x480) and the demos use fairly simplistic shaders.

Maybe if you had an Athlon64 FX 55, but having the CPU do all the pixel shading calculations is going to be taxing on even the fastest CPU.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts